New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #3,886 of 4,196
In terms of DAP, I also believe the Sony is an excellent choice. But when I look at the power, I see quite big differences. My current X1 has an output level of 65 mW @ 32 ohms. According to the specs, the Sony has 1.1mW @ 32 ohms😳. With the Japanese variant this would be slightly higher. I read somewhere that this would be 35mW @ 16 ohms. But I cannot officially confirm this.
But this is still a lot less than the X1. It has 100mW @ 16 ohms. But I have no idea whether these specs can be compared one to one.
In any case, the output of my iPod classic 6th gen was insufficient for my dt770's. For my taste.
i use over the ear koss portapros with my sony (uk capped version btw) and its definitely loud enough. i usually have it at about 70-80 of 120 on volume, indoors.

when im outside i either use moondrop iem or sony Bluetooth over the ear headphones, with noise cancelling. i dont think the cap effects bluetooth fyi. same volume on both capped and uncapped.

ive never run into a problem where its not loud enough but i think you have to be smart about the headphones you choose to use with it.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #3,887 of 4,196
btw koss porta pros ive owned for 20 years. id like anyone to point me to better sounding headphones for the price. I don't think they exist.

theyre such amazing headphones imo. plus the design aesthetic definitely fits a sony walkman

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #3,888 of 4,196
the dust doesnt worry me round buttons. the space around the sides is good for gestures and navigation so that a positive. looking forward to getting mine to see how it is.

how are the buttons to use on the fat bear? its the reason i want to try it over my miter case. they look easy to differentiate in a pocket? and seem to have the little raised dots

what is your over cover (the smaller one?) looks good
Like my WM1Z FatBear case, they feel very responsive and are clearly defined and separated. The 2 volume buttons are slightly larger than the others.
I have a Mitre style leather case for my 1Z and button presses are a rough guess and very hit and miss.
My other case is a silicon, I also bought secondhand as it saved a few yen (there are a stack of used ones including the flip style case). I assumed it was an official Sony one but it might be another Japanese brand like Musashino or Eletech?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #3,889 of 4,196
And have people ever used an external portable amplifier on a DAP like this Sony? But without a DAC, because in principle it is not necessary, since the DAP has its own DAC. Of course it would be a shame not to use it. But does this allow you to control more difficult headphones? For example, I already came across the Helm db12, but I assume there are several alternatives.
Or am I thinking so out of the box that it would be better to move on to something else.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #3,890 of 4,196
btw koss porta pros ive owned for 20 years. id like anyone to point me to better sounding headphones for the price. I don't think they exist.

theyre such amazing headphones imo. plus the design aesthetic definitely fits a sony walkman
the mighty koss
IMG_20240107_150342~2.jpg

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #3,896 of 4,196
No choice, that cable is 4.4mm terminated.
hows your 3.5mm port with all that plugged in? mine, is wobbly as anything. it doesnt effect the sound but its quite alarming how much i can move my headphone jack back and forwards. ive mentioned it before but someone said the sony port floats so its normal, but im not convinced mine should move this much haha. i might post a video of it

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #3,897 of 4,196
hows your 3.5mm port with all that plugged in? mine, is wobbly as anything. it doesnt effect the sound but its quite alarming how much i can move my headphone jack back and forwards. ive mentioned it before but someone said the sony port floats so its normal, but im not convinced mine should move this much haha. i might post a video of it
actually heres a video of someone else with the same "problem". mine is exactly like this:

https://imgur.com/z7p0HLB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back