NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #76 of 4,019
Sound impressions ASAP please!

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #77 of 4,019

Quote:
Sound impressions ASAP please!

I'll do some quicky impressions! I don't have much to compare it to, just my 3 year old Sony Walkman (NWZ-S639F), but so far I am blown away! I bought the Poweramp app, and it sounds amazing! Definitely more control over the sound, very full low end, and nice crisp highs. Ive only listened to it for about an hour, but I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. Im still new when it comes to android, apps, and "smart" tech, so theres lots here for me to learn! Any advice with Poweramp or using android in general would be more than welcome! 

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #78 of 4,019
I am one of those EU customers in the UK waiting impatiently since news of this broke a few months ago for a release date for the EU version but do not want to import due to cost & warranty hassle but biggest issue is if EU version will be volume capped badly.

Or if Sony has learnt their lesson as they apparently had improved the new current A86X series over the last A84X so live in hope that Sony see sense again especially with it going to be their new flagship model which will be aimed directly at seriously taking on Apple with a more worthy machine for the first time in a while so they can ill afford to have bad reports of  the dreaded EU volume cap been overdone with bad customer user feedback killing sales across the EU if they want to achieve the hard but not impossible job of getting the "Walkman" brand back on track to been something like it used to be renowned for I like to think Sony will not drop the ball on this new Z series...

Hoping for SQ will be a continuation in improvement on the beloved X1060 I still treasure and hope for a direct comparison soon from someone who will have both...

Only concern with it been Android O/S on board with Sony battery stamina seemingly going backwards last two gen models how long it actually will last for with lossless music especially if  one - two years down the line it starts to have reduced battery life like the X1060 suffered from would be a very annoying bummer potentially. 

So if anyone has an inkling when EU release might be I'm all ears as I cannot find anything definitive on this subject, even though my gut feeling it will be announced during the CES show in January for maybe a Q2 release (March earliest) 

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #79 of 4,019
I gotta say that this new Sony player looks great in almost every aspect except for the paltry 512mb of ram, though this limitation wouldn't theoretically be an issue if one was to use this primarily as a pmp and less for high performance apps (and mostly games).  However, since sony chose to go with the dual core tegra 2 it should be plenty fast regardless and have working codec support for x264/mkv videos, if that matters to you.  I could see 299 for the 32gb as the absolute max they could get away with charging for this thing, but we may be surprised and see it come out somewhat lower.  Whether by that point this device and the tegra 2 is still revelant is anyone's guess, as tegra 3 is right around the corner with more cores and lower power consumption.

Dec 26, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #83 of 4,019
hi hoping either the OP or someone who has one can tell me, im looking at getting one myself from jp and was wondering can the FM bandwith be altered with the jp version? the jp specs are 76-90FM and the radio i listen to is around 95-105FM.

Thx

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #84 of 4,019
so how is the Z1000 ? Owners, do u think that price for this device is reasonable?

any links to sellers who ship worldwide ? :)

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #85 of 4,019
Also does anyone know if the Z1000 will  fit any of the current charge/sync Walkman docks (BCR-NWU5 or BCR-NWU7) or will there be a new model out to house it, would be nice if they could do one with a Bluetooth remote for when rigged up to a hi-fi on line out from the dock. 

Have seen there will be a plastic and leather case for the Z1000 already. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #86 of 4,019

Quote:
hi hoping either the OP or someone who has one can tell me, im looking at getting one myself from jp and was wondering can the FM bandwith be altered with the jp version? the jp specs are 76-90FM and the radio i listen to is around 95-105FM.

Thx

The radio works fine here in Canada. I can pick up all regular FM stations. It goes from 108.0 MHz down to 76 MHz. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #87 of 4,019
i found it on eBay...

Maybe anyone had an opportunity to compare this DAP SQ to S750 for example? Is it better?   I'm thinking buy this or not :)

How about build quality?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #88 of 4,019

Quote:
Also does anyone know if the Z1000 will  fit any of the current charge/sync Walkman docks (BCR-NWU5 or BCR-NWU7) or will there be a new model out to house it, would be nice if they could do one with a Bluetooth remote for when rigged up to a hi-fi on line out from the dock. 

Have seen there will be a plastic and leather case for the Z1000 already. 

I haven't tried the Z1070 in the NWU5/7, but it does not fit in the ICF-C8WM which has essentially the same  thing but part of a clock radio. The Z is too wide.

There are a ton of cases for the Z1000 in Japan, both SOny and third party. The "leather" flip one has a plastic holder inside you put it in and can pop out. The plastic but has a small thing you can extend as a stand.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #89 of 4,019

Quote:
i found it on eBay...

Maybe anyone had an opportunity to compare this DAP SQ to S750 for example? Is it better?   I'm thinking buy this or not :)

How about build quality?

The NW-Z1070's SQ is closer (meaning as good as better to me) to the X than the A series that followed it. I have both the Japanese NW-X1060 and NW-A847 (not the world NWZ versions, although I don't think the A847 was released elsewhere).

The build quality is really solid. No complaints.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #90 of 4,019

Quote:

I haven't tried the Z1070 in the NWU5/7, but it does not fit in the ICF-C8WM which has essentially the same  thing but part of a clock radio. The Z is too wide.

There are a ton of cases for the Z1000 in Japan, both SOny and third party. The "leather" flip one has a plastic holder inside you put it in and can pop out. The plastic but has a small thing you can extend as a stand.

Found the measurements on the Z1070 spec's and by my tape measure it is not going to fit the NWU-5/7 either (over 1cm to wide). Good way for Sony to make more $$ with new docks to fit ( hoping and assuming they will),
Will cut them some slack though as this is the first player of this size they would have done as to be fair to them all their previous players have been made to fit those docks. 

Is the leather case and plastic version you are talking of the Sony branded ones as usually the Sony cases are spot on in terms of fitting, style and quality of materials used. Never find third party cases quite as good going by previous attempts from third party co's of players of yesteryear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back