NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 24, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #811 of 4,019
Sony, why you no release a case at the same time with the Z1000 series WM in Canada?  They have been released in Japan and UK already.  I talked to the sales guy at the Sony Store and he had no idea when they were going to be getting in any cases.  He was kinda disappointed too as the margin should be high on these.  All the other cases on ebay cost a small fortune when you factor in shipping.  The other manufacturers like Tuff-Love has not release anything yet.  I have quite a few leather cases from them.   Luckily I was able to find good cheap screen protector which is the most important to me.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #812 of 4,019

Quote:
Remember guys, you can update the music and photo app in the Android market. Just do a search for it.

Thanks,

Just noticed the updates for these 2 apps in the notification screen as I was reading your post.
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #814 of 4,019

The sound is just great, i've had a few sony devices since they started, my A818 is still alive  after having it lost on airplanes too often... It's great to hear how far sony got and how serious they take the mp3 market. The Z1070 sounds effortless, natural and smooth with absolutely no noise and great control over all headphones i tried. The headphone out sounds more than good enough for all my needs (Ultrasone :D)

Having my ARC S next to the Z1070 the phone looks like a cheap toy.. :/

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #815 of 4,019

Quote:

The sound is just great, i've had a few sony devices since they started, my A818 is still alive  after having it lost on airplanes too often... It's great to hear how far sony got and how serious they take the mp3 market. The Z1070 sounds effortless, natural and smooth with absolutely no noise and great control over all headphones i tried. The headphone out sounds more than good enough for all my needs (Ultrasone :D)

Having my ARC S next to the Z1070 the phone looks like a cheap toy.. :/

nice split photo... enjoy you WM-Z

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #816 of 4,019

Quote:
Hello, I would like to know if Sony Z series compared to a Portable DAC, E17, which one will have better sound? I'm just using a UM3X though.

The WM-Z sound is amazing so is the amp, being new to all this I really don't know how to advise but perhaps Turok, Curator or UEL are best placed to offer comment on that side of things.

I have the Walkman Z1060 and after considerable thought I have decided to sell it... yes sell it, after only 3weeks and uploading 1500+ songs in mp3-320k.... am I disappointed with it?... NO!!!

I'm buying the Walkman Z1070 (64gb) from Japan.... I absolutely love this DAP so I'm going 'lossless'.

ps... my WM-Z1060 32gb is for sale in UK (US version not Euro Volume capped) if anyones interested 'pm' me (before I list on fleabay).... full one-year warranty, 3yr Accidental Insurance available from Sony... immaculate condition.

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #817 of 4,019

Quote:
The WM-Z sound is amazing so is the amp, being new to all this I really don't know how to advise but perhaps Turok, Curator or UEL are best placed to offer comment on that side of things.

I have the Walkman Z1060 and after considerable thought I have decided to sell it... yes sell it, after only 3weeks and uploading 1500+ songs in mp3-320k.... am I disappointed with it?... NO!!!

I'm buying the Walkman Z1070 (64gb) from Japan.... I absolutely love this DAP so I'm going 'lossless'.

ps... my WM-Z1060 32gb is for sale in UK (US version not Euro Volume capped) if anyones interested (before I list on fleabay).... full one-year warranty, 3yr Accidental Insurance available from Sony... immaculate condition.

Ugh, you are making me considering if I should buy the 32/64gb from Japan, instead of the 16gb that is available at the local store :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #818 of 4,019

Quote:
Ugh, you are making me considering if I should buy the 32/64gb from Japan, instead of the 16gb that is available at the local store :frowning2:

the minimum I'd go for is 32gb & that is available everywhere (Z1060), ask you local store to get one in.

the only reason I bought a US-version was I didn't want a euro-cap after my experiances with the A-Series (a friend bought it in Canada for me & shipped it to UK)..... also, the only reason I am purchasing the Z1070 64gb from Japan is that it's only available there.... hope that clears any confusion.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #819 of 4,019
You guys. I want to know something. Apple has had 160GB iPods now for many, many years. Why hasn't any other company matched this? Every new portable music device has inferior memory compared to Apple. I don't doubt that Sony's Z-Series sounds better than the iPod but I just can't figure out why Sony (or anyone else) can't match Apple's memory. Any theories?

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #820 of 4,019

Quote:
You guys. I want to know something. Apple has had 160GB iPods now for many, many years. Why hasn't any other company matched this? Every new portable music device has inferior memory compared to Apple. I don't doubt that Sony's Z-Series sounds better than the iPod but I just can't figure out why Sony (or anyone else) can't match Apple's memory. Any theories?

Nobody cares. Isn't the answer as simple as that? Isn't that why none of the big companies stepped up their game?

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #821 of 4,019

Quote:

Well, I think it's all about reliability and costs. 160GB in such small device you can get from HDD and they're made of mechanical elements. I don't know how much durable are 1.8-inch HDD but NAND memory are definitely more solid. Next things are power usage and used space. Here also NAND memories are ahead.

That's my opinion.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #822 of 4,019

Quote:

Jobs somehow convinced the hi-fi world that the iPod was the greatest device since the gramophone was invented unfortunately they believed the Apple hype & they made lots of 'made for iPod' products (best marketing for a product ever imo)..... then he convinced consumers of his much beloved crap SQ products to put their entire music collection onto the device and sell their CD collections, it was progress & fkk the sound quality as that was secondary.... now many millions bought into the hype but had to suffer the ignominy of inferior products compared to other brands so Apple's answer was 'to up the storage & to con manufactures into making DAC's that would make the iPod sound minimally credible as a DAP, unfortunately for Apple..... after arriving late to the dinner table that Apple was greedily scoffing in all the profits at, other makers such as iBasso, Colorfly, Hifiman, Sony and the like decided to go the other route and produce decent sounding mp3 players and over the last few years these have developed into being fantastic sounding players that no iPod can get close to on it's own..... now most of these players have unlimited storage capabilities if you use SD-Cards apart from the Sony which has a 64gb max, I have over 500 CD's in my music library though I can honestly say that about 350 of those CD's I probably only like 2-3 tracks on the album so that is all I'll load onto the WM-Z, the rest will prob have about 4-6 tracks with about 100 albums being uploaded in their entirety so I will get no where near the 64GB limit but will probably need more than 32gb in loss-less format.

At the end of the day you buy a DAP for your requirements and not because you want to follow the herd..... storage only comes into the equation if you really 'must' have all your album collection on your iPod..... think it works out to about 1000 complete albums storage wise.... ask yourself do you have that many CD's... if the answer is no, do yourself a big favour and at least chose a DAP with a good SQ.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #823 of 4,019

Quote:

Well, I think it's all about reliability and costs. 160GB in such small device you can get from HDD and they're made of mechanical elements. I don't know how much durable are 1.8-inch HDD but NAND memory are definitely more solid. Next things are power usage and used space. Here also NAND memories are ahead.

That's my opinion.

I think he was referring to the type of sound chips used in the recent players which are probably not as good, not so much the memory.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #825 of 4,019

Quote:
the minimum I'd go for is 32gb & that is available everywhere (Z1060), ask you local store to get one in.

the only reason I bought a US-version was I didn't want a euro-cap after my experiances with the A-Series (a friend bought it in Canada for me & shipped it to UK)..... also, the only reason I am purchasing the Z1070 64gb from Japan is that it's only available there.... hope that clears any confusion.

Well, in Singapore, they only decide to launch the 16gb ONLY. Not sure why Sony Singapore would make such a decision. I'm not willing to buy it online though :frowning2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back