New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #3,708 of 4,202
If anyone is interested, I measured both the capped and uncapped versions. I found that the difference isn't as big as people are making it out to be (about 9% with the IER-M7 that I used). Linked below

https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/comments/17elvb3/nwa300_series_uncapped_vs_capped_version/
I agree that the US A306 is powerful enough. However, you measured almost 9db difference between max volume of the JP and US version. That's almost subjectively 2x louder for the JP version.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #3,710 of 4,202
I'm using only the balanced cable and there is a difference but not quite a big one, just a slightly better sound.
The balanced cable is literally just an adapter for 4.4 Pentaconn to the 3.5mm output of the A306. It’s not like other DAPs that have multifunctional headphone output jacks. You aren’t getting any sonic advantages to the balanced pentaconn adapter.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #3,711 of 4,202
The balanced cable is literally just an adapter for 4.4 Pentaconn to the 3.5mm output of the A306. It’s not like other DAPs that have multifunctional headphone output jacks. You aren’t getting any sonic advantages to the balanced pentaconn adapter.
I'm using a balanced cable with a 3.5mm 4 pole TRRS plug vs 3.5mm TRS, the regular one.
As I said, I'm just getting a slightly better sound.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #3,712 of 4,202
I've just tested an A306 (EU model - volume cap) and although the volume was enough for some easy to drive IEMs, the sound was somehow lean and almost lifeless, lacking a lot of dynamics compared to even older models without the volume limitation.

Is it possible that the overall sound to be impacted by the volume cap so much?

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #3,713 of 4,202
I've just tested an A306 (EU model - volume cap) and although the volume was enough for some easy to drive IEMs, the sound was somehow lean and almost lifeless, lacking a lot of dynamics compared to even older models without the volume limitation.

Is it possible that the overall sound to be impacted by the volume cap so much?

Is it possible that it was on original firmware? The reduced bass issue affected many devices prior to the update.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #3,715 of 4,202
No, not the original firmware but the problem was not only with the bass.
With earlier capped Sony's such as ZX2, ZX300 there was a drop in overall audio fidelity to me, but had both capped and uncapped player with latest ones and only really notice limited volume, not change in SQ.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3,716 of 4,202
As many of you, I have a few pairs of IEMs that I regularly switch with my 306. Each of them needs a different EQ and I never remeber which one I used from the custom EQ ("Custom EQ 1" and "Custom EQ 2"). Would it be possible to manually rename the custom EQs from the DAP? I had a look at the files when plugging the DAP to a computer but could not locate the file. Many thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3,717 of 4,202
With earlier capped Sony's such as ZX2, ZX300 there was a drop in overall audio fidelity to me, but had both capped and uncapped player with latest ones and only really notice limited volume, not change in SQ.
Same here, had the capped EU version of the 306, now an uncapped from Japan (and had both for a while to compare them directly). No difference in SQ. Also no changes when updating firmware (both devices). No bass issues either. Wired and LDAC. Only capped or uncapped volume (wired). Btw, the uncapped remembers the last volume setting, while the (or only my) capped one always started at 50 after booting.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #3,718 of 4,202
I was wondering if anyone might know what's happening with the screen on my Japanese A306. I turned it on today and faint grey lines appear in the bottom half of the screen. If I turn the screen off and then turn it back on the grey part fades in slowly and then persists. Restarting/power off and on doesn't fix it. Came out of now where.

Attachments

• PXL_20231108_012756833.jpg
    PXL_20231108_012756833.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #3,719 of 4,202
I was wondering if anyone might know what's happening with the screen on my Japanese A306. I turned it on today and faint grey lines appear in the bottom half of the screen. If I turn the screen off and then turn it back on the grey part fades in slowly and then persists. Restarting/power off and on doesn't fix it. Came out of now where.
that looks like the flex cable is not connected correctly. assuming you haven't opened it/dropped it a lot, I would contact the seller. In my experience repairing and assembling its a quick fix but better to use the warranty

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3,720 of 4,202
that looks like the flex cable is not connected correctly. assuming you haven't opened it/dropped it a lot, I would contact the seller. In my experience repairing and assembling its a quick fix but better to use the warranty

I purchased it through eBay from a seller in Japan and I live in Canada. I'm assuming there's no warranty in this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back