NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 7, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #556 of 4,019
Just some other observations about the player. The equalizer and sound enhancement settings do really help lower quality files that you may have downloaded from the net or ripped at a lower quality back in the day. I have a bunch of players now that all have different pluses and minuses. I have the Sony player of course, the Google Music Player, Spotify, the Android music player, Andless, and Winamp. Google Music and Winamp make it easier to find related material to an artist your listening to if you are in to that kind of thing via links to youtube, etc. Google Music also lets you search the name of your artist, song, etc. so that is nice to find your music quickly. I have pretty much stopped using the Sony player entirely because of the missing album art for some of my albums. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my music and it really bothers me not seeing the album covers. All the other players show the album covers so it is something Sony failed to program correctly. I am assuming it is a pixel size issue, but no documentation mentions any pixel size limits as far as I know. Meh. I also installed the Dolphin HD browser so I can surf the internet with a desktop browser. With Grooveshark in desktop mode I can stream anything for free. That is nice if I want to hear anything not on my device.    

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #557 of 4,019

Quote:
I have a bunch of players now that all have different pluses and minuses. I have the Sony player of course, the Google Music Player, Spotify, the Android music player, Andless, and Winamp. Google Music and Winamp make it easier to find related material to an artist your listening to if you are in to that kind of thing via links to youtube, etc. Google Music also lets you search the name of your artist, song, etc. so that is nice to find your music quickly.

I have pretty much stopped using the Sony player entirely because of the missing album art for some of my albums.

With all those applications you sure you got room on your WM-Z for music ?.... me thinks you need a good tablet.

If you're not using your Z-Series anymore I'm sure that there's quite a few on here that'll make you a good offer especially if it's a non Euro model.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #558 of 4,019
Thanks for your answers on language settings. One last question: the z1060 is available on sony uk online shop. The import price from price japan is roughly the same as the one I can get from sony's website if I include rhe shipiing cost. The only difference between the 2 is the volume cap. Is this cap really low, so low that you can't hear your music in the train with closed back headphones?

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #559 of 4,019

Quote:
The import price from price japan is roughly the same as the one I can get from sony's website if I include rhe shipiing cost.

have you factored in import tax when it arrives io the uk? i'm in the same boat and not sure what to do :) i didn't see the 1060 on pricejapan, only the 1070. did you email them for a quote or have you got a link?

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #560 of 4,019

Quote:
think you'll find that no Apple product will compete with the Sony sound quality wise... even before the WM-Z Sony's were far superior SQ wise.

In most reviews by reviewers that lean towards Apple (devout followers), the review centers around what the device can do and not about the SQ or as a music player which is a tad pathetic as as Sony states clearly this is a Walkman (not a tablet, consol, phone etc) and as such is a music player first and foremost..... if you require it for other functions I'd suggest sticking to Apple or the like.

Independent Audio Analysis: RMAA plus iPhone 4S has best audio quality in business  <>  Sony Z Series Walkman ?  is the kind of comparison I am looking for. This and my ears tell me that the iPhone 4S sounds impressive, but I actually own a Sony Walkman which is why I'm so keen to read some detailed comparisons.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #561 of 4,019
Just got the eu-version..
There is no Volume-Limit at all. It goes nearly as loud as my Meizu m6 sl. SQ-Wise it sure beats my m6.. by far after listen to it for a while.
Build Quality is amazing. It's all plasty though, but very well built.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #562 of 4,019

Quote:
Just got the eu-version..
There is no Volume-Limit at all.

oh great. that goes against all others here that have said there is a volume cap/limit...so who is right
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #564 of 4,019

Quote:
Well, i dont really know if its really the eu-version. But it got german language installed
The player goes really really loud.

How do i convert flac to atrac?

With SonicStage , but you have to covert flac to wave than you can convert them  to atrac lossless.
For lossy atrac, MediaGo can do it directly.

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #566 of 4,019
Hi guys, 

First time poster here (Be Gentle!) 

I got a new Z Series last week and I'm very impressed. Have a SONOS setup in the house and I'm using the Android app as a controller! 

The only thing I was struggling with was getting a decent case to carry it. Sony have one listed in www.sony.co.uk, but you can't buy it for seem reason. I called a couple of Sony Dealers and no-one was able to order it for me or even give me a price.

In desperation, I spoke to these guys on ebay as they were selling the Walkman itself: 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Graham-Robertson-Sony-Centre/

They managed to get me the leather case (CKL-NWZ1000) for £39.99 with free shipping! Came in about 3 days, which was great. 

Here's a direct link to the listing if it will help anyone: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-CKL-NWZ1000-Leather-Case-NWZ-Z1060-BRAND-NEW-/270929925830?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCasesSkins&hash=item3f14ae96c6#ht_766wt_1163

Enjoy! 

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #567 of 4,019

Quote:
Hi guys, 

First time poster here (Be Gentle!) 

They managed to get me the leather case (CKL-NWZ1000) for £39.99 with free shipping! Came in about 3 days, which was great. 

Here's a direct link to the listing if it will help anyone: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-CKL-NWZ1000-Leather-Case-NWZ-Z1060-BRAND-NEW-/270929925830?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCasesSkins&hash=item3f14ae96c6#ht_766wt_1163

Enjoy! 

you should of spoke to Bob (same Company), he'd of sold you a leather-case for £33.... its who you know yanno 
wink_face.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #568 of 4,019

Quote:

Independent Audio Analysis: RMAA plus iPhone 4S has best audio quality in business  <>  Sony Z Series Walkman ?  is the kind of comparison I am looking for. This and my ears tell me that the iPhone 4S sounds impressive, but I actually own a Sony Walkman which is why I'm so keen to read some detailed comparisons.

Spectrum analyzer v Ears.... I'll take my ears everytime, even my Sister who owns a i4S says that my 'old' Walkman was far superior sound wise to the Apple, which kinda were my thoughts (she aint no hi-fi buff)..... at the end of the day its what you prefer as an individual (feel free to debate this with your ears) rather than brand-hype by some gormlessly inept Apple biased reviewer(see some of the internet reviews where they've not even judged the WM-Z on its music quality, ironic indeed as Sony first & foremost state its a music device).

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #569 of 4,019

Quote:
Well, i dont really know if its really the eu-version. But it got german language installed
The player goes really really loud.

Have a look on the back of the device, if it has the CE symbol then its an EU version, built to conform to EU regulations:

"Existing in its present form since 1993, the CE marking is a key indicator of a product's compliance with EU legislation and enables the free movement of products within the European market. By affixing the CE marking on a product, a manufacturer is declaring, on one's sole responsibility, conformity with all of the legal requirements to achieve CE marking and therefore ensuring validity for that product to be sold throughout the European Economic Area. This also applies to products made in third countries which are sold in the EEA."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #570 of 4,019
To alphabeta gaga:
No the import taxes are not factored in my all in price...Iasked a quote on PriceJapan for the 1060 and 1070.
If the EU walkman doesn't have any volume cap then I will buy it on sony's website. In any case I'm not very sure that this cap is discriminant in my choice. With good headphones it shouldn't be a big issue I guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back