New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
May 13, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #3,136 of 4,198
Greetings, would it be weird to connect this DAP to a portable amplifier(Topping NX7/FiiO A3) to give your headphones more oomph? Have anyone tried something like this?

May 13, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #3,137 of 4,198
Greetings, would it be weird to connect this DAP to a portable amplifier(Topping NX7/FiiO A3) to give your headphones more oomph? Have anyone tried something like this?
Tried with dongles, the L&P W2, and the Cayin RU6. Works well, small, extra power, provides different sound options, and has 4.4mm and 3.5mm sockets, so can use 4.4mm IEM/cables.

It's a great option, and still small, so doesn't look too unmatched, or sacrifice the small size. Pairing with a bigger amp would work, but defeats the purpose of buying the small A306, instead of a bigger, more powerful DAP, in the first place.

May 13, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #3,138 of 4,198
Of course it is a great way ... Portable amplifiers were and still audiophile's best friend 🎧🎧 .. not weird at all .. i remember days that this was the logical upgrade option for small portable players like ipods , sansa clip and of course sony walkmans .. it is a great way to enhance the sound quality of your player without sacrificing its original sound signature , gaining more power ( usually portable amps do a better job than a stand alone dap at the same price bracket) and some times gaining even a slightly better battery life .
actually that makes sense to me even more than attaching a dac amp through its usb out because in that case you get a smaller battery life and make an extra stress on the fragile yet vital usc c port that is responsible of charging and data transfer and your gains with attaching a portable Dac to the player are the same as attaching it to any mobile phone 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

May 13, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #3,139 of 4,198
My S10e music app started to behave funny and battery going downhill, a dedicated music player started to seem appealing to me again. My last music player was a 2nd gen ipod nano that died in 2012. I've checked out other DAPs and they are crazy expensive or their software are just too finicky to me, this Sony seems simple. I just want to rip my CDs to flac and transfer to it. I'm planning for the A300 to be home use mostly so I don't mind the extra bulk from the portable amp.

I'm wondering if the amp would help mitigate the capped volume or still go for the JPN version.

May 13, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #3,140 of 4,198
Hello Experts and Long Terms Walkman Users, Please let me know

This is my first Sony Walkman Product / DAP, before this I used Fiio X1 (Battery Dead Now), X5 2nd & 3rd Gen (Battery Dead Now), and Hibby R2.

My question is, Is there a file quantity @ Micro SD Card limitation in this A306 model which Sony secretly implemented...Asking this because since I got the device it is now more than 48 hours gone and I simply can't able to get a Sandisk 512GB Micro SD Card (here is the model) to hold my 386 GB Music (containing FLAC, ALAC, APE, M4A, AAC, Mp3) and show up in the player.

Even Hiby R2 can detect my entire library and play without sweat.

Before getting I thoroughly followed this tutorial video to know the product better - I understand the Micro SD card needs to be formatted in the device before use.

So what's happening?

- A306 can't see the 512GB card with its factory format condition which is Blank exFAT condition.
- Need to format the card on another Andriod Device, after that A306 can see the card, At this point, I again format the card using A306 for safe & smooth operation and we are good to go....and A306 formats the card in exFAT file system.
- Now Data Transfer begins (386 GB of Pure Music files with folder structure, No video/image/PDF/Doc Inside) - Tried both via Card Reader as well as 'File Transfer' via supplied USB Cable @ Windows 10 PC.

= This is the important bits / Actual problem, As files load up the Quantity increases - NW-A306 is not able to detect the 512GB Micro SD card anymore. If it is done via Card Reader it will not detect - simple. If the music loading process is done by connecting the player to pc via 'File Transfer' Mode when it reaches the threshold (God Knows when) A306 quietly / secretly removes the card and only shows the Internal memory @ PC.

-------

My question; Anybody experiences this or is it just me?

-------

Also like to point out that this Sony Document on Page 21 - 23 clearly mention if Micro SD Card doesn't work with this device they are not responsible at all as long as the device is ok so no warranty /repair claim.
------------

My Folder screenshots which I try to load is below

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3,141 of 4,198

This is my first Sony Walkman Product / DAP, before this I used Fiio X1 (Battery Dead Now), X5 2nd & 3rd Gen (Battery Dead Now), and Hibby R2.

