New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #32 of 4,129
There is clearly one thing I do not understand about Android Walkmans since they do not have Bluetooth receiver function anymore. If you want to stream music you still need data and to have that data while you are outside you would need your phone to act like a hotspot. Hotspot on the phone and wifi on the walkman drain more battery than 4G and Bluetooth like it was on A55.

Now the only advantage I can think of is that you can now use your wireless headphones on a walkman while streaming off your phone's hotspot while on BT receiver function you only could have used wired. But still if you have LDAC phone I don't see a reason to use LDAC headphones with the walkman.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #33 of 4,129
There is clearly one thing I do not understand about Android Walkmans since they do not have Bluetooth receiver function anymore. If you want to stream music you still need data and to have that data while you are outside you would need your phone to act like a hotspot. Hotspot on the phone and wifi on the walkman drain more battery than 4G and Bluetooth like it was on A55.

Now the only advantage I can think of is that you can now use your wireless headphones on a walkman while streaming off your phone's hotspot while on BT receiver function you only could have used wired. But still if you have LDAC phone I don't see a reason to use LDAC headphones with the walkman.
You could also download your music from the streaming service for offline listening.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 4,129
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #40 of 4,129
A well implemented 3.5 can sound equally as good as 4.4. Balanced obviously does give more power if you need it.
I guess I'm just trying to figure out where this fits. It seems to be slotted around the same group as the Hiby R5 Gen 2 (a fantastic DAP btw), the DX170, and Shanling M3 Ultra, but it has fewer features, so I'm trying to figure out what the selling points are.

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #41 of 4,129
I guess I'm just trying to figure out where this fits. It seems to be slotted around the same group as the Hiby R5 Gen 2 (a fantastic DAP btw), the DX170, and Shanling M3 Ultra, but it has fewer features, so I'm trying to figure out what the selling points are.
How is the Shanling M3 Ultra better?

The new Sony is claiming 36 hours battery life. I'm not seeing anything near that for the devices that you listed.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #43 of 4,129
I don't understand the need to put a balanced output into every entry level DAP.
mojo2 has only 3.5mm as well, and plays better than any DAP i've tried under a $1000 :D Has plenty of power too.
Balanced output offers better stereo channel separation.

Most 3.5mm ports are using a shared ground and also has more stereo crosstalk in which the electrical signals from the left channel interferes with the right channel, and the right channel also interferes with the left channel. This causes the stereo imaging to be affected.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #45 of 4,129
No audible difference? Then why does the higher end audio equipment manufacturers providing for this balanced connection? Why are so many of headfiers using balanced iems and headphone? For shiz and giggles?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back