NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #631 of 4,019

Quote:

[size=10pt]My intension is to give the Dx100 some serious time (to Burn in, if this exists!) then leave it with the Sony Z to fight.[/size]

[size=10pt]To be honest I don’t want to have big expectations, as the Sony Z is really good and the Dx100 has to be much better to put a fight. [/size]

[size=10pt]To put it into perspective, since I got the Sony Z, I listen no more to others (and I have Cowon J3, Sansa clip+, Teclast T51, TeclastHDX19, Ipod nano (4th & 6th) and the Hifiman 601).[/size]

[size=10pt]So, I will do a review ( and promise it will be [/size][size=10pt]boringly [/size][size=10pt]long), but I need the time to be more accurate and technical. [/size]

Been looking forward to someone who has both to give a honest opinion..... and interestingly you've already discarded the oposition leaving it a clear two-way dust up..... imho the iBasso will have to be some machine to beat the Sony hands down especially when you take in the price difference (the Sony will only go down in price, amazon.uk have nearly sold out its second batch, I've been watching reviews).

That said, if the iBasso is a lot better than the Sony then it will be worth every penny.... if it's minimal, then price will probably dictate.

My stuffs all new so needs a lil time to bed in..... but I am truly impressed with the SQ, listening to Eric Bibbs 'live' Troubadour  album, I was stunned by the quality of the faithful reproduction of the sound.... the intricate interplay between Bibb & Astner is all there clearly to be heard, I shut my eyes and completely drifted away..... makes me wonder what it'll be like in a month when things have settled down, though I do think this WM-Z has earn't the right to a decent set of cans & I'm not convinced that these AT's suit me, the sound is great don't get me wrong but there's a but again (these 'buts' could be expensive) so I'll try and have a nose around a few hi-fi dealers to see what suits.... must be closed & not me make me look like a idiot walking down the street (any suggestions are welcomed).

Anyhow back to uploading tracks
confused_face.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #632 of 4,019

Quote:
For comparison of the Z-series and DX100, maybe you could use the same audio player (e.g., Poweramp) for both devices playing the same files. This will keep the influence of the software to minimum while comparing the performance of the hardware.

I like the idea of that but being naive here, how does that work?..... when I go into a dealer's to chose a cd-player I'm chosing not only for the SQ but I'm also buying into the brand-sound (& a lil on style I suppose, less is more in hi-fi but I don't have to say that).... so taken on that basis won't the poweramp alter how the defalt settings of the manufacturer were meant to be heard ie how the designer wanted you to hear it?..... theres a lot I don't understand, I'm trying to figure why you would want to add an app to either player as personally I'm happy with the SQ of the Sony in basic form and thats without using any of the enhancements.

I suppose what I'm really trying to say its like comparing high-end cd-players Naim v Chord Elec'..... both brilliant in their own way but there's a clear difference in delivery..... Naim has gone the digital route while Chord has aimed at rivaling the very best analogue turntables (the benchmark).... so in the end it will be your ears that will dictate and how you prefer to hear your music.... the iBasso intrigues me as by reports so far its analogue biased (mind you I think that about the sony, yeah I'm smitten at the mo).

Sorry if that don't make sense but I'm not a technophile, more an earophile.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #633 of 4,019

Quote:
Nice choice. Look the day you stepped into Head-fi, is the day your wallet got wings. I tried to get out, but I could not, I need help.

Don't mention it.  I've tried to get out since 2001!!  Seriously though, it is a great place to hang out but my wallet has suffered ever since.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #634 of 4,019

Quote:
The DX100 seems to have a lot of capacitors so I believe it will need some amount of burn in.

I have had so many people raving about the Walkman X-series until I got them. Seriously, I don't find them anywhere near good. A-series, not much better. The Z-series, I don't want to bother trying. I didn't enjoy J3 and T51 either. They all failed to meet my minimum expectation.

For comparison of the Z-series and DX100, maybe you could use the same audio player (e.g., Poweramp) for both devices playing the same files. This will keep the influence of the software to minimum while comparing the performance of the hardware.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #635 of 4,019
Quote:
I like the idea of that but being naive here, how does that work?.....

Turorocks knows what I mean. Even with the same set of hardwares, softwares alone can make a big difference to SQ.

The fact that both the DX100 and the Z-walkman runs android makes the comparison easier and we could even control for the audio playback software used. This helps us to isolate the effect of software in the comparison of hardware performance.

EDIT: I will agree that the stock audio playback software on each device is tweaked according to the hardware being used on that device. However, this audio playback software isolation will give us a perspective into how good/bad each of these devices are in terms of their hardware. If the audio playback software is what that makes the Z-walkman or DX100 sounds good, then its implication is that should we be able to extract that software and make it run on other Android devices, there is simply no need for us to spend huge amount of money on these devices the first place.

Regarding the 'house sound', I will want to believe that it is a result of the choice of hardware used rather than a choice of computer scripts =)

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #636 of 4,019
Do keep us posted on the Z walkman vs. the DX100 on sound quality.  

