New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #3,061 of 4,162
I will have the nw-A306 in few days- does anybody know / tested if it supports SPDIF (coaxial & digital) audio output from USB-C ? Like the Hiby R6 III does with CR-06 dock. Couldn’t find anything on Sony 306 specs about it.
There is a USB DAC function. This is using the DAP USB C as an input. There is no mention in the manual of using the USB C as an Output, so I do not think this is possible.

**********************************************************************************************

USB-DAC screen in “Music player” You can use the player as a USB-DAC device. Use this function to listen to music content on a computer. To switch to the USB-DAC function On the library screen in the “Music player”, tap [USB DAC]. Option menu Tap (Options) to display the option menu. Settings Select the item to display the Settings menu for “Music player”. Hint Swipe the USB-DAC screen upwards if you want to adjust the sound. Library top button Tap to turn off the USB-DAC function. 1. Input signal lamp The lamp indicates the presence and quality of the input signal. Lights up in green: PCM signal Lights up in blue: DSD signal Off: No signal is detected. 2. 3. Sound quality of the input signal (codec, sampling frequency, quantization bit rate) Back button Tap to turn off the USB-DAC function. 4. 5. Options button

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,062 of 4,162
I was wondering if anyone has tried to play any WMA VBR files and had trouble doing so? I know that the format is not popular, but I had a bunch of CDs in that format from many years ago. They played fine on my NW-A55 DAP, but have problems doing so on my new NW-A306. I used the microSD card from my NW-A55 and it read all other file formats (MP3, FLAC) fine. When it tried to play a folder with WMA VBR files, it skips though most of them and then finally plays one. Again, these same files work fine on my NW-A55 and I even tried the same microSD card on my DX170 DAP and they worked fine on that also. I haven't contacted Sony yet about the problem, just wondering if anyone else ran into it. Thanks...

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #3,063 of 4,162
I was wondering if anyone has tried to play any WMA VBR files and had trouble doing so? I know that the format is not popular, but I had a bunch of CDs in that format from many years ago. They played fine on my NW-A55 DAP, but have problems doing so on my new NW-A306. I used the microSD card from my NW-A55 and it read all other file formats (MP3, FLAC) fine. When it tried to play a folder with WMA VBR files, it skips though most of them and then finally plays one. Again, these same files work fine on my NW-A55 and I even tried the same microSD card on my DX170 DAP and they worked fine on that also. I haven't contacted Sony yet about the problem, just wondering if anyone else ran into it. Thanks...
VBR is supported. Maybe the A306 is more sensitive to errors in specific files? Or they are not one of the compatible bit rates, 32/48/44.1 kHz files?

NW-A306
Supported formats
Music
MP3 (.mp3)
32 kbps - 320 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)) / 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
WMA (.wma)
32 kbps - 320 kbps (Supports variable bit rate (VBR)) / 44.1 kHz (STEREO)
32 kbps - 48 kbps / 44.1 kHz (MONO)
FLAC (.flac)
16 bit, 24 bit / 8 kHz - 384 kHz
WAV (.wav)
16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit (Float/Integer) / 8 kHz - 384 kHz
AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp)
16 kbps - 320 kbps / 8 kHz - 48 kHz
HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp)
32 kbps - 144 kbps / 8 kHz - 48 kHz
Apple Lossless (.mp4, .m4a)
16 bit, 24 bit / 8 kHz - 384 kHz
AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc)
16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit / 8 kHz - 384 kHz
DSD (.dsf, .dff) (*1)
1 bit / 2.8224 MHz, 5.6448 MHz, 11.2896 MHz
APE (.ape)
8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit / 8 kHz - 192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)
MQA (.mqa.flac)
Supported
Note
Sampling frequency may not correspond to all encoders.
Copyright protected files cannot be played back.
Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the Sampling frequency.
Files that are 4 GB (APE is 2 GB) or larger cannot be played back.
This product recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz/16 bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz/16 bitquantization) as High-Resolution Audio. The “HR” symbol is displayed for High-Resolution Audio.
For sampling frequency over 352.8 kHz, it will be down convert playback.

Attachments​

• NW-A306 Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,064 of 4,162
If it follows the same level of capping as the A105, ZX507, WM1ZM2 then its about a 20+ volume step increase needed on capped one with all three of my IEM's.

