New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 11, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #2,056 of 4,127
Kinda makes you wonder how thoroughly reviewers actually listen to the devices with 50% of the samples we have showing significant bass issues. I have seen several NW-A300 series reviews and not one has mentioned the defect. Very odd.

Super odd, 10db is a big loss, you're going to be missing some lower mids all the way down. That would make the sound sharp and not well rounded with no EQ. Add that to the volume cap and you WOULD have a clock radio. ⏰ 😀

I imagine alot of people are using bass boosted iems/buds in Japan and probably using EQ to boost the lows and call it a day. But, if you're using that much EQ you're adding lots of distortion and Sonys aren't highest snr units out there anyways.

If Sony fixes it with a firmware upgrade it will blow their minds lol. They'll be taking those bass eq lvls down.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,057 of 4,127
I plan to purchase the Sony Walkman NW-A306 32GB through Amazon Italy, however I want to know if with a 1TB micro-sdxc card that containing about 25,526 songs the music player can handle stably and without any slowness, I understand that the operating system that brings the Sony Walkman NW-A306 is Android 12. I also want to know if it is true that the model for the European market comes with a volume limit (imposed by the EU). The other valid alternative I am considering is the iBasso DX170, some people around the web say it is more robust and less slow than the Sony Walkman NW-A360 in terms of storage via micro sdxc. What I don't understand is that a friend who bought the Sony Walkman NW-A360 has been doing very well with a 2TB micro sdxc card storage with entire collections in FLAC and ALAC format, while other people I see complaining about the slowness of being able to read a certain amount of data on micro sdxc card (high quality songs). Between the iBasso DX170 and the Sony Walkman NW-A360, which of the two do you consider to be the better DAP in terms of performance and sound quality?. Thanks
Sony doesn't listen to customers complaints, since the A100 I've had horrible slowness browsing through my 1TB microSD with 80,000 songs in the Walkman app and I informed them a million times in all their social media accounts and they never fixed it and I was hoping it'd be fixed for the A300 but nope!, so I gave up with the Walkman app, I use other apps like Foldplay and USB APP for my 80,000 songs and all is well, also I didn't know there's a 2TB microSD. 😍

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,058 of 4,127
The difference in volume would be massive if the cans required it. The uncapped version is less than 1 Vrms about. 098. The ibasso is 3.2 Vrms and 6.40 Vrm balanced. That's over 3 times the power output on the standard 3.5 jack and over 6 times the output power on balanced. There's 3 gain settings on the ibasso. If you put it on high gain there's going to be a bigger volume gap.

I get it your happy, but there's no denying even the uncapped has one of the weakest outputs including dongles. So if someone wants something to be loud or they're trying to drive a planar or hard to drive iem or can a106 isn't going to cut it. So try to to say there isn't much difference because you sort of matched the volume on 2 daps on whatever is not really telling the story.

It all depends on what your trying to drive and honestly 40 on a capped unit would be way too soft for some people.

That's why I said, it's ideal if he could get them both and try them out. He might have something requiring more power, his ears might like the sound sig of the ibasso, he might have more revealing gear or different sonic preferences. I've got the dc03 pro dongle which sounds similar to dx160 and it has a definite different sound than the Sony, the stage is wider, mids are back a bit and it's more neutral.
you get im happy but keep pointing out why i shouldnt be

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,059 of 4,127
Sony doesn't listen to customers complaints, since the A100 I've had horrible slowness browsing through my 1TB microSD with 80,000 songs in the Walkman app and I informed them a million times in all their social media accounts and they never fixed it and I was hoping it'd be fixed for the A300 but nope!, so I gave up with the Walkman app, I use other apps like Foldplay and USB APP for my 80,000 songs and all is well, also I didn't know there's a 2TB microSD. 😍
There isn't a 2tb micro sd card available to the public yet but few prototypes exists currently. Hopefully in the near future the 2tb micro sd card will be available to the general public while also decreasing the price of 1tb micro sd cards. I currently have a 512gb micro sd with about 70gbs of space available but the storage size for a 24bit albums (usually around 800mbs - 1gb) is pretty high compared to 16bit albums (around 300mbs but less than 500mbs)

Here is a link to the article I am referencing in my comment: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/meet-the-worlds-first-2-terabyte-microsd-card

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #2,060 of 4,127
Update for the bass roll-off issue:

1678606300580.png

Model: YY1301B1
S/N: 4000003
Purchased: Sony India(concept kart)
NO ISSUE

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #2,061 of 4,127
There isn't a 2tb micro sd card available to the public yet but few prototypes exists currently. Hopefully in the near future the 2tb micro sd card will be available to the general public while also decreasing the price of 1tb micro sd cards. I currently have a 512gb micro sd with about 70gbs of space available but the storage size for a 24bit albums (usually around 800mbs - 1gb) is pretty high compared to 16bit albums (around 300mbs but less than 500mbs). So, in the near future I will most likely have to upgrade my micro sd card, but my music collection is small in comparison to your 80,000 tracks library and mine is approximately 15,000 tracks.

