New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2,326 of 4,127
Question regarding volume capping in EU/UK

Is there a way to measure this or is the capping referring merely to any possible warning when increasing the volume?

How does this audio capping manifest?

I'm asking because the UK version I have doesn't display any warning (visual or otherwise) when increasing the volume to 120 and leaving it there for several days, is there a way to check the volume capping?

Is there any other difference in comparison to the Japanese version?
Thanks
The is no UK Version, there is an EU Version.

And like the WM1 and ZX, also the A-Series is capped.

You can check it by enabling AVLS, at what volume does the AVLS lock you?

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #2,327 of 4,127
Do you have a source for this? Last I heard what that this was from a more informal phone conversation and they put nothing in writing. Until it's in writing it means nothing.
One would think that if it boils down to a firmware issue, not only would Sony have pinpointed the problem (since they'd declared it firmware-related, they'd know what's wrong), but they would have corrected it by now. I mean, how hard/long is it to push a firmware out? Because meantime, this device is getting a rather bad rep, and it's not isolated cases. If that thread is statistically anything to go by, half the owners are impacted. Factor in too the lost sales to people like me, sitting on the fence waiting for the problem to be resolved. So one would think they'd push a patched firmware out asap.
I persist in thinking there's more to it than a firmware issue, and something hardware has gone haywire. But we'll see. Maybe they're just slow and lazy :wink:

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #2,328 of 4,127
One would think that if it boils down to a firmware issue, not only would Sony have pinpointed the problem (since they'd declared it firmware-related, they'd know what's wrong), but they would have corrected it by now. I mean, how hard/long is it to push a firmware out? Because meantime, this device is getting a rather bad rep, and it's not isolated cases. If that thread is statistically anything to go by, half the owners are impacted. Factor in too the lost sales to people like me, sitting on the fence waiting for the problem to be resolved. So one would think they'd push a patched firmware out asap.
I persist in thinking there's more to it than a firmware issue, and something hardware has gone haywire. But we'll see. Maybe they're just slow and lazy :wink:
In the end, almost identical devices with the identical firmware are randomly affected.

It doesn't completely rule out the firmware, but this smells like hardware to me

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #2,329 of 4,127
Does anyone know whether this would work with the Apple USB-C to headphone adapter? All I need is a cheap way to stream Apple Music. I would prefer not to get another iOS device, so that I am not creating an entire device on iCloud.

I’m hoping that with circumvent some of the hardware issues if I can just use it as a transport

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #2,330 of 4,127
Does anyone know whether this would work with the Apple USB-C to headphone adapter? All I need is a cheap way to stream Apple Music. I would prefer not to get another iOS device, so that I am not creating an entire device on iCloud.

I’m hoping that with circumvent some of the hardware issues if I can just use it as a transport
https://moondroplab.com/en/products/click-3-5

You're welcome

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #2,331 of 4,127

I'm sure the firmware will include other things and they were already working on the first firmware update and will just add it to that. Probably some performance increases and bug fixes besides the bass problem.

And I'm sure that just because they're reporting the same android ID for the firmware they're not identical. I mean there has to be some differences just accounting for units that are capped and those that aren't. Anyways it's all we have right now, I mean no one else has any pertinent info right? Rlw6534 talked to an actual Sony employee that said to post the message on the Sony website.

That Sony was aware and will fix the problem via firmware. It's the most solid info we have at this point. Sony may never disclose what caused the problem. As long as they fix it, that's what matters.

As for software, yes something weird has personally happened to my unit- going quiet and weak bass after I used my dongle on Android then Sony direct - app (usb) and hiby direct USB. Factory resets have restored volume and low end both times. So that's obviously a software bug right there.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #2,332 of 4,127
And I'm sure that just because they're reporting the same android ID for the firmware they're not identical. I mean there has to be some differences just accounting for units that are capped and those that aren't.
The problem with this is that the bass problem occurs on both the capped and uncapped units. So unless it's a very random bug in BOTH firmwares, it sounds more hardware related. And since both variants of firmware would have the same problem, it'd be the same fix for both. Being in dev myself, I can also tell you that if half your customer base ends up with a major problem (and where big money is involved, let's don't forget, considering all the units out there potentially with this issue), you do freeze developments on all niceties and enhancements to address that issue urgently as a number one priority. But as I said... Maybe Sony thinks differently and can afford to take their time. Time will tell.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #2,333 of 4,127
The problem with this is that the bass problem occurs on both the capped and uncapped units. So unless it's a very random bug in BOTH firmwares, it sounds more hardware related. And since both variants of firmware would have the same problem, it'd be the same fix for both. Being in dev myself, I can also tell you that if half your customer base ends up with a major problem (and where big money is involved, let's don't forget, considering all the units out there potentially with this issue), you do freeze developments on all niceties and enhancements to address that issue urgently as a number one priority. But as I said... Maybe Sony thinks differently and can afford to take their time. Time will tell.

