New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jun 11, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #4,186 of 4,287
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the build quality of the NW-A306, especially the jack and the buttons. I had the NW-A105 for a while, and my biggest complaints were 1) the shaky, loose jack, and 2) the forward/pause/rewind buttons very often being unresponsive or laggy. I sent the unit for repair and this improved for a while, but soon came back.

I'm wondering if this is the same with the NW-A306? Thank you!

Jun 11, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #4,187 of 4,287
My jack is solid and the buttons are responsive. I use the Walkman app for local, and Apple Music, mainly offline. I love the sound, size, weight, and battery life. I think I'm becoming a Sony fanboy!

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #4,188 of 4,287
Quick update regarding my NW-A306:

TL&DR: Had it for about 1.5 years, use it weekly, no issues, and I love it.
  • I have the Japanese uncapped version, received on Feb 8, 2023
  • I never had the bass issue others reported and I experienced it firsthand on my cousin's Japanese version
  • It's been on about 14 round trip flights, some long (12+ hrs)
  • I removed unused/not-needed apps early on without issue
  • I always run the latest firmware
  • Only have Wi-Fi on for firmware update
  • Never use Bluetooth
    • Tried it once in my truck to see if it works, it did
  • Never installed 3rd party apps
  • About 20k files in my library, 99% FLAC, rest are MP3
  • Been using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NCDG9X9/?th=1 since day 1
  • Started with basic IEM -> https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tin-hifi-t4.24037/
    • About 40 on the volume in quiet areas, about 60 on a plane
  • Just received these, huge difference/upgrade! -> https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-supermix-4-1dd-1ba-1-planar-1-pzt.27255/
    • About 55 on the volume in quiet areas (low ohms 7.2) I think this is why I have to bring the volume up. Haven't done anything other than work, so not sure what a flight will need.
    • I just can't believe how much of an improvement these are compared to the T4
  • Used when writing documents for work, mowing the lawn on a tractor, traveling, relaxing, housework, walking
  • Battery still gives me about 15+ hours if I had to guess
    • Typically leave it in standby mode
  • Music genres: Rock, metal, electronic, ambient, alternative, doom, indie, some hip-hop

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150948.png

Screenshot 2024-06-11 150301.png

Jun 12, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #4,191 of 4,287
Hi all

It's been a while.
I have started to get a warning message of low internal space.

All my files are stored on an SD, but having looked, it says there is around 16GB of internal storage and I have around 2.8GB left.
It is saying I need 4GB

The Android folder has around 9GB, but I can't see where the other 7GB is taken, as none of the folder have much or nothing in them.

Any ideas?
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere in this mammoth thread.

Still loving the Walkman, just concerned about this space as I travel all the time.
Cheers.

Jun 12, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #4,192 of 4,287
Hi all

It's been a while.
I have started to get a warning message of low internal space.

All my files are stored on an SD, but having looked, it says there is around 16GB of internal storage and I have around 2.8GB left.
It is saying I need 4GB

The Android folder has around 9GB, but I can't see where the other 7GB is taken, as none of the folder have much or nothing in them.

Any ideas?
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere in this mammoth thread.

Still loving the Walkman, just concerned about this space as I travel all the time.
Cheers.

Some of the streaming services (particularly Amazon Music) cache streaming files in local storage that takes up a lot of space. Look in the app for a clear music cache setting. Some of the apps will let you use your sd card, again look in the particular app settings.

Jun 12, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #4,193 of 4,287
Some of the streaming services (particularly Amazon Music) cache streaming files in local storage that takes up a lot of space. Look in the app for a clear music cache setting. Some of the apps will let you use your sd card, again look in the particular app settings.
Thank you - that was indeed the issue. :sunglasses::thumbsup:

Jun 13, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #4,195 of 4,287
Hey guys, I'm considering getting a EU A306 (capped), but is the bass issue still relevant? That might be a dealbreaker for me. Thanks

There was a firmware update that corrected the bass issue. I haven't heard of any issues since.

Jun 15, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #4,197 of 4,287
I've installed Hiby Music but it does not move any further than the page Terms of use and privacy.
What shall be done for the player to start working?

The problem was in the size of the screen I assigned. There was no space to "I agree"...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #4,198 of 4,287
Is it possible to re-assign the buttons?
Can't get used to FF at the top.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #4,199 of 4,287
There is clearly one thing I do not understand about Android Walkmans since they do not have Bluetooth receiver function anymore. If you want to stream music you still need data and to have that data while you are outside you would need your phone to act like a hotspot. Hotspot on the phone and wifi on the walkman drain more battery than 4G and Bluetooth like it was on A55.

Now the only advantage I can think of is that you can now use your wireless headphones on a walkman while streaming off your phone's hotspot while on BT receiver function you only could have used wired. But still if you have LDAC phone I don't see a reason to use LDAC headphones with the walkman.
I am trying to connect the player to my phone hotspot for streaming but the NW-306 does not see it. It should be mobile data, but not wifi. Is there a fix to it?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #4,200 of 4,287
I am trying to connect the player to my phone hotspot for streaming but the NW-306 does not see it. It should be mobile data, but not wifi. Is there a fix to it?
Your Walkman should see that as wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back