New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jul 24, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,436 of 4,199
Is it true that if I plan to use the A306 only with BT (LDAC) iems, it doesn't make any difference if the version of the player is the capped one or uncapped? they'll sound exactly the same?

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #3,438 of 4,199
Is it true that if I plan to use the A306 only with BT (LDAC) iems, it doesn't make any difference if the version of the player is the capped one or uncapped? they'll sound exactly the same?
The BT functionality is not affected by the cap. You may get a warning if you listen at higher levels for more than 90 minutes where it will pause the music. That happened to me the first time last night with the wired mode. Having no warranty support for grey market imports isn't exactly ideal either.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #3,439 of 4,199
As comparrison with my Japanese uncapped A307 I listen at 75-85 with my IER-Z1R.
Yeah, I'm annoyed Sony decided to nanny the US model. It otherwise is a fantastic player.

To be fair, even at 10x the power output of the capped version, I can't see it driving Diana V2, Aeon Noires, or Stealths well.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #3,440 of 4,199
Hi JerryHead,

I haven't tried Sennheiser HD800S on A306 nor ZX707, but the HD800S is 300ohms, which is fairly high in impedance.

If you're looking to use high impedance headphones on a portable dap such as the A306 (with a maximum power output of 45mW on the Japanese uncapped model), I think it will sound alright for casual listening on the go, but you may find it lacking in headroom, body, layering and stage.

I have tried several closed back headphones (from 32 ohms to 60 ohms impedance) with the ZX-707 (Japanese uncapped model, at 230mW maximum power output in high gain balanced in 4.4), and I found all of them to sound somewhat 'closed in,' noticeably toned down in resolution and clarity, and lacking some spatial body and detailed imaging.

When my repaired A306 arrives sometime this week (or the week after), I'll try out the HD800S with A306 and also with ZX-707 (with XLR to 4.4 interconnect to 4.4 to 3.5 interconnect), and I'll follow up with some thoughts and impressions on this pairing in my next
So, the Shure SRH1840 aren’t going to reach their full potential with the 707 either? Even on high gain and through 4.4 balanced? Their impedance is 65 ohms. I had thought they would.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #3,441 of 4,199
So, the Shure SRH1840 aren’t going to reach their full potential with the 707 either? Even on high gain and through 4.4 balanced? Their impedance is 65 ohms. I had thought they would.
Hi JerryHead,

From my limited experience in headphones, I have never tried Shure headphones (nor any of their iems).

It’s hard to say whether a set of closed back headphones (such as a Sony MDR-1AM2, which I’m still looking to buy sometime by next month) with impedance of 16 ohms, or open back headphones (such as Audeze LCD-2) with impedance of 70 ohms can be ‘decently’ driven by a ZX707 (uncapped) in 4.4 balanced (set to high gain) to your liking & preferences. We all hear things a little differently and look for different aspects in nuances of sound, presentation, tonality and performance.

Generally for dap and headphones, even for a dap with higher power output such as an iBasso DX300 (with amp12, going by memory from the time I had DX300), I felt the DX300 pairing with HD800S (with XLR to 4.4 interconnect) got about midway through of what the HD800S was more capable of with a desktop amp & dac set.

With DX300 (and amp12, 4.4 balanced, high gain), resolution felt a bit compressed with noticeably scaled down stage size. Transients came off a bit softened which gave more of a smoothened edge as opposed to the slightly sharp but mildly lean kind of sound with a fairly clear & expansive-spacious presentation that the HD800S is generally known for.

As for pairing HD800S with A306, I’ll let you know how they sound (sometime by Wednesday afternoon), as I’ll be picking up my repaired A306 (uncapped) from FedEx on Tuesday evening (7/25) after work.
IMG_2388.jpeg

:)

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #3,442 of 4,199
The ZX707 does without issues. On 4.4mm balanced you can go slightly above 113db

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,443 of 4,199
The ZX707 does without issues. On 4.4mm balanced you can go slightly above 113db
Thanks, my aim is to hear the full potential of the headphones, all of the detail, punchiness, soundstage it’s capable of, without turning up the volume to the point it spikes my tinnitus! I’m wondering now if I should’ve gone for the WM-1AM2 for this reason, as the extra power could help with these headphones(?) I really want to stick to an open backed pair of headphones that are very light and comfortable and won’t disappoint in terms of SQ. I’m coming from years of listening to the WM-1AM and TAZH1es with the IER-Z1Rs, just can’t do iems anymore due to my hearing issues.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #3,444 of 4,199
Hi JerryHead,

From my limited experience in headphones, I have never tried Shure headphones (nor any of their iems).

It’s hard to say whether a set of closed back headphones (such as a Sony MDR-1AM2, which I’m still looking to buy sometime by next month) with impedance of 16 ohms, or open back headphones (such as Audeze LCD-2) with impedance of 70 ohms can be ‘decently’ driven by a ZX707 (uncapped) in 4.4 balanced (set to high gain) to your liking & preferences. We all hear things a little differently and look for different aspects in nuances of sound, presentation, tonality and performance.

Generally for dap and headphones, even for a dap with higher power output such as an iBasso DX300 (with amp12, going by memory from the time I had DX300), I felt the DX300 pairing with HD800S (with XLR to 4.4 interconnect) got about midway through of what the HD800S was more capable of with a desktop amp & dac set.

