New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,071 of 4,139
Alright, here we go. I tested both units with and without ClearAudio+ all in the same REW workspace. I also recorded the first 20 seconds of Sultans of Swing from both (without ClearAudio+ or anything else enabled).

You can download a zipfile here (12Mb) containing the recordings and the REW workspace screenshotted below for your analysing pleasure.

a306-comparison-REW.png
12009436.png

Curious that yours looks different than mine (Clearaudio on). Why is your Y-axis scale so different (105 dB vs 0 dB)?

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #2,073 of 4,139
you get im happy but keep pointing out why i shouldnt be

Not you, but some people would have a problem with a capped unit. Especially depending on what they're trying to drive or what their expectations are. Like if they have had another dap that's not neutered. Plus they might not like the random warnings and volume drops to 50.

Personally I wouldn't recommend him getting the Sony until the bass problems are resolved.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #2,074 of 4,139
Alright, here we go. I tested both units with and without ClearAudio+ all in the same REW workspace. I also recorded the first 20 seconds of Sultans of Swing from both (without ClearAudio+ or anything else enabled).

You can download a zipfile here (12Mb) containing the recordings and the REW workspace screenshotted below for your analysing pleasure.

a306-comparison-REW.png

Why is clear audio taking a nose dive in the low end. The bass sounds massively boosted with it on.

Oh forget it. Sultans of Swing 😉

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2,075 of 4,139
The difference in volume would be massive if the cans required it. The uncapped version is less than 1 Vrms about. 098. The ibasso is 3.2 Vrms and 6.40 Vrm balanced. That's over 3 times the power output on the standard 3.5 jack and over 6 times the output power on balanced. There's 3 gain settings on the ibasso. If you put it on high gain there's going to be a bigger volume gap.

I get it your happy, but there's no denying even the uncapped has one of the weakest outputs including dongles. So if someone wants something to be loud or they're trying to drive a planar or hard to drive iem or can a106 isn't going to cut it. So try to to say there isn't much difference because you sort of matched the volume on 2 daps on whatever is not really telling the story.

It all depends on what your trying to drive and honestly 40 on a capped unit would be way too soft for some people.

That's why I said, it's ideal if he could get them both and try them out. He might have something requiring more power, his ears might like the sound sig of the ibasso, he might have more revealing gear or different sonic preferences. I've got the dc03 pro dongle which sounds similar to dx160 and it has a definite different sound than the Sony, the stage is wider, mids are back a bit and it's more neutral.
It is true that it's output is weak, but it still can drive 100% if all IEM and pretty sure 80+% of all headphones so it's totally fair that most people don't care

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #2,076 of 4,139
When adding additional passes via the "Measure" button in REW, it plotted them in absolute values rather than against a reference. I'm not familiar enough with REW to instruct it to change the scale, so I did them all in that manner.

Got it. You used "Measure" vs "Calibrate soundcard"... I believe the "Calibrate soundcard" uses 1 kHz as the zero reference if the levels are matched.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #2,077 of 4,139
It is true that it's output is weak, but it still can drive 100% if all IEM and pretty sure 80+% of all headphones so it's totally fair that most people don't care

Lol mine couldn't, I can only go by my experience. And that's a hell of a useless blanket statement, unless you've tested 100% of all headphones on your capped unit.

And our definitive of 'drive' I think is vastly different. I mean getting enough power to the particular iem/can to sound full- not just a certain loudness.

I can get volume out of my Sennheiser's but they sound so much better driven properly. Anyways this is pointless and silly.

Based on my experience having used both capped and uncapped. I wouldn't recommend capped to anyone. Glad you're satisfied but others wouldn't be.

Hence the reason people export non capped units. Yes the general population might not care, but then again they might not have had a normal unit.

Anyways It's not personal if you're happy with it good for you, that's all that matters I don't recommend imyself. I can't take these goofy statements 🤣 I told the person that asked to try both daps and see which one he likes best, and he should wait till the bass thing is cleared up before he buys a306.

If it can drive 100% of iems and 80% of all headphones then why do most daps, dongles, and gear have much more driving power. Even Sony's better models have more output.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #2,078 of 4,139
Not you, but some people would have a problem with a capped unit. Especially depending on what they're trying to drive or what their expectations are. Like if they have had another dap that's not neutered. Plus they might not like the random warnings and volume drops to 50.

Personally I wouldn't recommend him getting the Sony until the bass problems are resolved.
Btw that has only happened to me ONCE in almost two weeks and I have been using mine like crazy lol.

The cap is good to point out, but it isn't an instant deal breaker. Just something to consider. Do you use IEMs or easy to drive headphones? K, then no need to panic about the cap. Otherwise: look somewhere else, or get a dongle.

Gotta be honest, buy the right tool for the rights job 🤷‍♂️ and yeah, try yourself.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #2,079 of 4,139
Lol mine couldn't, I can only go by my experience. And that's a hell of a useless blanket statement, unless you've tested 100% of all headphones on your capped unit.

