New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #3,091 of 4,129
1. You can choose internal or card with Spotify.
That is fantastic news. Thank you!

I'm looking to replace my FiiO X3 and would like a player that allows me to add some Spotify playlists as well.

Also hoping to find a decent software player that scrobbles and properly reads CUE sheets. (The X3 didn't scrobble and was something that always annoyed me.) 😇

May 2, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #3,092 of 4,129
I was trying to get the B&O all for my a306 but it won't let me download it from the play store

May 3, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #3,094 of 4,129
In any case loving the NW306 with my Sony IE-Z1R.

My uncapped version the volume is at 66 for some modern progressive house music.

May 5, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #3,096 of 4,129
Anyone using the Sony WF-1000XM4 paired to the NW-A306?
Yea,, these are my main outdoor gears. Can only pair them using LDAC - connection preferred mode. Too much intereferences in LDAC quality mode.

I did not even use the Sony headphone app in A306, though i have the XM4 settings set properly in my iphone Sony headphone app and they will remember its setting.

If you are thinking of getting wf-xm4 for your A306, try to wait little longer, think wf-xm5 is coming soon.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #3,097 of 4,129
Yea,, these are my main outdoor gears. Can only pair them using LDAC - connection preferred mode. Too much intereferences in LDAC quality mode.

I did not even use the Sony headphone app in A306, though i have the XM4 settings set properly in my iphone Sony headphone app and they will remember its setting.

If you are thinking of getting wf-xm4 for your A306, try to wait little longer, think wf-xm5 is coming soon.

I bought a Japanese unit. Mainly using it for Audible. Tired of carrying my large phone. Hopefully I’ll have good luck with it.

May 5, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #3,099 of 4,129
I'm a casual listener content with bluetooth on my ipod touch, but I was wondering if the 306 would be provide bt listening of comparable quality?

I've read opinions that AAC on ios devices is actually better than both AAC and aptx on android devices, but I'm unsure if the 306 is a special case, being a dedicated music player.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #3,100 of 4,129
Aptx is nice on the Walkman but LDAC is the way to go, much better. Don't know about aac as I never use it

That said, if you're not going to use ldac I'd stick with your itouch as it probably has a better range than the a306. Just a guess because it's been ages since I used an itouch.

Sound on BT is taken care of in the receiver, so it's not really dependent on source for sound quality, although some BT transmitters/antenna do better than others with signal which can result in a better sound. Especially if you're not going to use the wired out or android features it seems a waste to me.

You could get a shanling m0 pro or something like a qudelix 5k for less money just to do BT.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #3,101 of 4,129
I'm a casual listener content with bluetooth on my ipod touch, but I was wondering if the 306 would be provide bt listening of comparable quality?

I've read opinions that AAC on ios devices is actually better than both AAC and aptx on android devices, but I'm unsure if the 306 is a special case, being a dedicated music player.

At least this article suggests that AAC on Android is sub-par. I personally use both LDAC and aptX HD on Android devices. I do believe that AAC on Apple devices is quite good, just not on Android (based on my AirPods 2 Pro).

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

May 5, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #3,102 of 4,129

My take is that it depends on your interests, more than on which sounds better. For casual listening, either would do, so it depends on whether you have a curiosity/interest in the Sony DAP.
APPLE: For casual listening, you could upgrade/consolidate to an Iphone with more memory, and just carry one device. (assuming you would have always have a phone with you). A dedicated Audio DAP tends to be less distractive than a connected at all times Iphone, though.

SONY A306: modern, sleek, small device. Flexible, newest BT and Codecs. Good battery life (on Direct). Sony DAPs are well built, and enjoyable. Comparable quality sound, it certainly would be comparable, and I expect better, and more flexible
- But if all you want is casual listening, then might as well stay with Apple.
- But if curious about trying a different world, outside of the Apple closed system, then the A306 is a neat device to try.

Your question is something that only you can answer, as it depends on what you are looking for, and what your priorities are.

May 5, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #3,103 of 4,129
Long time apple user here. Ldac and aptx hd destroy aac. Honestly aac is pretty disappointing in my experience. Part of why I moved towards an android device for music.

Also the user interface/experience is better and more customizable than Apple Music/iTunes (although I use poweramp rather than the native player). And I love the eq options in android even though I didn’t think I would use them. It’s awesome to really dial in everything from my home hifi to my various iems with a parametric EQ. Or to be able to throw on a bit more sub bass that actually sounds good for some of those older albums that may be missing some low end information. Apples eq options are straight trash.

I love my old Bluetooth (aptx hd) modded iPod classic for its insane battery life and use it for casual listening. But for serious Bluetooth sessions or wired listening it’s my Sony all the way.
However like other people have mentioned you gotta make sure your receiver can do aptx hd or even better, Ldac.

Also range on the Sony is going to be better. My Sony’s range is better than my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Those old iPod touches are probably like Bluetooth 4.0 and have a limited range in comparisons to anything 5.0 and up.

May 5, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #3,104 of 4,129
Yes BT really depends a lot on the codec and signal. The items/receivers themselves - wireless buds, speakers have amps and dacs that take care of the encoding and amplification on their end. As far as range my Samsung is better than my a306 which can momentarily break up, but it's still better than most dacs.

That's why I said if your not going to use ldac or the 3.5 jack 350 beans is a lot of money just for a BT transmitter. The one main advantage for me is size, plus versatility in using other apps and music players. I never did like iTunes myself, too restrictive. Of course millions love the ease of use, but I like to tinker so it's not for me. Kind of like Windows and Linux.

You could always buy the a306 from an easily returnable place and 'demo' it. 😉

May 5, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #3,105 of 4,129
Long time apple user here. Ldac and aptx hd destroy aac.

Just now discovered that my earbuds, the Bose QC ii, are due an aptx HD update `this spring`, according to Bose. All the reviews of these buds I read stressed they were SBC/AAC only so this is a nice surprise. So if aptx hd really is that much better than aac I guess the 306 is looking a good option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back