NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #841 of 4,019

Quote:
thanks a lot for your opinion!  The thing I don't like about the Sony Nwz-A829 is that is quite bassy, really warm and the soundstage is really narrow compared to the cowon j3.  Those were the main features that put me off Sony walkmans for a while. So I turned to the Cowons and used them instead.  I was curious cos I have heard a lot of rave reviews for the Sony Z walkman and a part of me thinks, they have improved the sound quality since the A series...and if it is a dramatic change, then it will be worth in getting one if that is the case.

The Z is more to the neutral side.

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #842 of 4,019
I have the X1060 and compared to the A829 the X serieis is a warmer sig and has more bass emphasis and the A829 is more neutral brighter sounding to me with a bit more emphasis towards the top end, have listened to both with my JH16pros & Sony Z1000 Headphones.  For me the X series was still better than this follow up A829 for over all SQ. 

Is the Z more neutral than the X series then?, as what i can gather the SQ has improved on the Z series in general but want to know if it has kept the warmth of the X or not.

Can anyone actually definitively say whether or not the new A86x Walkman is the same SQ as the Z series or if they do differ (and if so in what way) with having the same MX amp? 

Had read somewhere on here (cannot find it now) that someone had reported the new A86x was not quite as good as the Z solely SQ wise despite both having MX amp. 

Asking this question as I am a unfortunate UK citizen still holding fire on the Z1070 as I am reluctant to pull trigger on importing from Japan with the high cost and have now seen amp3 have the A867 64gb currently @ £200 which is tempting but do not want to go down that route if it is somehow not quite as good as the Z SQ.

Don't really want to be let down again like the A829 did as I thought that model took a bit of a step back from the X I have.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #843 of 4,019

Quote:
I have the X1060 and compared to the A829 the X serieis is a warmer sig and has more bass emphasis and the A829 is more neutral brighter sounding to me with a bit more emphasis towards the top end, have listened to both with my JH16pros & Sony Z1000 Headphones.  For me the X series was still better than this follow up A829 for over all SQ. 

Is the Z more neutral than the X series then?, as what i can gather the SQ has improved on the Z series in general but want to know if it has kept the warmth of the X or not.

Can anyone actually definitively say whether or not the new A86x Walkman is the same SQ as the Z series or if they do differ (and if so in what way) with having the same MX amp? 

Had read somewhere on here (cannot find it now) that someone had reported the new A86x was not quite as good as the Z solely SQ wise despite both having MX amp. 

Asking this question as I am a unfortunate UK citizen still holding fire on the Z1070 as I am reluctant to pull trigger on importing from Japan with the high cost and have now seen amp3 have the A867 64gb currently @ £200 which is tempting but do not want to go down that route if it is somehow not quite as good as the Z SQ.

Don't really want to be let down again like the A829 did as I thought that model took a bit of a step back from the X I have.

If you check first few pages of thread you'll find that people have stopped using their A865's in favour of the Z-Series (my A-Series was an A865 & not a A829, I get confused) , that also goes for the X-Series (there's a lot of good comparisons early in the thread)..... it is now Turok's main player and he has some seriously good DAP's.

Think one or two of us have found a very helpful seller on eBay from Japan give us a week & we'll post results... it could save you lots
wink_face.gif

If you go for the Euro-version of the A865 please remember that the volume cap is set at probably the lowest level of any Sony player so you'll probably need to amp it if you like your music loud... UK version of WM-Z is said to be good.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #845 of 4,019

Quote:
If you check first few pages of thread you'll find that people have stopped using their A865's in favour of the Z-Series (my A-Series was an A865 & not a A829, I get confused) , that also goes for the X-Series (there's a lot of good comparisons early in the thread)..... it is now Turok's main player and he has some seriously good DAP's.

Think one or two of us have found a very helpful seller on eBay from Japan give us a week & we'll post results... it could save you lots
wink_face.gif

If you go for the Euro-version of the A865 please remember that the volume cap is set at probably the lowest level of any Sony player so you'll probably need to amp it if you like your music loud... UK version of WM-Z is said to be good.

Cheer's Ok-Guy, I thought there was some comparisons somewhere, I thought it was half way through I had seen them on this thread, I did not go back far enough! been a while since I have been on here as I have been in two minds. 

