New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #3,871 of 4,177
ive been using the sony with a miter case which is ok not bad (much better than their ibasso dx170 version) but i still find it difficult to differentiate the buttons in my pocket using the miter.

so with that in mind ive ordered one of those fatbear cases from AliExpress. ill give my opinions and vs the miter case when it arrives mid January

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005382323929.html

cheers

Interesting you bring this up. This is very important to me as well being able to find these buttons without pulling it out of my pocket. I had the original Sony silicon case but did not care for its flimsy looseness but the buttons were perfect. I did just receive this cheap tinted transparent case from Amazon (I believe someone here mentioned this case) and I will say it’s a perfect fit! It almost appears like it’s part of the device itself being tinted and a perfect exact fit. The buttons are not bad. A bit hard to press and not so clicky but still can find them without looking. Also the sd card slot is blocked but not important to me since I never remove it. If anyone is interested here’s the link, again. Soft Transparent Protective Shell Skin Case Cover for Sony Walkman NW-A306 NW-A307 NW-A300 Series with Dust Plug (Clear Black) https://a.co/d/b22iUJQ
Sorry I don’t know how to delete this on website.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #3,872 of 4,177
ive been using the sony with a miter case which is ok not bad (much better than their ibasso dx170 version) but i still find it difficult to differentiate the buttons in my pocket using the miter.

so with that in mind ive ordered one of those fatbear cases from AliExpress. ill give my opinions and vs the miter case when it arrives mid January

cheers
Interesting you bring this up. This is very important to me as well being able to find these buttons without pulling it out of my pocket. I had the original Sony silicon case but did not care for its flimsy looseness but the buttons were perfect. I did just receive this cheap tinted transparent case from Amazon (I believe someone here mentioned this case) and I will say it’s a perfect fit! It almost appears like it’s part of the device itself being tinted and a perfect exact fit. The buttons are not bad. A bit hard to press and not so clicky but still can find them without looking. Also the sd card slot is blocked but not important to me since I never remove it. If anyone is interested here’s the link, again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ4CGYKH?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_WSXPWSZRHHP22BZNYJT4&language=en-US

http://Soft Transparent Protective ...ust Plug (Clear Black) https://a.co/d/6C6QKdc

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #3,873 of 4,177

cheers
Yes, please let me or us know as I've got the Miter case which I think is great. I agree at times it's a nuisance finding the right button whilst in a pocket but I tend to count up like it would be brail if you know what I mean. Cheers GJ

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #3,874 of 4,177
I am looking for a new DAP. I am still a proud owner of the Fiio X1 1Gen. However, I want something new. Now I come across different models. Among them there are Fiio M11s and the Ibasso DX170. These all have their pros and cons. But often reference is also made to the Sony NW-A306. The output power is often mentioned as a negative. However, I want to be able to control my Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohms. However, I read on Reddit that it has too less power to control these headphones. Apparently the Japanese variant has a higher output power. But is this enough to control these headphones? Or is this DAP more focused on IEMs and should I look for another DAP?

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #3,875 of 4,177
I am looking for a new DAP. I am still a proud owner of the Fiio X1 1Gen. However, I want something new. Now I come across different models. Among them there are Fiio M11s and the Ibasso DX170. These all have their pros and cons. But often reference is also made to the Sony NW-A306. The output power is often mentioned as a negative. However, I want to be able to control my Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohms. However, I read on Reddit that it has too less power to control these headphones. Apparently the Japanese variant has a higher output power. But is this enough to control these headphones? Or is this DAP more focused on IEMs and should I look for another DAP?
A306 best for IEMs in general. Even the Japanese market ones are pretty low in power for full size headphones. You can use them with the Beyerdynamics and you might be happy with them.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #3,876 of 4,177
Funny enough I've still got my Fiio X1 first gen 👌I'm more than chuffed with my NWA 306 unrestricted version 👍 good luck

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #3,878 of 4,177
i have both the ibasso and the sony. i would pick the sony