Here is a link to the article I am referencing in my comment: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/meet-the-worlds-first-2-terabyte-microsd-card

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #2,062 of 4,127
those using uapp on the smaller screen, im guessing i cant make the album art any bigger (i dont want to hide the notification bar). in settings i have maximise album art checked and have turned the font in android to smallest. its a shame sony has disabled gesture navigation and makes us use the 3 button navigation (god knows why).

here you can see the walkman app handles UI better on the tiny screen

uapp on the nw-306
Screenshot_20230312-080017.png

walkman app
Screenshot_20230312-075954.png

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #2,063 of 4,127
those using uapp on the smaller screen, im guessing i cant make the album art any bigger (i dont want to hide the notification bar). in settings i have maximise album art checked and have turned the font in android to smallest. its a shame sony has disabled gesture navigation and makes us use the 3 button navigation (god knows why).

uapp on the nw-306

walkman app
See here for how to enable gesture navigation
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-walkman-nw-a300-series-android-12.966467/post-17401580

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #2,067 of 4,127

uapp on the nw-306

walkman app
after following the advice above to change the walkman to gesture based navigation, here are how the screens look, much better in general o think. uapp still really needs the notification bar disabled for decent sized album art I think. cheers

uapp with gesture based navigation
Screenshot_20230312-085629.png

uapp with gesture based navigation and notification bar disabled in uapp settings
Screenshot_20230312-085808.png

walkman app with gesture based navigation
Screenshot_20230312-085958.png

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,068 of 4,127
Great-this is an unique opportunity to show Sony we’re not delirious. Keep both documented with the REW graphing. I would also suggest the following assuming you have a Line In available : record in Audacity (for example) the same track rich in bass (like Leonard Cohen I’m Your Man or Madredeus “Electrónico” O Mar 5th track) or whatever you find and like - in same conditions I.e. direct on and same recording level @24Bit 44.1Khz. If you can later share both .WAV files we can run a spectrum plot in both to compare.

Alright, here we go. I tested both units with and without ClearAudio+ all in the same REW workspace. I also recorded the first 20 seconds of Sultans of Swing from both (without ClearAudio+ or anything else enabled).

You can download a zipfile here (12Mb) containing the recordings and the REW workspace screenshotted below for your analysing pleasure.

a306-comparison-REW.png

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,069 of 4,127
So I received my IE200 yesterday and listened all night! You are right this is a good pair with the a306 and IE200. They are a bit lower in volume compared to my Fiio FH5s as I noticed I have to raised my volume about 5-7 more steps but that still doesn’t bother me. The sound is very neutral and close to reference from what I can tell. Bass is smooth flowing and highs are snappy snd precise and not so scratchy. They are very comfortable to wear also being more compact and lightweight! I also would like to change the cable and also purchased the zipowin zonie cable but it was not snug enough for my liking… The left iem would keep disconnecting with enough force. So I ended up using the cable with my Fiio’s instead because I do like the cable much better lol. Overall I am very happy with the combo a306 and IE200. Once you get the right tips (using spinfit W1) and I get a cable that will fit them properly.. it will be my go to for certain music like rock, alternative, jazz and the Fiio’s if I want more bass heavy music like hip hop or edm. As a side note.. music was even more exciting with the iE200s when I linked them up to my btr5 and the a306 via Bluetooth and was listening to my music over hi res LDAC 😁. If you do end up modding the cable or iems so the cable does fit properly please let me know if it works out for you! Too scared to try that now lol.
PXL_20230312_110651075.jpg

Soooo, this is even better now :) microphonics be (almost) gone! Make sure not to cut the whole plastic ring on the cable. Leave a tiny bit (so you can still see which side is which). Fits very firmly now.
After more than a week of using the Sony, here are my favourite pairings:
- Layed back home listening: HD599s
- On the go/moving around the house: IE200
- Sport: PXC550/Samsung galaxy buds live

Gotta be honest, every one of my IEMS sounds good on the Sony, but the IE200 just feels so much better on the Sony than on the Shanling M1. I have no idea how to even explain the difference tho xD maybe I should REW the shanling to see if it is flat or if there is a reason why I prefer the Sony so much...

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #2,070 of 4,127
What email or URL have people used to raise the issue with Sony so that we can all hit the same point of contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back