Ah, did not realize the volume cap on the A865 was low again, if it is as bad as the A829 model then it is definitely a no go, I thought Sony had learned from the A829 saga of volume capping if it is the case the A865 is no better.  I was not sure thought with it been exclusive to Amp3 originally if the batch was imported so would not be volume capped but realize these would still have to be EU models for a reputable company such as Amp3 to not be breaking any trading legislation's.

Quote:

Got my Z1070 from Japan yesterday for £335... it will be here on Thursday and will tell you final cost then.... gotta love fedex.

Well, that price is better than I had been seeing a month or two ago and is not far off the RRP of UK stock so will be interested to see what your import duty bill will be when it comes through, hopefully will be no more than £50 at worst i would of thought? 

Keep us posted then on how it goes with your experience with your eBay seller ; )

Even if this Z was under £300 all in,  I might still be in two minds as I was hoping for a Walkman that was bigger than my X, but not to the extent it was the size of my old HTC HD2 phone! Should of been around Ipod touch size but they obviously wanted to avoid that parallel spec with Apple, and some thing as simple as omission of the tactile playback buttons that where on top of the X series was bit of a shock, this feature should be sacrilege for touch screen Walkmans. 

I like to think I can hold out if my X Walkman can until next years models are released and time seams to be going faster the older I get so think it will not be that long until Sony bring out a 3.7  inch screen with tactile buttons on top with maybe 64gb available to UK with acceptable volume cap if any at all and that 12 months will fly by but I am worried if I actually hear this Z series I will melt! 

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #846 of 4,019

Quote:
Ah, did not realize the volume cap on the A865 was low again, if it is as bad as the A829 model then it is definitely a no go, I thought Sony had learned from the A829 saga of volume capping if it is the case the A865 is no better.  

Keep us posted then on how it goes with your experience with your eBay seller ; )

Even if this Z was under £300 all in,  I might still be in two minds as I was hoping for a Walkman that was bigger than my X, but not to the extent it was the size of my old HTC HD2 phone! Should of been around Ipod touch size but they obviously wanted to avoid that parallel spec with Apple, and some thing as simple as omission of the tactile playback buttons that where on top of the X series was bit of a shock, this feature should be sacrilege for touch screen Walkmans. 

I like to think I can hold out if my X Walkman can until next years models are released and time seams to be going faster the older I get so think it will not be that long until Sony bring out a 3.7  inch screen with tactile buttons on top with maybe 64gb available to UK with acceptable volume cap if any at all and that 12 months will fly by but I am worried if I actually hear this Z series I will melt! 

Unforunately the A865 I got from Amazon was pitifully low..... still that's history now.

My eBay seller has done everything I asked and confirmed it all after he sent the Z1070.... so here's hoping for the perfect outcome.

I too would have prefered physical buttons as well as a touch screen for 'in the pocket' convenience... one step forward, two steps back appears to be the Sony way.

I'd stay away from anyone who has a WM-Z if you aint got one, you wouldn't melt..... you'd vapourise with excitement
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #848 of 4,019
Aww man, my market is broken. I keep getting the retry/cancel prompt when I go to the market. I tried clearing cache, date, and removing updates and nothing is working. Will I be forced to hard reset my player? :frowning2:

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #851 of 4,019
I have not used my A865 since the day I bought my walkman z.  The A865 sound is good but the Z is....just better

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #853 of 4,019

Quote:
Ah, did not realize the volume cap on the A865 was low again, if it is as bad as the A829 model then it is definitely a no go, I thought Sony had learned from the A829 saga of volume capping if it is the case the A865 is no better. 

When 'alphabetagaga' receives his Z1070 he will be able to tell you what the differences in the volume levels are between Euro & non Euro models are as he'd of had both in his hands so is best to advise.... I rarely have mine on full whack as it is very loud at max volume, if I do it's normally if I'm out & about but mine is a US-version (now sold to a fellow head-fi'er).

Sometimes I just don't think Sony gets its own market..... with the original Walkman... then the mini-disc Sony was the rave of most audiophiles for music on the move..... with mp3's it's like they keep testing the water so to speak.... imo with a couple of tweaks (physical buttons, a decent Dac'able output and a SD slot) they would of had the class leader as the soundstage is immense and SQ is sublimely detailed..... I fear that the iBasso will trump the WM-Z because of more to do with connectivity than SQ, the iBasso will have more options to take it to another level as a Dap and that certainly appeals (I really cannot see the SQ being that much better if at all), though for SQ alone I don't think many of the top end Daps will equal the WM-Z's neutrality & ability to reproduce great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back