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #3,879 of 4,177
In terms of DAP, I also believe the Sony is an excellent choice. But when I look at the power, I see quite big differences. My current X1 has an output level of 65 mW @ 32 ohms. According to the specs, the Sony has 1.1mW @ 32 ohms😳. With the Japanese variant this would be slightly higher. I read somewhere that this would be 35mW @ 16 ohms. But I cannot officially confirm this.
But this is still a lot less than the X1. It has 100mW @ 16 ohms. But I have no idea whether these specs can be compared one to one.
In any case, the output of my iPod classic 6th gen was insufficient for my dt770's. For my taste.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #3,881 of 4,177
I only just got my A306 while on holiday here in Japan and forgot my SD card so haven't even used anything other than wireless with the 4 demo tracks and some free streamed content. I'm not speaking from experience, just putting forward my general opinion.
Is your priority the highest quality listening experience or having a slight compromise to own a solid dap that can tick other boxes like size etc?
Overheads (even some iems) can benefit from a higher powered output as it can physically move the driver more efficiently, but it is possible to have a satisfying audio experience from lower outputs like the A300 series. This is a secondary dap for me, on paper I'm feeling the power is very low, but when you actually hear it is surprisingly good. I demoed with my IER-Z1R which scale up nicely with more power.
There is the Hiby M300 that has a much higher output. I considered it but have a history and confidence in Sony.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #3,882 of 4,177
But you use your Sony with IEMs and not with over-ear headphones?
The power output from this player is so low that it is almost impossible to use it with full-size devices.
This is a player for IEMs or (better) for TWS headphones.
But it is very compact.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #3,883 of 4,177
The power output from this player is so low that it is almost impossible to use it with full-size devices.
This is a player for IEMs or (better) for TWS headphones.
But it is very compact.
Why 'better' for TWS? For TWS might as well just feed from a good android phone over LDAC.

There isn't an IEM my Japanese A307 hasn't done justice too, inc IER-Z1R & M9.

It's longest I think I've kept a DAP as size, battery life, functionality from streamed audio and sound quality spot on.

Only thing I'd even consider changing it for would be a ZX700 series if same or better battery life and in same size/weight as a ZX500 series.

Agree, I wouldn't pick if my usage was with headphones, unless really easy ones to drive.

If the Hiby R5G2 wasn't on ancient Android 8, with its great battery life (not using class A) it was a great little player for headphones too.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #3,884 of 4,177
I got a secondhand FatBear case from e earphone in Akihabara today, and a Musashino screen protector from Bic Camera. The screen protector doesn't totally cover the whole screen, leaving 0.5-1mm around the edges, maybe intentionally so some case designs don't catch it?
The FatBear is a couple of mm higher, longer and wider with the thicker design and bumpers. The silicon covers a bit more of the screen so you can't see the edges of the protector, whereas the FatBear shows the gap around it. The FatBear buttons are raised and are joined by a bridge down the middle of the case side, with small cut-outs either side, potentially exposing to dust etc.
I intend to mainly use the silicon as it is slightly smaller and will do the job day to day, also keeping dust out. As I'm in Japan and spoilt for choice for accessories I just grabbed the FatBear in case I needed to up the protection.

1000004467.jpg
1000004469.jpg
1000004470.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #3,885 of 4,177
I got a secondhand FatBear case from e earphone in Akihabara today, and a Musashino screen protector from Bic Camera. The screen protector doesn't totally cover the whole screen, leaving 0.5-1mm around the edges, maybe intentionally so some case designs don't catch it?
The FatBear is a couple of mm higher, longer and wider with the thicker design and bumpers. The silicon covers a bit more of the screen so you can't see the edges of the protector, whereas the FatBear shows the gap around it. The FatBear buttons are raised and are joined by a bridge down the middle of the case side, with small cut-outs either side, potentially exposing to dust etc.
I intend to mainly use the silicon as it is slightly smaller and will do the job day to day, also keeping dust out. As I'm in Japan and spoilt for choice for accessories I just grabbed the FatBear in case I needed to up the protection.

the dust doesnt worry me round buttons. the space around the sides is good for gestures and navigation so that a positive. looking forward to getting mine to see how it is.

how are the buttons to use on the fat bear? its the reason i want to try it over my miter case. they look easy to differentiate in a pocket? and seem to have the little raised dots

what is your over cover (the smaller one?) looks good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back