My question is, Is there a file quantity @ Micro SD Card limitation in this A306 model which Sony secretly implemented...Asking this because since I got the device it is now more than 48 hours gone and I simply can't able to get a Sandisk 512GB Micro SD Card (here is the model) to hold my 386 GB Music (containing FLAC, ALAC, APE, M4A, AAC, Mp3) and show up in the player.

Before getting I thoroughly followed this tutorial video to know the product better - I understand the Micro SD card needs to be formatted in the device before use.

So what's happening?

- A306 can't see the 512GB card with its factory format condition which is Blank exFAT condition.
- Need to format the card on another Andriod Device, after that A306 can see the card, At this point, I again format the card using A306 for safe & smooth operation and we are good to go....and A306 formats the card in exFAT file system.
- Now Data Transfer begins (386 GB of Pure Music files with folder structure, No video/image/PDF/Doc Inside) - Tried both via Card Reader as well as 'File Transfer' via supplied USB Cable @ Windows 10 PC.

= This is the important bits / Actual problem, As files load up the Quantity increases - NW-A306 is not able to detect the 512GB Micro SD card anymore. If it is done via Card Reader it will not detect - simple. If the music loading process is done by connecting the player to pc via 'File Transfer' Mode when it reaches the threshold (God Knows when) A306 quietly / secretly removes the card and only shows the Internal memory @ PC.

-------

-------

Also like to point out that this Sony Document on Page 21 - 23 clearly mention if Micro SD Card doesn't work with this device they are not responsible at all as long as the device is ok so no warranty /repair claim.
------------

Capture.PNG

Just to be sure, you must put the files in a directory called "music" or the player won't see them.

May 13, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #3,142 of 4,198

So what's happening?

-------

-------

------------

I'm currently at 437GB of music files (26281 total) using a SanDisk 1TB Ultra A1 C10 (so very average, not the fastest one or anything of sort) and I've had no issues so far. Of course due to the huge amount of files in it, it takes a while to load into the system (using MediaMonkey) and when you unplug you get a "creating database" message on the Walkman that can take a couple of minutes (or way longer if you're adding this much at once).

No errors or issues with my A306 (from HK) trying to read the MicroSD card in any way.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #3,143 of 4,198

So what's happening?

-------

-------

------------

The problem is not due to card size or number of files, as this user is using a 1T card with 550GB used, and almost 29K tracks.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/some-questions-about-new-sony-daps.966832/post-17388945

- You are putting all the music into the root "music" folder on the microSD card? Sony only looks in this folder for music.
- Try a Factory Reset. This is one of the basic troubleshooting steps.
- If you put less files on the card, is there a problem? i.e. copy only 50GB and see if everything is normal
- Use the SD Card Formatter from the SD Association to format the card, and see if that helps. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
- Followed by a format on the DAP

- Try another microSD card?

- Is the current card a fake? There are tools to test for fakes: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/fake-sd-card-test.html.
- When the Hiby R2 detects the same library OK, is that using the same microSD card, or another card?
- It is also possible that a corrupt file can affect the DAP. Different DAP/OS respond differently. Some may get over the bad file, and some OS may be affected more seriously. EDIT: Some fimple OS with less error handling can "hang"

Bottom line is that you should not have any problems using a 512GB card, if all the music is in the MUSIC folder, and the microSD card is not defective.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #3,144 of 4,198
The problem is not due to card size or number of files, as this user is using a 1T card with 550GB used, and almost 29K tracks.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/some-questions-about-new-sony-daps.966832/post-17388945

- You are putting all the music into the root "music" folder on the microSD card? Sony only looks in this folder for music.
- If you put less files on the card, is there a problem? i.e. copy only 50GB and see if everything is normal
- Use the SD Card Formatter from the SD Association to format the card, and see if that helps. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

- Is the current card a fake? There are tools to test for fakes: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/fake-sd-card-test.html.
- When the Hiby R2 detects the same library OK, is that using the same microSD card, or another card?
- It is also possible that a corrupt file can affect the DAP. Different DAP/OS respond differently. Some may get over the bad file, and some OS may be affected more seriously. EDIT: Some fimple OS with less error handling can "hang"

Bottom line is that you should not have any problems using a 512GB card, if all the music is in the MUSIC folder, and the microSD card is not defective.
The Sony players can support up to 2TB microSDXC cards.

