New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 10, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,971 of 4,126
Spotify ok with me too.

20230410_130448.jpg

Version #

20230410_130746.jpg

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2,973 of 4,126
In my view it should sound near same and does for me. Both UAPP & Walkman are bit perfect so should be I'd have thought. Never had any atrac format music. You can't use any Sony Sound tweaks with UAPP though. I just use Walkman music as best for battery life & I like interface anyway. Just not got around to uninstalling UAPP yet.

Yep I tried poweramp and it was pretty cool, but I'm so comfy with the Walkman app I deleted it. I only have hiby because you can use their dsp settings in exclusive USB mode, which is cool for dongles. Doesn't work on dsd but works on everything else.

But I find the Walkman app pretty nice to use and it's bit perfect also, hiby is bit perfect but only on exclusive USB mode, otherwise it's android sound. It's like an old pair of comfortable gloves that you keep using even though you have newer supposedly better/warmer gloves. 😀 true story my gloves are like 30 years old ha ha. I've got a Columbia coat that's like 20 plus years old that I still wear sometimes because it's warm as F. They don't make them like that anymore lol.

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,976 of 4,126
Yea I meant to respond to him.
I tried neutron and uapp and hated the user interface and overall look.

I couldn’t hear any distinguishable difference between poweramp and Fiio and Ibasso native players. And I tried. Used unique melody mest mkii and my Yanyin moonlights which are both pretty revealing.

Haven’t direct compared poweramp to Sony.

Battery life for me was pretty much the same with poweramp on the Fiio and Ibasso. It might use a tiny more. But it seemed negligible enough not to matter.

The user interface is so much better im willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of battery life. Especially since I took so many other steps to reduce any extra battery drain elsewhere.
Is the Sony NW-A306 better than the Dx170?

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #2,977 of 4,126
In power output no but in portability (size of device) then yes the Sony Nw-A306 is better. It really depends how the reason why are you purchasing this device. For example if you have headphone with a high impendance then I wouldn't recommend the Sony but if you just plan to use iems with the Sony dap then you should be fine. The device itself is great especially after the software update but you can find other dap on the market for similar price ($300-500) that are better in other ways. For example, Hiby R5 gen 2 has amazing battery life (35 hrs similar to Sony claimed battery life) but the R5 processor is really old and would struggle with streaming apps. While the new Hiby R6 gen 3 has android 12 and better performance overall but battery life suffers. Another option to potentially look for if you are interested in a small dap is the Shanling M3 Ultra but the device has a locked launcher so this may be an issue for you depending how you use it. Hopefully this helps you in making a purchasing decision.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #2,981 of 4,126
Which of the A300 region doesn't have Volume Cap? Any comparison to the LG V60 that is cheaper?

Does the A300 handle 1TB of music files :smile:
From the ZX707 thread:
It was me before, doing the homework since I was interested in getting ZX707 before

Here the recap so far :

EU/UK version : NO high gain
US version : NO high gain
Japan version : High gain
Singapore version : NO high gain
Malaysian version : High gain
Hong Kong version : High gain
Canada version : NO high gain
India version : High gain
Australian version : High gain
Philippines version : High gain

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,982 of 4,126
Which of the A300 region doesn't have Volume Cap? Any comparison to the LG V60 that is cheaper?

I have the Lg v60 as well as an uncapped Japanese version of the Sony a306.

My Japanese sony a306 has more volume on tap than the Lg v60 but I haven’t tried the “trick” to get my Lg v60 into high gain mode. To me the sony sounds better. The Lg is definitely faster and has all sorts of other frills. And has great battery life (62 hours in airplane mode playing music with no screen on time in my tests). It looks fantastic with poweramp too and works great.

However I’m about to move my Lg v60 along. The updates from a11 onward have broken two critical features when using it as a DAP and Lg customer service is inept.

External volume controls do not work with a11-13 when using wired output and quad dac. It works find without quad dac but the whole point of me buying that device was to use as a dap.
The other issue is that the Ldac codec won’t work with some devices. I have an ifi zen Bluetooth receiver I use in my home hifi setup and the Lg won’t connect at all via Ldac.

I’ve been trying to go back and forth with Lg customer Service and they are useless. Lots of other people experiencing the same exact issues. Weirdly not everyone. Sorta like the bass issue on the Sonys. But unlike sony, Lg has known about this for a long time and isn’t fixing it.

It’s a shame too. If volume control and Ldac worked… and if I could turn high gain mode on without a stupid adapter trick that has to stay plugged into the jack… I’d love my v60. But those are all unacceptable problems for anyone trying to use it as a dap IMO.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2,983 of 4,126
In my opinion. Yes. I think the sound is better. Not as much gain. I have the uncapped version so I have enough to drive my iems. Even my more power hungry mest mkii. Which is fine for me.

But to me the Ibasso’s battery life was so terrible that it was useless to me as a dap. I mean I had a 5 hour flight and it only made it maybe a little over 4 hours with pretty low screen on time.

The sony is also faster but I did follow the guide to streamline the device and that helped. At first out of the box it was as slow and clunky as the dx 170. I highly reccomend finding and following that list of tweaks to make it operate better and boost battery life. And getting an uncapped version.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,984 of 4,126

I’m using a 1tb sandisk extreme in my a306. Probably actually at around 650gb full. Works great.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,985 of 4,126
Walkman optimization guide:
Guide last updated: Nov 2022

General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your own risk.

Please note that this guide was made in Apr 2022, the best efforts on my end was made to ensure that this tweaks and optimisation worked back then with firmware 1.01.

if you are reading this guide on a much future date, there are likely new changes in firmware or Google’s app dependencies that might result in unsuccessful debloating or cause certain app to malfunction. This will require more trial and error on your end to ink out the issue. Please do read to the end of the thread to check upon if anyone else has give new information that will help to resolve any new issues with debloating of newer firmware.

Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide and also post any new issues and troubleshooted resolutions you found with the guide to allow others to benefit from information.

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):
Please note that you can also uninstall apps which is more effective than just disabling apps but to uninstall apps you need to enable usb debugging mode and use a software on your computer to uninstall. Please read further down this thread for more info:

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
Maps
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Share usage statistics > Slide to left

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Improve voice and typing for everyone > Slide to left

Settings > Google > Personalize using shared data > slide left for everything listed here

Settings > Accessibility > Remove animations > Slide to right

Settings > Google > tap on 3 dots at top right hand corner > Usage & diagnostic > Slide left

You can also consider changing the Google keyboard app to a lower memory footprint app like simple keyboard or Microsoft swift keyboard. Please note that only Google keyboard will work in safe mode so do not adb uninstall the Gboard app but to disable it instead for in case of emergency situatons where you need to go safe mode and require software keyboard input.

For those using Google playstore account, you may want to change these to protect your privacy better:

Settings > Privacy > Advanced > Ads > enable debug logs for ads (turn off)

Settings > Google > Personalize using share data > other on-device sources > turn off both device contacts and external media

(Ignore this) For Google search result hit:

ソニーWM1AM2およびWM1ZM2 Androidウォークマン最適化ガイド

索尼 WM1AM2 和 WM1ZM2 安卓随身听优化指南

Users who are viewing this thread

Back