New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,986 of 4,198
My biggest bit of advice for making all apps easier to use is to set 'Display Size' in the Android settings to 'Small,' because otherwise you can't even read the full track/artist information in most music apps. I also think enabling gesture navigation is essential, it has made navigating the device more modern and also frees up more display space.
wow thanks i knew you could change font size but not display size. it works great and now tidal and other apps fit well on the screen with no cropping and still big enough text set to default. cheers

Screenshot_20230411-185835.png

Screenshot_20230411-185858.png

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,988 of 4,198
Another Tip/Trick for convenience purposes… if you use a lock screen and are always annoyed with unlocking every time just to get to your music player. You can turn on App Pinning, then Pin your music player. Now when you close out the screen and turn it back on, your music player (or whatever app you pin) will be displayed right there on top of the Lock Screen and it’s fully functional. It does lock that app on the screen, so you will still have to unlock the device if you need to go in to a different app…unlocking the device also removes the pinned app. This works great for me when I am just relaxing with my eyes closed and know I won’t be on the device doing other things, besides using the player for different purposes.. eq, searching, creating playlist etc.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,989 of 4,198
i listen with direct source on for my flac files but was messing about with sonys effects. feel most do something, but vinyl processor seems to do absolutely balls all. anyone else think any different?

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,990 of 4,198
Another Tip/Trick for convenience purposes… if you use a lock screen and are always annoyed with unlocking every time just to get to your music player. You can turn on App Pinning, then Pin your music player. Now when you close out the screen and turn it back on, your music player (or whatever app you pin) will be displayed right there on top of the Lock Screen and it’s fully functional. It does lock that app on the screen, so you will still have to unlock the device if you need to go in to a different app…unlocking the device also removes the pinned app. This works great for me when I am just relaxing with my eyes closed and know I won’t be on the device doing other things, besides using the player for different purposes.. eq, searching, creating playlist etc.
nice tip btw

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #2,991 of 4,198
i listen with direct source on for my flac files but was messing about with sonys effects. feel most do something, but vinyl processor seems to do absolutely balls all. anyone else think any different?

Really subtle but seems to add a bit of warmth or cut the highs a tiny bit. But it's not much no.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #2,992 of 4,198
Really subtle but seems to add a bit of warmth or cut the highs a tiny bit. But it's not much no.
To me it seems to make the bass response a touch looser. Not a fan.

I keep going back and forth on DSEE. It’s so subtle. Blind AB I am able to sorta pick out when it’s on but it’s difficult. Maybe it’s more obvious on lower quality files? I just don’t wanna waste the extra battery if it’s not doing much on my better quality files.
How’s everyone else feel about DSEE?

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #2,993 of 4,198
To me it seems to make the bass response a touch looser. Not a fan.

I keep going back and forth on DSEE. It’s so subtle. Blind AB I am able to sorta pick out when it’s on but it’s difficult. Maybe it’s more obvious on lower quality files? I just don’t wanna waste the extra battery if it’s not doing much on my better quality files.
How’s everyone else feel about DSEE?

Don't use it myself, only thing I use is a tiny bit of EQ. The less processing the better, on some gear I use direct. I do think the DSEE is pretty useless on all but low quality files. Even then I'm not too sure.

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #2,998 of 4,198
We're well past that. These are for good music. Use your phone for fast.

I don't understand why people compare to mobile phones. These are low production (compared to mobiles) , music focused devices with money going into the audio side of things like audio components and the hard buttons for control, and with many other DAP's for driving power for headphones & balanced. Most phones don't even have a 3.5mm socket now.

If you're a person that can't hear the difference to a mobile phone or not need/want wired earphones then yes, stick with your phone. Some places don't even let you take a mobile phone in (mostly due to camera) while no issue with a DAP. I want to listen all day to 8hrs of music I don't need to be concerned about the hit on my "jack of all trades" mobile phone.

We only even have Android so the companies can meet the need for Streaming Music service support. If you don't need that why even buy an Android DAP, stick with one of the others.

If I only used BT buds I'd not buy a DAP as mobile over same BT Codec just as good IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #2,999 of 4,198
Agree, its not a phone. The Samsung wearable app won't even recognize it. Plus..... the standby and battery life are good enough that you can leave it on all day and only shut it down at night- so only one boot up a day. This is strictly for music, that's its main purpose. The other advantage is small size, I use some sansung galaxy buds or whatever instead of my relative bulky phone in my shorts pockets while jogging I can use the much lighter a306.

Boot time isn't an issue in my use.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,000 of 4,198
Agree, its not a phone. The Samsung wearable app won't even recognize it. Plus..... the standby and battery life are good enough that you can leave it on all day and only shut it down at night- so only one boot up a day. This is strictly for music, that's its main purpose. The other advantage is small size, I use some sansung galaxy buds or whatever instead of my relative bulky phone in my shorts pockets while jogging I can use the much lighter a306.

Boot time isn't an issue in my use.
I turn mine off when not using and at most I charge normally once/per week. I've never considered start-up time an issue for a DAP. My phones on wireless dock charging each night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back