New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #586 of 4,162
What would I need to do same tests as you ? Not got into this level before.
I use Logic Pro which has a sweep generator and frequency spectrum analysis.

You'd need an audio interface with line in for recording so you can plugin your DAP and record it doing a frequency sweep (you can use the one from youtube) - use a frequency spectrum analysis tool to show you the response as you are playing the sweep - it should be near flat

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #587 of 4,162

You'd need an audio interface with line in for recording so you can plugin your DAP and record it doing a frequency sweep (you can use the one from youtube) - use a frequency spectrum analysis tool to show you the response as you are playing the sweep - it should be near flat

I'll get my coat now :confused:

Will leave for others to duplicate/confirm your testing :smile:

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #588 of 4,162

Isn't this guys testing showing different to your measurements, or different thing being measured ?

1676198252804.png

7 minute mark

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #589 of 4,162
Isn't this guys testing showing different to your measurements, or different thing being measured ?

~7 minute mark

Yup - I’m glad you showed me this. Will take this also to Sony to show them - his measurement shows correct as expected. Mine shows something deeply wrong with my player but I was able to use a control DAP (wm1am2) to ensure that my measuring parameters were correct and the source of problem is indeed my a306

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #594 of 4,162
That is so wonderful to hear and thank you so much for the confirmation info that there is the USB DAC feature! That means the ZX707 does have it as well. I do have another inquiry if you don't mind. For the old A55, ZX300, and WM1A when using the USB DAC function, it has a 1 second video delay when using the USB DAC function while watching youtube videos or any video for that matter. But I do know MrWalkman who does all the custom firmware said that it's possible to get it run flawlessly without any video and audio delay.

Thank you so much again! Sony didn't promote this feature big enough since this feature was not implemented in their previous series (A100 and ZX507).
I did the test and you are right.. it has a almost 1 sec delay when starting the video but it remains out of sync, I've tested it with this video in microsoft edge, chrome and firefox under windows 11 with the same results.. that's really a pity!, luckily I use it only to listen music, but the out of sync thing is pretty considerable..

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #596 of 4,162
Battery observation. I am traveling today so I have the A307 with me. I decided to use it via bluetooth (EAH-A800 with LDAC) and not wired. I've used it fairly solid for 5ish hours. I'm down to 58% battery. I'm playing a mix of 96 and 192/24, DSD, and 44.1/16 FLAC. If the Android battery life indicator is to be believed, it says I have just under 6.5h of juice left. I"m not topping up on my layover and just seeing what happens.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #597 of 4,162
Yup - I’m glad you showed me this. Will take this also to Sony to show them - his measurement shows correct as expected. Mine shows something deeply wrong with my player but I was able to use a control DAP (wm1am2) to ensure that my measuring parameters were correct and the source of problem is indeed my a306
As it's in the low end and another source of measurement showed it flat, my first thought was protection caps and low impedance load rolling off the bass. But your graph doesn't look like a high pass and your ADC surely has at least 5 or 10kohm input.
So unless you still have some weird DSP function that you missed on the DAP, I'd say send it back as a defective unit.

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #598 of 4,162
As it's in the low end and another source of measurement showed it flat, my first thought was protection caps and low impedance load rolling off the bass. But your graph doesn't look like a high pass and your ADC surely has at least 5 or 10kohm input.
So unless you still have some weird DSP function that you missed on the DAP, I'd say send it back as a defective unit.
Ya I heard the same super bass light result whether it was with headphones, IEMs, preamplifier inputs or ADC. Different loads different impedances, always lack of bass

Sony will investigate, I left it with them. I hope someone knowledgeable is able to debug this, otherwise I’m worried they’ll just say oh it plays music it works fine

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #599 of 4,162
Ya I heard the same super bass light result whether it was with headphones, IEMs, preamplifier inputs or ADC. Different loads different impedances, always lack of bass

Sony will investigate, I left it with them. I hope someone knowledgeable is able to debug this, otherwise I’m worried they’ll just say oh it plays music it works fine
Have you tried stereo test? There is a possibility of cross feed caused by wrong L/R being summed together and simple L R could proof it, though the sweep doesn't show otherwise. I could be wrong but this could be caused by L/R connection soldered together at the jack which might be the reason the audio become thin.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #600 of 4,162
Have you tried stereo test? There is a possibility of cross feed caused by wrong L/R being summed together and simple L R could proof it, though the sweep doesn't show otherwise. I could be wrong but this could be caused by L/R connection soldered together at the jack which might be the reason the audio become thin.
Hm I didn’t try this… I think I would have sensed something off in the mids if this were the case but they sounded coherent and normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back