New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #3,451 of 4,127
I have a question for those of you who have experience with both A105 and A306. When I owned A105, which I absolutely loved, the sound was kind of soft and lacked the oomph of A55. Did Sony fixed it in A300 series or is is about the same?

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,452 of 4,127
I have a question for those of you who have experience with both A105 and A306. When I owned A105, which I absolutely loved, the sound was kind of soft and lacked the oomph of A55. Did Sony fixed it in A300 series or is is about the same?
Hi, I moved from the 105 (daughter's got it now) to the 306 but only did so because of the battery issue and wanted the upgrade. I managed to get a non capped version via an excellent guy through this site who was abroad. Not being an expert but I'd say the 306 has plenty of oomph for me, with both bluetooth and wired earphones. There's more plus's than minuses. Really chuffed with it. Especially when I use either my fiio fa7's or my Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's. Still thinking about getting the new Sony wf1000xm5's. If you haven't got one yet then do so. If you're in the UK I did see an upcapped version as new on eBay yesterday.
Cheers Graham

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #3,453 of 4,127
Hi, I moved from the 105 (daughter's got it now) to the 306 but only did so because of the battery issue and wanted the upgrade. I managed to get a non capped version via an excellent guy through this site who was abroad. Not being an expert but I'd say the 306 has plenty of oomph for me, with both bluetooth and wired earphones. There's more plus's than minuses. Really chuffed with it. Especially when I use either my fiio fa7's or my Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's. Still thinking about getting the new Sony wf1000xm5's. If you haven't got one yet then do so. If you're in the UK I did see an upcapped version as new on eBay yesterday.
Cheers Graham
I have some XM5's coming next week and did have XM4. Will give a short comment when arrived/listened.

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,455 of 4,127
Is there a way to make the shape buttons on the bottom disappear?
I’d like to do this to increase rooms for the apps.

Particularly the Apple Music one where things seem a little jumbled towards the bottom.
I enabled gestures navigation to accomplish this for the same reason. Instead of buttons you’re doing swipes to go home, back, etc. and no buttons show along the bottom.
FYI, some apps will not take advantage of the extra space. However I still prefer it this way just for the cleaner not so congested look. I also made my text size and display size as small as possible in settings so more can fit on the screen.

But if I remember correctly (I’ve had mine since launch so it’s been a while) the a306 does not come with the gesture option from factory and I had to enable it with a desktop tool called ADB and program it to the device. Fairly easy to do and works great afterwards. You can also use the same tool to debloat some of the factory apps if you desire. Good luck.

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #3,456 of 4,127
Hi,
Yes please as I'd love to know if they live up to all the hype 😀 I might yet trade in my Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's 🤔😁
Looks like tomorrow or Wednesday via DPD.

I've had a couple of the Samsung Buds before too and I have my Fiio BTR5 & BTR7 I can use with my wired IEM's anyway.

These intend to be my only Buds while out cycling. Will still probably use my BTR7/IEM while out walking and indoors.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #3,457 of 4,127
Can anyone test the Bluetooth volume on the A307 vs A306. Or A306 vs another Bluetooth device. I just to make sure I’m not imagining it lower on the A306.
I’m using the NYX+ on LDAC and the utws5 without LDAC so aptX HD on the A306.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #3,459 of 4,127
Cheers Graham
I just got the WF1000 XM5. Certainly it’s the best iteration of Sony TWS buds. Less bass dominant and more neutral. No issues with the volume capped A306.

I like the new, smaller form factor. They are much more pocketable than the XM4. Are they worth the hype? Verdict out still. I need to fly with them before making that decision.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3,460 of 4,127
Which apps would be safe to debloat? Are there many that arent’t useful to have in the app?
I apologize but it has been a good year since I did this to mine so I can’t exactly recall what the apps are or how they read. The tool I used also helped make it easier with telling me the safe apps to remove. I also got a new laptop since then and do not have the tool any longer and can’t recall the exact name. I downloaded it. It was an ADB tool for android.

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #3,461 of 4,127
I just got the WF1000 XM5. Certainly it’s the best iteration of Sony TWS buds. Less bass dominant and more neutral. No issues with the volume capped A306.

I like the new, smaller form factor. They are much more pocketable than the XM4. Are they worth the hype? Verdict out still. I need to fly with them before making that decision.
Mine come tomorrow 👍

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #3,462 of 4,127
Yes please as I'd love to know if they live up to all the hype 😀 I might yet trade in my Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's
Sony WF-1000XM4 is a very average-sounding headphone. There's one purely dynamic driver inside and they sound significantly worse than modern hybrid models.
The main advantage of these headphones is good noise reduction quality. It's noticeably better there than in other headphones. But much worse than noise reduction of Bose models.

Sony WF-1000XM5 is exactly the same fourth model, to which minor improvements have been added. And it still sounds much worse than hybrid TWS-leaders: Fiio FW5, Noble Audio FoKus Mystique, HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #3,463 of 4,127
Sony WF-1000XM4 is a very average-sounding headphone. There's one purely dynamic driver inside and they sound way behind modern hybrid models.
The main advantage of these headphones is good noise reduction quality. It's noticeably better there than in other headphones. But much worse than noise reduction of Bose models.

Sony WF-1000XM5 is exactly the same fourth model, to which minor improvements have been added. And it still sounds much worse than hybrid TWS-leaders: Fiio FW5, Noble Audio FoKus Mystique, HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2...
That's a bit simplistic.

Multi driver or hybrid iems aren't necessarily better. You're trading more drivers with more integration and design issues. Single driver iems allow for better coherency.

It's not the number of drivers that determine quality sound, it's the implementation. I would stay away from all BT implemented iems for critical or serious listening. Sony did much better with the XM5. I still prefer the Z1R.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3,464 of 4,127
That's a bit simplistic.

Multi driver or hybrid iems aren't necessarily better. You're trading more drivers with more integration and design issues. Single driver iems allow for better coherency.

It's not the number of drivers that determine quality sound, it's the implementation. I would stay away from all BT implemented iems for critical or serious listening. Sony did much better with the XM5. I still prefer the Z1R.
Yep, guy needs to try the Single Beryllium driver Fiio FD7 before downing single DD IEM again. I listen to mine a lot even with multi-BA & Hybrid IEM's. Plus more drivers, larger size which can become a negative.

I don't need my cumbersome Z1R/BTR7 sound quality when cycling on bike or a quick walk with dog, and certainly not if doing sweaty sports.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3,465 of 4,127
Well arrived and straight on with my Spinfit silicons I used on XM4's.

I actually like the light colour mix

20230801_144933.jpg

20230801_144940.jpg

Will post immediate out of box thoughts bellow soon as connected to my Sony A307

OK paired LDAC to S21 & A307 and controls especially, volume control needs some work, compared to XM4.

Initial sound impressions are good, not the immediate bassy impact the XM4 delivered, but I prefer that.

Fit in my ears excellent and secure, much better size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back