NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #722 of 4,019

Quote:
i used sonicstage 4.3 to rip the cd to atrac, non protectrd etc. i'll give 5 a go. i use windows explorer to put the files in the 'music' folder on the walkman. dont think mediago is relative to this issue

Agree, so still no luck...?

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #724 of 4,019

Quote:
ATRAC is not natively supported with the U.S. version. It is supported with the Japanese version. You will have to use another player to try to get it to work with the U.S. version.

Thanks for the update, but WHY?????SONY WHY??????

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #725 of 4,019

Quote:
ATRAC is not natively supported with the U.S. version. It is supported with the Japanese version. You will have to use another player to try to get it to work with the U.S. version.

that is what i thought. would be the same in the uk/eu versions then too. began to wonder when the specs of the uk version did not mention atrac in my post above but does here for the japanese version

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fproduct.pconline.com.cn%2Fmp4%2Fsony%2F498793.html&act=url

at least that has solved my query and i can focus now on enjoying this fantastic product
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #728 of 4,019
Hey guys I just got the u.s. version, and this should tell you my feelings on the player. I purchased one immediately when it came out off of the website, and sadly a pixel had died in the screen. I loved the sound so much when I went out to return it to the website shipping facility I stopped by a sony store to buy the replacement immediately so I wouldnt have to wait 4-6 weeks for them to credit my account, and of course this time I bought the warranty lol. I went from a regular htc evo shift 4g and my klipsch image one headphones to the sony. Boy what a difference, and even better with the fiio line out cable and e6 amplifier. I feel like I do not have to do anything else, and this is with 320 kbps mp3's . I feel like i've been selling my headphones short all this time. Granted it is a high price tag, but it does say it's for music lovers by music lovers. If you love music, and can burn the money i would say go for it. My only issue is I wish they had a 64 gb in the u.s., but nobody ever said Sony's business strategies have to make sense lol.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #729 of 4,019
Oh and on the android side of things. There are a couple of things to bare in mind. First is if you are like me and like to download large files with the device over wifi like a music album it could be annoying because the wifi seems to auto turn itself off after a period of inactivity as a battery saving measure. I have found no way to turn this function off so the wifi will stay on even with the screen off for a while. If anybody finds a way around that let me know. Another thing is some applications simply do not work yet for this device. WatchESPN for instance doesnt work for this, but yet it does for my evo shift which is a weaker device. Also a game like NFL Pro HD 2012 will run sloppily on my evo shift but if you try to get it on the market place with the Z it isnt even available, even though it likely has the juice to run it. So that is something to consider on that end. Overall though, it is a music player, and most of the apps i like work so it's ok with me.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #730 of 4,019

Quote:
Oh and on the android side of things. There are a couple of things to bare in mind. First is if you are like me and like to download large files with the device over wifi like a music album it could be annoying because the wifi seems to auto turn itself off after a period of inactivity as a battery saving measure. I have found no way to turn this function off so the wifi will stay on even with the screen off for a while. If anybody finds a way around that let me know. Another thing is some applications simply do not work yet for this device. WatchESPN for instance doesnt work for this, but yet it does for my evo shift which is a weaker device. Also a game like NFL Pro HD 2012 will run sloppily on my evo shift but if you try to get it on the market place with the Z it isnt even available, even though it likely has the juice to run it. So that is something to consider on that end. Overall though, it is a music player, and most of the apps i like work so it's ok with me.

Glad you liked it, congrats and happy listing "Music Lover" :).

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #731 of 4,019
had a couple of lock ups yesterday night
frown.gif
boooya.lockups! but nothing that the rear reset button did not solve. both times using poweramp. both times when fast scrolling down the album list. once reset, did a menu factory reset just in case any files were damaged (not sure if that sort of thing happens?) and put my 20gb worth of tunes back on. have decided not to reinstall poweramp just yet, thought i'd give the 1060 a good run using the stock player (which i love by the way
smile.gif
) try and narrow it down to poweramp (which seems likely!) and so far so good. even with lots of web browsing, twitter, picture looking whilst playing various albums and scrolling back n forth and using the visualizer.

to summarise, after loading all the music on yesterday, only used the player music wise for 3hrs max the 2 'poweramp' lock ups happened within a couple of hours of each other. have used today without poweramp and without lockups for 4-5 hrs so far.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #732 of 4,019

Quote:
Thanks for the update, but WHY?????SONY WHY??????

Yeah, it is weird. They should have at least supported FLAC natively for lossless files. LPCM (WAV and AIFF audio containers) as the only lossless format supported natively is very weird to say the least. Why make huge files when you can get the same sound quality with a lossless compressed file format? Yet another reason for downloading Poweramp or a like application. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #734 of 4,019

Quote:
Oh and on the android side of things. There are a couple of things to bare in mind. First is if you are like me and like to download large files with the device over wifi like a music album it could be annoying because the wifi seems to auto turn itself off after a period of inactivity as a battery saving measure. 

Just a setting: Settings:Wireless and Networks: Wifi Settings, Menu, Advanced WiFi Sleep Policy.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #735 of 4,019

Quote:
It has S-Master™ MX amplification built in. So do I need an portable amp to drive AKG Q701?

drives my ES7's easily enough can't quote on yours though... it's a awesome amp forsure.

had a nose at the Colourfly/DX100/HiFiMan group test today.... nothing really said, suppose it's too early for real judgements..... which gets me wondering just how good is this WM-Z as some are already prefering it over the hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back