New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,501 of 4,137
Other than the bass issue, do you think the A306 has enough power to drive a pair of HD599s? I have two headphones that I regularly use: Sennheiser IE 200 (which I am sure will work) and the Sennheiser HD599.

I would want it to be my upgrade over an old Shanling M1. It's battery life is getting shorter after 5 years of pretty extensive use

Edit: I am in the EU

Feb 28, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,502 of 4,137
Other than the bass issue, do you think the A306 has enough power to drive a pair of HD599s? I have two headphones that I regularly use: Sennheiser IE 200 (which I am sure will work) and the Sennheiser HD599.

I would want it to be my upgrade over an old Shanling M1. It's battery life is getting shorter after 5 years of pretty extensive use

Edit: I am in the EU

No. If you're going to try to drive full size headphones I recommend something like this little sucker- (pic) attached to your a306. I wouldn't get a capped one from the EU regardless. Then there's always the bass issue which would make the 599's sound like crap. I would wait and see what Sony does myself. My 2 cents 😀 Oh, and welcome!
20230228_003643.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,503 of 4,137
I found a site that apparently lists the contact info for several Sony executives, including the e-mail address for the CEO of Sony Japan. Perhaps it could be worthwhile to reach out to one or more of the executives; however, it's surely important to consider such options carefully.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,504 of 4,137
I found a site that apparently lists the contact info for several Sony executives, including the e-mail address for the CEO of Sony Japan. Perhaps it could be worthwhile to reach out to one or more of the executives; however, it's surely important to consider such options carefully.

There used to be someone on here that actually knew a Sony sound engineer. I can't remember their handle. Very knowledgeable and could possibly shed some light on things. I hope they pop in by chance.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,505 of 4,137
Also I happened to read the thread abour a306 problem on audioscience review, started by wheel audio. It stated good, but oh boy, some real dickheads commented- ok just one. But basically he was dismissing test results because of some terms that were used by one of our great, friendly, and really helpful members that brought this obvious problem to our attention.

No doubt in my mind there's a serious problem going on with some a306's. But BS like that isn't helpful, or needed.

I'm probably the most dickish one here, but I do appreciate my fellow members and all their insights and time they spent testing, contacting Sony, making lists etc. BTW the same terms he thought were clownish or amateurish? (I mean w*t*f this hobby is supposed to be fun right?) are the same ones I would use to describe the capped US model I had.

Some people, poor upbringing? entitled? Unhappy? You almost have to feel sorry for them.. if they weren't such pratts.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,506 of 4,137
No. If you're going to try to drive full size headphones I recommend something like this little sucker- (pic) attached to your a306. I wouldn't get a capped one from the EU regardless. Then there's always the bass issue which would make the 599's sound like crap. I would wait and see what Sony does myself. My 2 cents 😀 Oh, and welcome!
Thank you for your input :) and thanks for welcoming me! That's what I feared 😅 but yeah I mean getting a small USB-C DAC/AMP would be a solid solution.

The Bass issue worries me, but at the same time I am sure it will be fixed (and is a software issue, probably related to the capping which I am sure is done in software). But otherwise it looks to be a lovely device. Why are DAP manufacturers making it so hard for me? 😂 Like Shanling with being unspecific with the M1S already has me looking at the Sony really long and hard...

EDIT: will probably wait for a case (or at least a glass screen protector) to be available in Germany before ordering as well

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,507 of 4,137
Thank you for your input :) and thanks for welcoming me! That's what I feared 😅 but yeah I mean getting a small USB-C DAC/AMP would be a solid solution.

The Bass issue worries me, but at the same time I am sure it will be fixed (and is a software issue, probably related to the capping which I am sure is done in software). But otherwise it looks to be a lovely device. Why are DAP manufacturers making it so hard for me? 😂 Like Shanling with being unspecific with the M1S already has me looking at the Sony really long and hard...

EDIT: will probably wait for a case (or at least a glass screen protector) to be available in Germany before ordering as well
You're welcome,
It's a great device, if it's working 100%, but having a capped one I can't recommend going that route. Even the noncapped one doest drive HD series properly, just not enough juice. It really can't even drive my mieze classics 99 properly. I mean it's listenable but they sound better with more juice.

