New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #316 of 4,162
It appears it is a difference in the Walkman OS vs. Android here if your WM1AM2 also transmits EQ over bluetooth.
Walkman OS vs Android OS sure is the big difference. Personally, I would just use my mobile phone for LDAC bluetooth but then I'm not into tweaking EQ. Always use my Sony DAP's in direct and wired.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #317 of 4,162
Walkman OS vs Android OS sure is the big difference. Personally, I would just use my mobile phone for LDAC bluetooth but then I'm not into tweaking EQ. Always use my Sony DAP's in direct and wired.

I have historically run wired but I've always tweaked a bit. The controls on the WM1A are pretty simple - just bass, middle, treble. Not all Sony tweaks can go over bluetooth from the A307; DC Phase Linearizer and Vinyl Processor cannot.

Playing around with the A307 EQ a bit more, it's closer to the WM1A than not even wired. Where I hear the biggest difference is mids such as toms. Both are clearly variations of the Sony sound signature I'm familiar with. The fact a DAP which is basically 1/3(ish) of the price the WM1A originally sold for can get close is a pretty big leap in tech in a few years.

The WM1A app on Walkman OS and the Android app are pretty close in terms of controls which is good. The bits it doesn't need are largely in the Android settings (i.e. bluetooth).

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #318 of 4,162
I have historically run wired but I've always tweaked a bit. The controls on the WM1A are pretty simple - just bass, middle, treble. Not all Sony tweaks can go over bluetooth from the A307; DC Phase Linearizer and Vinyl Processor cannot.

Playing around with the A307 EQ a bit more, it's closer to the WM1A than not even wired. Where I hear the biggest difference is mids such as toms. Both are clearly variations of the Sony sound signature I'm familiar with. The fact a DAP which is basically 1/3(ish) of the price the WM1A originally sold for can get close is a pretty big leap in tech in a few years.

The WM1A app on Walkman OS and the Android app are pretty close in terms of controls which is good. The bits it doesn't need are largely in the Android settings (i.e. bluetooth).
Will post up my opinion on A307 when it arrives vs my WM1AM2.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #319 of 4,162
Based on your post, I looked at the EQ settings of Hiby Music. It's the same EQ bands as the Walkman itself with the only difference being the amp setting. So I'd say set EQ in the Settings app from Sony and maybe boost the amp for some punch. I found it's easy to overdrive it, though.

No it's doesn't boost it unless you would maybe put every band to 100% the hiby app is a better solution and the sound stage is wider. And I like the walkman app but I'm just reflecting what I hear.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #320 of 4,162
I know how it all works but thanks for assuming I don't.

A big difference as I noted is that the EQ from the A307 is applicable across BT whereas it was not on the WM1A so you're not totally just hearing the DAC of the headphones per se. The BT signal is colored vs. the WM1A where it was not and you are purely hearing the headphones. Either way, the headphone out is meh compared to the WM1A on first blush. It's not a power issue, it's differences in sonics. The soundstage is very different. I also don't remember BT out of the WM1A being remarkable and I used wired.

For a comparison, I tried the Beoplay Portal cans with the A307 and it is not a match in any way, shape, or form wired or wireless.
I know how it all works but thanks for assuming I don't.

A big difference as I noted is that the EQ from the A307 is applicable across BT whereas it was not on the WM1A so you're not totally just hearing the DAC of the headphones per se. The BT signal is colored vs. the WM1A where it was not and you are purely hearing the headphones. Either way, the headphone out is meh compared to the WM1A on first blush. It's not a power issue, it's differences in sonics. The soundstage is very different. I also don't remember BT out of the WM1A being remarkable and I used wired.

For a comparison, I tried the Beoplay Portal cans with the A307 and it is not a match in any way, shape, or form wired or wireless.

Funny because I don't remember the wm1a soundstage to be particularly big. Through either output, not narrow but not wide. I do remember the bass being nice though.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #321 of 4,162
Funny because I don't remember the wm1a soundstage to be particularly big. Through either output, not narrow but not wide. I do remember the bass being nice though. Although we all hear things different and our iems- cans affect the sound. Dead lord I quoted myself again :) BTW the blue looks very nice!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #322 of 4,162
Funny because I don't remember the wm1a soundstage to be particularly big. Through either output, not narrow but not wide. I do remember the bass being nice though.

Sony's soundstage in my experience is always decent. Not outerspace massive, but fairly wide.

The WM1A is definitely more analog sounding than the A307 but we're splitting hairs.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #323 of 4,162
No it's doesn't boost it unless you would maybe put every band to 100% the hiby app is a better solution and the sound stage is wider. And I like the walkman app but I'm just reflecting what I hear.

I listened with the Hiby app. I didn't really hear any difference other than when I touched the amp slider. The EQ unfortunately can double because the Settings app is system wide so you would basically have to put it flat and then use Hiby based on my little test. If you add the Hiby's EQ on top of that ... it's a bit of a mess.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #325 of 4,162
I listened with the Hiby app. I didn't really hear any difference other than when I touched the amp slider. The EQ unfortunately can double because the Settings app is system wide so you would basically have to put it flat and then use Hiby based on my little test. If you add the Hiby's EQ on top of that ... it's a bit of a mess.

Yes you've got to disable walkmane eq. I might of had hiby's plug in enabled. But I didn't think so but I was very pleased. Keep in mind my US unit is gimped anyways. Before the amp boost it sounded meh.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #328 of 4,162
Also today the stupid volume wa. rning came up again and set my volume to 50. 😞
Out of curiosity, how loud do you listen to music?

I appreciate the “more” philosophy, but I’m a 80-85db max person. I’m looking to power the meze liric, meze rai penta, or timeless 7hz. All these are easy to drive. I’m just trying to understand your perspective.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #329 of 4,162
Out of curiosity, how loud do you listen to music?

I appreciate the “more” philosophy, but I’m a 80-85db max person. I’m looking to power the meze liric, meze rai penta, or timeless 7hz. All these are easy to drive. I’m just trying to understand your perspective.

Well I normally listen at 85 on the uncapped sonys. But on this I'm at 110 to 120. You might be alright on the US one. But I even consider the Japanese models to be light on power.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #330 of 4,162
The Sony Canada store and amazon.ca have it for pre-order for $479.00 CDN. Kind of silly to pay that price to get a unit that is volume crippled. I would have been game to pay that price if not for the volume crap... I mean cap. Not keen on spending that much to import from Japan and no Canadian warranty coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back