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #637 of 4,019
So I downloaded Poweramp and played back a FLAC file using the player, and I was blown away by the sound quality. I also have been using the Z in my car attached to my car stereo deck. Just in case you are wondering USB sounds much better than AUX, so if you have both on your deck use the USB port (plus it charges while playing). So in short, Poweramp rocks, every other app can be discarded (including the stock player). Also in regards to playing back FLAC I am sure Sony could add support via firmware, but I am not sure that they will given you can download apps that play FLAC. Also talked to Sony about the player losing album art and they are of no help. They don't seem to get it that it is their player that loses the art and it is not user error. I explained to them that every other player does not lose album art but they don't get it. Ah well, Poweramp shows the album art and kills all players in sound quality as well. This is why Android on a media player is a positive and not a negative. You can pretty much improve anything about your player that could be better. I wish I could have done that 10 years ago!

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #638 of 4,019

Quote:
So I downloaded Poweramp and played back a FLAC file using the player, and I was blown away by the sound quality. I also have been using the Z in my car attached to my car stereo deck. Just in case you are wondering USB sounds much better than AUX, so if you have both on your deck use the USB port (plus it charges while playing). So in short, Poweramp rocks, every other app can be discarded (including the stock player). Also in regards to playing back FLAC I am sure Sony could add support via firmware, but I am not sure that they will given you can download apps that play FLAC. Also talked to Sony about the player losing album art and they are of no help. They don't seem to get it that it is their player that loses the art and it is not user error. I explained to them that every other player does not lose album art but they don't get it. Ah well, Poweramp shows the album art and kills all players in sound quality as well. This is why Android on a media player is a positive and not a negative. You can pretty much improve anything about your player that could be better. I wish I could have done that 10 years ago!

One Word, spent 3 hours with Sony support, they are "USELESS". Do not bother.
Spending almost 3 hours, to tell me at the end, this feature is not supported (although it is!)......I know, it was my mistake I called them in the beginning.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #639 of 4,019
 @DigitalCurator...

Quote:
Just in case you are wondering USB sounds much better than AUX, so if you have both on your deck use the USB port (plus it charges while playing).  

So does the Z series Walkman support playback via USB?
I had the impression that 'standard' Android does not support playback via USB and that only a few custom versions support that (cyanogenmod?). ...Unless Sony provided its own custom Android version which supports USB audio.
It makes me wonder whether it might also support connecting a portable DAC/AMP?

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #640 of 4,019

Quote:

Does it beat the stock player in  pure SoundQuality oder with changing sound settings? Cause I dislike using a Equalizer.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #642 of 4,019

Quote:

Turorocks knows what I mean. Even with the same set of hardwares, softwares alone can make a big difference to SQ.

EDIT: I will agree that the stock audio playback software on each device is tweaked according to the hardware being used on that device. However, this audio playback software isolation will give us a perspective into how good/bad each of these devices are in terms of their hardware. If the audio playback software is what that makes the Z-walkman or DX100 sounds good, then its implication is that should we be able to extract that software and make it run on other Android devices, there is simply no need for us to spend huge amount of money on these devices the first place.

Regarding the 'house sound', I will want to believe that it is a result of the choice of hardware used rather than a choice of computer scripts =)

I do appreciate your thoughts & advice.... think I'm begining to get the gist of all this

taking the WM-Z to a hi-fi dealer on Wed that I'm buying my new set-up from... should be an interesting exercise will be trying out a few Chord-cable products (iChord etc).... I got a Sony LOD but it won't be here in time disappointingly.... will tell you how it goes (is a mini-USB - USB good to a DAC ?)

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #644 of 4,019
How's the Sony Z compared to HM 601? (Strictly sound, because with UI and features the Sony would definitely win..)

I am seriously considering a HM601 to hold me over until we have more info about HM-901 vs. Colorfly C3 vs. DX100, but if HM601 is not as good as Sony Z, I might just get the Sony Z.

Quote:

[size=10pt]To put it into perspective, since I got the Sony Z, I listen no more to others (and I have Cowon J3, Sansa clip+, Teclast T51, TeclastHDX19, Ipod nano (4th & 6th) and the Hifiman 601).[/size]

[size=10pt]So, I will do a review ( and promise it will be [/size][size=10pt]boringly [/size][size=10pt]long), but I need the time to be more accurate and technical. [/size]

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #645 of 4,019

Quote:
How's the Sony Z compared to HM 601? (Strictly sound, because with UI and features the Sony would definitely win..)

I am seriously considering a HM601 to hold me over until we have more info about HM-901 vs. Colorfly C3 vs. DX100, but if HM601 is not as good as Sony Z, I might just get the Sony Z.

601 is warmer, thicker less detailed, generally good, but the Sony is cleaner, open and more neutral and faithful to the recording. At least from my own perspective. And when amped......new dimension of sound.
Just try it before buying if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back