I do think this bass problem can be fixed at the firmware level, Sony could be working on it now for all we know. Just saying if you get a bass gimped one it's not going to do your 599's any favors. It would be nice to hear Sony is aware and will remedy the problem.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,508 of 4,137
You're welcome,
It's a great device, if it's working 100%, but having a capped one I can't recommend going that route. Even the noncapped one doest drive HD series properly, just not enough juice. It really can't even drive my mieze classics 99 properly. I mean it's listenable but they sound better with more juice.

I do think this bass problem can be fixed at the firmware level, Sony could be working on it now for all we know. Just saying if you get a bass gimped one it's not going to do your 599's any favors. It would be nice to hear Sony is aware and will remedy the problem.
Oh, I fully agree. Sony reacting in any way (other than that one small remark that the issue is being forwarded), would be much appreciated. I feel kinda bad for everyone who is stuck with that issue right now. That just shouldn't have happened! Especially not to a company as big and as experienced as Sony...
On the subject of not enough power: that is exactly what I thought. I have the Shanling M1 set to 60 when listening to my 599s (on Low Gain. Specs say the M1 does 35mW@32Ohm). I normally listen to music on rather moderate levels, which is why I am fine driving them even on my Pixel 4a. Funnily enough my Pixel seems uncapped though even though it is an EU Model xD

If I get the Sony though, I would probably buy a Fiio KA3 later down the line. That should give me enough power then I hope

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #1,509 of 4,137

Interesting ! It works like a charm with my TempoTec BHD. They definitely sounds louder now, and the tuning is more on the TempoTec side, feels like listening to a DX170 ( both using dual CS43131). I have balance output now ! :beyersmile:

PXL_20230228_07082.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #1,510 of 4,137
Interesting ! It works like a charm with my TempoTec BHD. They definitely sounds louder now, and the tuning is more on the TempoTec side, feels like listening to a DX170 ( both using dual CS43131). I have balance output now ! :beyersmile:

PXL_20230228_07082.jpg
Is that a good thing? The DX170 costs the exact same money here. I was considering it and the Shanling M3U (even though more expensive), but the battery life and prospect of two years of android updates on Sony pulled me away from that idea. Maybe I should reconsider, huh?

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,511 of 4,137
Is that a good thing? The DX170 costs the exact same money here. I was considering it and the Shanling M3U (even though more expensive), but the battery life and prospect of two years of android updates on Sony pulled me away from that idea. Maybe I should reconsider, huh?

I like Sony's tuning more and the size of A306 is prefect to me without any attachment. A306's SQ is amazing, better than ZX300 and ZX505 imo. Streaming SQ is also great as well, especially when DSEE is on. I might use a usb dac someday if I get bored with its sound, but I don't see any needs now. Compared to DX170, you won't miss a lot of details from A306, and it delivers better highs than DX170. Anyway, the only concern should be the QC for A306.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #1,512 of 4,137
I like Sony's tuning more and the size of A306 is prefect to me without anything attachment. A306's SQ is amazing, better than ZX300 and ZX505 imo. Streaming SQ is also great as well, especially when DSEE is on. I might use a usb dac someday if I get bored with its sound, but I don't see any needs now. Compared to DX170, you won't miss a lot of details from A306, and it delivers better highs than DX170. Anyway, the only concern should be the QC for A306.
That is great to hear! If only the bass issue wouldn't exist, I would pull the trigger right now!

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #1,513 of 4,137
That is great to hear! If only the bass issue wouldn't exist, I would pull the trigger right now!
I've owned the DX170 and M3U.
A306 sounds just as good or better and in a much nicer size package.
No going back for me, I'm delighted with it.

Buy from somewhere you can return safely or wait for a clear resolution to the current bass issue.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,514 of 4,137
I've owned the DX170 and M3U.
A306 sounds just as good or better and in a much nicer size package.
No going back for me, I'm delighted with it.

Buy from somewhere you can return safely or wait for a clear resolution to the current bass issue.
Thanks for the input! Really craving for an upgrade over my M1 and all the good things make me feel like it is a good choice :)
Will definitely buy from somewhere where I can easily return, if I have Bass issues! Should be plenty of options here in Germany

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,515 of 4,137
Will definitely buy from somewhere where I can easily return, if I have Bass issues! Should be plenty of options here in Germany
However, do not forget that if buy from any official retailer in Germany, you will have the EU crippled/capped unit.
If I were you, I would wait till the Sony resolution how to remedy the bass issues. If they release a SW update for example, I would buy this DAP in Japan where they are not capped.
However if Sony were not willing to fix this bass issue, I would buy NW-ZX707 or NW-WM1A M2 again in Japan (i.e. uncapped).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back