Have you heard a capped one before with you being in Japan ?
Sorry to reply to such an old post... I didn't see an answer to this one, but thought I may be able to help. My volume capped WM1AM2 could output a max of 0.2V RMS.
Uncapped is a 2V RMS. That a 20dB difference, so 20 clicks would be right if each volume step is 1dB.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,065 of 4,162
Sorry to reply to such an old post... I didn't see an answer to this one, but thought I may be able to help. My volume capped WM1AM2 could output a max of 0.2V RMS.
Uncapped is a 2V RMS. That a 20dB difference, so 20 clicks would be right if each volume step is 1dB.
Thanks, that would explain it linking steps/RMS/dB so spot on, thanks. But, wouldn't dB also be totally dependant an IEM's used too ?

I could blow my ears out at ~80/120 with my Shure SE846's while with my Sony M9's I could likely go to 120/120, be way too loud to comfortably listen but not blow my eardrums out (short burst). (Uncapped version)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3,067 of 4,162
Is the A306 The Smallest Android DAP you can buy atm?

I can't think of anything smaller with full Android, so I'd say yes. That's why I love it so much, besides the great sound. It's so compact, you can use it anywhere, even doing chores or working out or just sitting around eating bags of doritos and cheetos. 😀

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #3,068 of 4,162
I can't think of anything smaller with full Android, so I'd say yes. That's why I love it so much, besides the great sound. It's so compact, you can use it anywhere, even doing chores or working out or just sitting around eating bags of doritos and cheetos. 😀
And battery lasts ages with own files and walkman music app (WiFi/BT off).

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #3,070 of 4,162
😅 now I don't know which one to follow
It doesn't.

There is only one set of LCs, it's physically impossible to have balanced with that.

You need two LC for right and two LC for left, it only has two in total.

No Balance, no matter the cable or what. On top of that, the Amp doesn't have 4 Channels, it only has two. So even when you would place this amp on am board with 4 LCs, it would only use two as there is no circuit for 4..

Edit: as it seems, If you would have 4 LCs, it could do balanced. The A300 uses the balanced S-Master HX as it seems. So have fun modding :D

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #3,071 of 4,162
Yes, lol we've said that from the start, you're just getting the signal with separate grounds instead of a common.

So no extra power. 😕 the pin configuration was my fault, I just saw sony and balanced and took a snap of it. But that was the pentacon plug. Plus you'd still need extra components to do balanced amplification obviously.
You do get a tiny bit of width with the extra ground, but it's just a hair. My 4 pole adapter was only 8 bucks? Or 6 so no worries.

So...... I wouldn't put too much effort into using a 4 pole plug 😉

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #3,072 of 4,162
Yes, lol we've said that from the start, you're just getting the signal with separate grounds instead of a common.

So no extra power. 😕 the pin configuration was my fault, I just saw sony and balanced and took a snap of it. But that was the pentacon plug. Plus you'd still need extra components to do balanced amplification obviously.
You do get a tiny bit of width with the extra ground, but it's just a hair. My 4 pole adapter was only 8 bucks? Or 6 so no worries.

So...... I wouldn't put too much effort into using a 4 pole plug 😉

To add, the ground is just internal rather than at the plug. I don't see how it could make much difference. iFi did something similar and were bold enough to call it "S-balanced" just to confuse buyers and imply balanced support. Of course, they are both totally single-ended electronically.

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #3,073 of 4,162
Well in my and psikey's case we are using balanced cables and plugs, so there's a ground for each channel. But yes normally it's for naught, just like the ifi nuttiness. It's not something that you would buy a balanced cable for because the benefits are small.

But in our cases we just used adapters to our balanced cables and there is a slight widening of the stage. And the prices were ridiculously low so it was worth doing to try it out. I mean volume matched I don't notice that much difference in a true balanced setup. My guess is Sony just has an excess of those jacks :)

I'm using a non balanced cable now anyways and of course it still sounds great. It's not a super expansive dap in the width anyways but it has nice depth and imaging. It's a very upfront sound that still has nice depth and space. 'To my ears anyways', Ive got wider and 'spacier' ha ha sources, but I prefer the Sony sound, and don't really listen to those much. Personally I like the 'focused' sound of the 306.

We can call the plugs 4 pole and trrs to elude confusion 😀 But technically in electrical terms if each path or channel or the circuit has it own ground and not shared in the return loop we call that balanced. Which is not seperate amplification as in balanced but electrically considered balanced.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,074 of 4,162
My guess is Sony just has an excess of those jacks :)

I imagine they have a few million TRRS combo jacks left over from their PC and cell phone businesses... :wink:

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #3,075 of 4,162
I imagine they have a few million TRRS combo jacks left over from their PC and cell phone businesses... :wink:

Yes, and just like when you see newer models of daps using the same dacs as the previous ones. You've got to utilize your overstock somehow. Not that there's much difference there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back