Also, update to the latest firmware, if you have not already done so.

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00171492
Sony Support
Article ID : 00171492 / Last Modified : 01/03/2023

What is the maximum storage capacity of micro SD cards for my Walkman?​

Sony Walkman devices that can use SD cards support the following standards:

• For micro SDXC cards, the Walkman supports up to 2TB.
  • For Micro SDHC cards, the Walkman supports up to 32 GB
  • For micro SDSC cards, the Walkman supports up to 2 GB.
Sony doesn't guarantee full compatibility with cards from other brands.

May 13, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #3,145 of 4,198
Just to be sure, you must put the files in a directory called "music" or the player won't see them.
I'm currently at 437GB of music files (26281 total) using a SanDisk 1TB Ultra A1 C10 (so very average, no the fastest one or anything of sort) and I've had no issues so far. Of course due to the huge amount of files in it, it takes a while to load into the system (using MediaMonkey) and when you unplug you get a "creating database" message on the Walkman that can take a couple of minutes (or way longer if you're adding this much at once).

No errors or issues with my A306 (from HK) trying to read the MicroSD card in any way.

Among all Blank Folders which A306 Create I make 'My Music' folder to load all my music files, Then Go to the WalkMan app > Settings > Folder to be imported > (+) Click Button > SD Card > Add "My Music" in the root directory of the SD Card.

Transfer some 25 -30 GB beforehand using connecting the player via 'File Transfer' and the Walkman app immediately add those music - Played them - This is the first time I know the Micro SD Card slot are alright - felt relaxed and go to bed as it is already too late - This is the first 24 hours.

Next day again add some more by batch - Like All B#### and C#### named folders so I know - When Eject from the PC, Walkman app shows the notification 'Updating Database' - And all music are instantly available for playback. This is the time when 'Files' App by Google shows the Micro SD card mounted as well as Notification Area, Now my confidence is up now I start selecting more and more folder and copy, This will take time - So got busy, Once I'm back at the desk now I find the player is only showing it's internal storage. Just like below - The Card is inside but nothing on in the notification area or found anything Files App. Posting this pic so this is all I have in my player.

Screenshot_20230513-163345.png

- It is also possible that a corrupt file can affect the DAP. Different DAP/OS respond differently. Some may get over the bad file, and some OS may be affected more seriously.

- I put all music in a folder named 'My Music' and Walkman App can able to detect/play as long as the micro SD Card is detected by the player / Files by Google App - How, Method mentioned above
- I did the complete factory rest and put the player back at Out-of-the-box condition and go through all the painful lengthy transfer processes before posting this thread here.
- If I put less music in the MicroSD Card the player is smiling back at me - Experienced shared above.
- Going To Do 'SD Card Formatter' - Last I use this thing for Raspberry Pi before balena etcher came out.
- I format my 512GB SD Card @ A306 before the journey, at least now 4 times I think now.

- I have smaller size card of the same company from the same source which is Amazon

IMG_20230513_172911.jpg

- Don't know if it is fake, but Going to test it with the tool - Thank You, though No problem with Fiio X5 Gen 2 and Hiby R2

- I have two 512 GB Card loaded with the same Music Libray - One is Hiby R2 and One For Fiio X5 Gen 2, I remove Hiby R2's Card and offload the whole library to my Home PC format there via Win 10 PC and install it at A306 > It didn't detect > Remove the Card put it on Samsung tablet > It detected > Format there > Install back to A306 > Now it detected > For smooth process again format @ A306 (as YouTube Video Tutorial says) > Now start transferring files @ A306 > Once it reach the unknown threshold @ A306 it didn't detect....at any point of time All my device incl Hiby R2, Fiio X5 Gen 2, Samsung Tab, Win 10 PC able to detect files and play the music files flawlessly without showing any error msg.

- If I need to use this card again, I need to format it with an Andriod Device before A306 recognizes it and then I reformat at A306, Simple exFAT format by Windows 10 won't go with A306. So corrupted by other OS and thus malfunctioning is out of the question.