With DX300 (and amp12, 4.4 balanced, high gain), resolution felt a bit compressed with noticeably scaled down stage size. Transients came off a bit softened which gave more of a smoothened edge as opposed to the slightly sharp but mildly lean kind of sound with a fairly clear & expansive-spacious presentation that the HD800S is generally known for.

As for pairing HD800S with A306, I’ll let you know how they sound (sometime by Wednesday afternoon), as I’ll be picking up my repaired A306 (uncapped) from FedEx on Tuesday evening (7/25) after work.
IMG_2388.jpeg

:)
It will be a curious exercise to connect the HD800S to the A306. I have the iBasso DX320 with amp12. It puts out 1200mw vs the A306 uncapped 160mw. The capped only puts out 0.4-1.1mw. Both at 32ohms. I'll be curious to your thoughts.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #3,445 of 4,199
Thanks, my aim is to hear the full potential of the headphones, all of the detail, punchiness, soundstage it’s capable of, without turning up the volume to the point it spikes my tinnitus! I’m wondering now if I should’ve gone for the WM-1AM2 for this reason, as the extra power could help with these headphones(?) I really want to stick to an open backed pair of headphones that are very light and comfortable and won’t disappoint in terms of SQ. I’m coming from years of listening to the WM-1AM and TAZH1es with the IER-Z1Rs, just can’t do iems anymore due to my hearing issues.
If you are looking for an open back headphone to better pair the with NW A306, have you considered the Meze 109Pro (112db/mw 40 ohms)? Even the high power DAPs like the iBasso DX320 will have a challenge driving the 300ohm Sennheisers to satisfying potential. If you are looking for light, the Grado GS1000x may work okay with the NW A306 as well (99.8db/mw 38 ohms). I've personally used the Solitaire T in wired passive mode with the A306 with good results. Same with the Meze Liric. Both are pretty easy to drive headphones.

I personally haven't found an open back headphone that has all the characteristics of the IER Z1R. The closest in my collection is the Diana V2. It has the deep bass and sub bass (with adequate amplification). They have a pretty wide soundstage as well.

I too also have tinnitus issues exacerbated by certain IEM/headphone and source combinations. The NW A306 certainly ticks all the right boxes for not aggravating my tinnitus at higher levels, but it is excruciatingly limited with the array of headphones that it will drive. If tinnitus is your issue with not using the Z1R, try the Z1R first with the A306, you may be surprised.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #3,446 of 4,199
If you are looking for an open back headphone to better pair the with NW A306, have you considered the Meze 109Pro (112db/mw 40 ohms)? Even the high power DAPs like the iBasso DX320 will have a challenge driving the 300ohm Sennheisers to satisfying potential. If you are looking for light, the Grado GS1000x may work okay with the NW A306 as well (99.8db/mw 38 ohms). I've personally used the Solitaire T in wired passive mode with the A306 with good results. Same with the Meze Liric. Both are pretty easy to drive headphones.

I personally haven't found an open back headphone that has all the characteristics of the IER Z1R. The closest in my collection is the Diana V2. It has the deep bass and sub bass (with adequate amplification). They have a pretty wide soundstage as well.

I too also have tinnitus issues exacerbated by certain IEM/headphone and source combinations. The NW A306 certainly ticks all the right boxes for not aggravating my tinnitus at higher levels, but it is excruciatingly limited with the array of headphones that it will drive. If tinnitus is your issue with not using the Z1R, try the Z1R first with the A306, you may be surprised.
Hey, thanks! I already ordered the 707, but maybe will get the A306 down the line as well. Out of curiosity, did you try the IER-Z1r with the capped or uncapped version of the A306?

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #3,447 of 4,199
Hey, thanks! I already ordered the 707, but maybe will get the A306 down the line as well. Out of curiosity, did you try the IER-Z1r with the capped or uncapped version of the A306?
Capped.

I like warranty support. No issues with the Z1R. I'm trying out my headphone stash with the A306. So far the Meze Liric is the winner for headphones. It does the most with the available 1mw. :k701smile:

I tried the Grado GS1000x. No sub bass. Great imaging and resolution though. The Focal Stellia and Clear MG were nice.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #3,448 of 4,199
Tidal took over 2 minutes to play a downloaded file! This is ridiculous while Amazon Unlimited is instantaneous. Does anyone have a fix on this?

On top of an almost 2 min cold start this is the most annoying feature.

Also my headphone button control switch seems to achieve nothing and the buttons & screen work sadly well when in my pocket.

One more annoying thing is that the headphone goes into landscape mode fairly often and it’s slow and arduous to bring it back to portrait- am I missing something.

Otherwise I love this small player and use it at the gym daily with my svanar wireless.

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,449 of 4,199
Tidal took over 2 minutes to play a downloaded file! This is ridiculous while Amazon Unlimited is instantaneous. Does anyone have a fix on this?

On top of an almost 2 min cold start this is the most annoying feature.

Also my headphone button control switch seems to achieve nothing and the buttons & screen work sadly well when in my pocket.

One more annoying thing is that the headphone goes into landscape mode fairly often and it’s slow and arduous to bring it back to portrait- am I missing something.

Otherwise I love this small player and use it at the gym daily with my svanar wireless.
No inline controls on wired ear/headphones work on Sony DAP's or indeed many others.

Use the lock key on side to disable buttons when in pocket etc.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #3,450 of 4,199
Is there a way to make the shape buttons on the bottom disappear?
I’d like to do this to increase rooms for the apps.

Particularly the Apple Music one where things seem a little jumbled towards the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back