Well I can only speak for my unit, but that wasn't hardware. It's all speculation at this point anyways , besides what we have got from Sony infowise. I'd wager out of the thousands they probably sold they have minimal people even reporting a problem. If you notice there's no mention of the bass complaints on the English Sony sites and not many Japanese people even reporting it. It's mostly us with our 50 units or what not. So that would explain them not putting out a patch right away. It's only on the US site thanks to rlw6534's thread he started. And the patch they were working on probably had some minor bug fixes and performance stuff that was needed anyways.

Yes time will tell. I hope one way or another everybody gets a fully working unit, because it's a really nice little dap. At this point I take the info from Sony at face value.

And, we will see it in writing, in the patch notes 😉 You think Sony wants to advertise a problem that most people aren't even aware of? By making an announcement??

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #2,334 of 4,127
The is no UK Version, there is an EU Version.

And like the WM1 and ZX, also the A-Series is capped.

You can check it by enabling AVLS, at what volume does the AVLS lock you?
What does A-series is capped mean? That's essentially the question. What shall I expect to see? The max volume is 120. Is the Japanese version also "capped"? Are you referring to high-gain or to something else? High-gain is only available in more expensive models and that's no a300 series so back to my question what is capped and what shall I expect to see?

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #2,335 of 4,127
Well I can only speak for my unit, but that wasn't hardware. It's all speculation at this point anyways , besides what we have got from Sony infowise. I'd wager out of the thousands they probably sold they have minimal people even reporting a problem. If you notice there's no mention of the bass complaints on the English Sony sites and not many Japanese people even reporting it. It's mostly us with our 50 units or what not. So that would explain them not putting out a patch right away. It's only on the US site thanks to rlw6534's thread he started. And the patch they were working on probably had some minor bug fixes and performance stuff that was needed anyways.

Yes time will tell. I hope one way or another everybody gets a fully working unit, because it's a really nice little dap. At this point I take the info from Sony at face value.

And, we will see it in writing, in the patch notes 😉 You think Sony wants to advertise a problem that most people aren't even aware of? By making an announcement??
agree that it's merely speculation atm. I do speculate it's hardware just because of the same reason. A "handful" of units in the US, Japan, Australia, EU are showing this issue. What makes them "special"?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #2,336 of 4,127
What does A-series is capped mean? That's essentially the question. What shall I expect to see? The max volume is 120. Is the Japanese version also "capped"? Are you referring to high-gain or to something else? High-gain is only available in more expensive models and that's no a300 series so back to my question what is capped and what shall I expect to see?

Thanks!

The amp power is lowered, even though you can go to 120 it's not as loud as an uncapped unit. It's literally neutered.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #2,337 of 4,127
If you notice there's no mention of the bass complaints on the English Sony sites and not many Japanese people even reporting it. It's mostly us with our 50 units or what not.
Which is really weird to me because apparently the issue is quite prominent. I went through the demo machines in my local Sony store while waiting to pick up my WF1000XM4 repair (thanks Sony for yet another firmware issue), and the first one I tried has the bass issue. The problem must be so widespread for them to have defective display units on their store shelf but only very few people seem to actually care.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #2,338 of 4,127
agree that it's merely speculation atm. I do speculate it's hardware just because of the same reason. A "handful" of units in the US, Japan, Australia, EU are showing this issue. What makes them "special"?

So because it's random, you don't think it could be software? And you think Sony is lying? We don't know if it's a handful, it's only a handful of people here. There could be many people with the issue either using bassy iems or compensating with eq and thinking that's how it's supposed to be. There could be half or more, it's impossible to tell at this point.

Anyways like I said, whatever the problem Sony will have to take care of it.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #2,339 of 4,127
Which is really weird to me because apparently the issue is quite prominent. I went through the demo machines in my local Sony store while waiting to pick up my WF1000XM4 repair (thanks Sony for yet another firmware issue), and the first one I tried has the bass issue. The problem must be so widespread for them to have defective display units on their store shelf but only very few people seem to actually care.
I think some people just haven't noticed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back