And our definitive of 'drive' I think is vastly different. I mean getting enough power to the particular iem/can to sound full- not just a certain loudness.

I can get volume out of my Sennheiser's but they sound so much better driven properly. Anyways this is pointless and silly.

Based on my experience having used both capped and uncapped. I wouldn't recommend capped to anyone. Glad you're satisfied but others wouldn't be.

Hence the reason people export non capped units. Yes the general population might not care, but then again they might not have had a normal unit.

Anyways It's not personal if you're happy with it good for you, that's all that matters I don't recommend imyself. I can't take these goofy statements 🤣 I told the person that asked to try both daps and see which one he likes best, and he should wait till the bass thing is cleared up before he buys a306.

If it can drive 100% of iems and 80% of all headphones then why do most daps, dongles, and gear have much more driving power. Even Sony's better models have more output.
That statement was about the uncapped one

Because there are Headphones that need more Power, especially Planar

And ChiFi is simply sold by numbers. The bigger the number the better.

Most dongles have double the power of the 4000€ WM1ZM2 which can drive almost everything

There are ChiFi DAP that have 3000mW, that's enough power to even destroy most overear.

You can blow an 300Ω HD800S with some ChiFi DAP.

A lot of audiophiles don't know how electricity work and think, the more the better, that's why there are devices with that much power

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,080 of 4,139
Btw that has only happened to me ONCE in almost two weeks and I have been using mine like crazy lol.

The cap is good to point out, but it isn't an instant deal breaker. Just something to consider. Do you use IEMs or easy to drive headphones? K, then no need to panic about the cap. Otherwise: look somewhere else, or get a dongle

Oh dear lol, it's OK people. I've got ie800s, rose 3 mini pro. And final audio E2000. On MY capped unit I couldn't on softer songs get enough volume without 'over' driving the power with hiby app EQ. Then it still sounded weak.

So are those 3 hard to drive? I don't think so I've never had a problem before with them, and my uncapped one handles then fine.

But if I were Joe average and couldn't get my stuff to adequate volume I'd be miffed. And I would want to buy a dongle after spending almost 400 dollars. Frankly there's more important issues to discuss. The bass issue.

Maybe the US versions are capped more? Ha ha Maybe mine had both issues and had bass deficiency. Who knows, that was my experience with a capped unit.

Ymmv.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,081 of 4,139
That statement was about the uncapped one

Because there are Headphones that need more Power, especially Planar

And ChiFi is simply sold by numbers. The bigger the number the better.

Most dongles have double the power of the 4000€ WM1ZM2 which can drive almost everything

There are ChiFi DAP that have 3000mW, that's enough power to even destroy most overear.

You can blow an 300Ω HD800S with some ChiFi DAP.

A lot of audiophiles don't know how electricity work and think, the more the better, that's why there are devices with that much power

Oh sorry lol.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,082 of 4,139
On a different note, has anyone that has HK bass issue contacted Acessory Jack? And reported it. I'm just curious as to what they would say. I'm very curious how sony is going to handle this if it turns out to be a hardware issue.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,083 of 4,139

The cap is good to point out, but it isn't an instant deal breaker. Just something to consider. Do you use IEMs or easy to drive headphones? K, then no need to panic about the cap. Otherwise: look somewhere else, or get a dongle.

Gotta be honest, buy the right tool for the rights job 🤷‍♂️ and yeah, try yourself.

Anyways Lyzar I'm really glad you're happy with your Sony, that's all that matters is that you get listening enjoyment 😉 I get worked up, but I think my US one was just f' ed. It probably was double gimped. I wish I would have tested it.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2,084 of 4,139

Sorry cliffjnr, didn't mean to be so abrasive. If you like it that's all that matters. Mine was probably double f ' ed. It's a sweet little unit, and I'm glad you like it.

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,085 of 4,139
Anyways Lyzar I'm really glad you're happy with your Sony, that's all that matters is that you get listening enjoyment 😉 I get worked up, but I think my US one was just f' ed. It probably was double gimped. I wish I would have tested it.
I mean with the bass issue I can see why you get worked up. And I can also understand, that people from the US are not used to caps, which is kinda normal over here IMHO. Was not meant as a "oh your opinion sucks", sorry if it came of that way.
The cap I feel like will be very subjective, while the bass issue is just ****ed and can't be defended lol. I hope it is just an "easy software fix" and Sony are just taking their time to fix it the correct way (not boosting Low end on devices that don't have the issue), even though I am not affected.
Also I do understand that I am weird with volumes anyways lol. I hate loud earphones, I need my music loud enough so that I can hear the quiet things, but also quiet enough so that the louder stuff doesn't "hurt". I normally start at a uncomfortably loud volume (e.g. 70 with my IE 200s) and then work my way down to a comfortable level. That will take like 30 minutes, but obviously only when switching headphones. I usually end up in the low 50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back