NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #3,348 of 4,019
Quote:
Okay guys.
I was tinkering with my Z when I tried something risky.
I disabled the 'sound enhancements' app, and when I went to that section from within the media player app, guess what, the gingerbread control panel was back.
I was ecstatic that I might have revived the old warm sound. Until of course I discovered that the settings were ineffective BUT I now found the sound to be fuller and a tad more amplified.
The bass had more rumble to it, while the treble was also a bit brighter.
Still, I like this sound better.

So guys, please give it a shot and share your thoughts on this more pure output. Don't worry, the sound enhancements can be enabled again and will work after a restart.

Plus it'd be very much appreciated if someone on gingerbread could read out their 'sound enhancements' and 'media players' apps from the firmware and upload them here.

The sound changes indeed when stopping the sound enhancement app, EQ and other stuff stops working, and probably the layer of software that was hiding the S Master MX warmness is gone.

Can't say "this is GB sound sig" because I had GB for like a couple of hours and I didn't really like the rumbling bass.

Gotta listen for a few hours some of the songs I have on and post an impression if I see improvement. Based on first impression, it sounds smoother, not as bass rumbling as I remember  GB.

Probably it will help the battery life, having one less piece of software preprocessing the audio.

May 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #3,351 of 4,019
The sound changes indeed when stopping the sound enhancement app, EQ and other stuff stops working, and probably the layer of software that was hiding the S Master MX warmness is gone.

Can't say "this is GB sound sig" because I had GB for like a couple of hours and I didn't really like the rumbling bass.

Gotta listen for a few hours some of the songs I have on and post an impression if I see improvement. Based on first impression, it sounds smoother, not as bass rumbling as I remember  GB.

Probably it will help the battery life, having one less piece of software preprocessing the audio.

I didn't even have it for an hour :p

May 9, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #3,354 of 4,019
Quote:
Build version 2.01, anyone else get prompted for this update?

-Enhancement of Media Player's operation stability
-Other functional improvements

Woah!!!
We need one person to update and give their impressions first and then decide on whether to go for it or not.
So who'll step up? Not me :p

May 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #3,357 of 4,019
Patience isn't one of my stronger attributes :p
Just updated and feel a little bit difference in the sound. Now, it might be due to me listening to the Z's raw output for more than a day (sound enhancements app disabled) or even a placebo effect.
So we need another head-fi'er to be bold enough and hit the 'update' button.

The Media Players app's version has also been changed. Now it's 1.4.3. Though, the app isn't updated on Google Play and so, no changelog is available.

May 9, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #3,358 of 4,019
i have updated but i dont find any difference in performance, and in sound quality i haven't tried because i am not bringing any cans with me right now, maybe tonight i will give the impression about the sound

i just downloaded using this link here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/2760#post_8929083

and changes this http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/Z1000/NW-Z1000_V2_00_0000.exe

to this http://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/Z1000/NW-Z1000_V2_01_0000.exe

V2_00 to V2_01

May 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #3,359 of 4,019
Seems Sony might be pulling up their pants, and listening to customers (I saw someone complain about lag issues with the player after updating to ICS).

Earlier they announced that they'd abandon the 1366x768 ratio completely, for laptops.

First that, and now this. After all this neglect... Might we be seeing a new Sony?

May 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,360 of 4,019
Quote:
Patience isn't one of my stronger attributes :p
Just updated and feel a little bit difference in the sound. Now, it might be due to me listening to the Z's raw output for more than a day (sound enhancements app disabled) or even a placebo effect.
So we need another head-fi'er to be bold enough and hit the 'update' button.

The Media Players app's version has also been changed. Now it's 1.4.3. Though, the app isn't updated on Google Play and so, no changelog is available.

I updated to latest GB and I didn't hear anything different.  Comparison was made using the included IEMs.

Still has glitchy UI, which is disappointing.  My B series Walkman is seamless, well the Z..  
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back