- All those cards in the above picture contain the same Music Files smaller in size My current library - A306 only detect 128GB because it is from the Fiio X5 3rd Gen (Now Dead)

Anyhow I will post back the result if the Micro SD Card is fake or not If I am able to test it.

Thank You.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #3,146 of 4,198
The Sony players can support up to 2TB microSDXC cards.

Also, update to the latest firmware, if you have not already done so.

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00171492
Sony Support
Article ID : 00171492 / Last Modified : 01/03/2023

What is the maximum storage capacity of micro SD cards for my Walkman?​

Sony Walkman devices that can use SD cards support the following standards:

• For micro SDXC cards, the Walkman supports up to 2TB.
  • For Micro SDHC cards, the Walkman supports up to 32 GB
  • For micro SDSC cards, the Walkman supports up to 2 GB.
Sony doesn't guarantee full compatibility with cards from other brands.

Yes - I update to Build number 1.01.04 which I think sorts out the bass issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513-180707.png
    Screenshot_20230513-180707.png
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230513-180818.png
    Screenshot_20230513-180818.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
May 13, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #3,147 of 4,198
Among all Blank Folders which A306 Create I make 'My Music' folder to load all my music files, Then Go to the WalkMan app > Settings > Folder to be imported > (+) Click Button > SD Card > Add "My Music" in the root directory of the SD Card.

Transfer some 25 -30 GB beforehand using connecting the player via 'File Transfer' and the Walkman app immediately add those music - Played them - This is the first time I know the Micro SD Card slot are alright - felt relaxed and go to bed as it is already too late - This is the first 24 hours.

Next day again add some more by batch - Like All B#### and C#### named folders so I know - When Eject from the PC, Walkman app shows the notification 'Updating Database' - And all music are instantly available for playback. This is the time when 'Files' App by Google shows the Micro SD card mounted as well as Notification Area, Now my confidence is up now I start selecting more and more folder and copy, This will take time - So got busy, Once I'm back at the desk now I find the player is only showing it's internal storage. Just like below - The Card is inside but nothing on in the notification area or found anything Files App. Posting this pic so this is all I have in my player.

- I put all music in a folder named 'My Music' and Walkman App can able to detect/play as long as the micro SD Card is detected by the player / Files by Google App - How, Method mentioned above
- I did the complete factory rest and put the player back at Out-of-the-box condition and go through all the painful lengthy transfer processes before posting this thread here.
- If I put less music in the MicroSD Card the player is smiling back at me - Experienced shared above.
- Going To Do 'SD Card Formatter' - Last I use this thing for Raspberry Pi before balena etcher came out.
- I format my 512GB SD Card @ A306 before the journey, at least now 4 times I think now.

- I have smaller size card of the same company from the same source which is Amazon

- Don't know if it is fake, but Going to test it with the tool - Thank You, though No problem with Fiio X5 Gen 2 and Hiby R2

- I have two 512 GB Card loaded with the same Music Libray - One is Hiby R2 and One For Fiio X5 Gen 2, I remove Hiby R2's Card and offload the whole library to my Home PC format there via Win 10 PC and install it at A306 > It didn't detect > Remove the Card put it on Samsung tablet > It detected > Format there > Install back to A306 > Now it detected > For smooth process again format @ A306 (as YouTube Video Tutorial says) > Now start transferring files @ A306 > Once it reach the unknown threshold @ A306 it didn't detect....at any point of time All my device incl Hiby R2, Fiio X5 Gen 2, Samsung Tab, Win 10 PC able to detect files and play the music files flawlessly without showing any error msg.

- If I need to use this card again, I need to format it with an Andriod Device before A306 recognizes it and then I reformat at A306, Simple exFAT format by Windows 10 won't go with A306. So corrupted by other OS and thus malfunctioning is out of the question.

- All those cards in the above picture contain the same Music Files smaller in size My current library - A306 only detect 128GB because it is from the Fiio X5 3rd Gen (Now Dead)

Anyhow I will post back the result if the Micro SD Card is fake or not If I am able to test it.

Thank You.

I haven't used the import function, but are you sure it isn't copying the files to the "music" directory and leaving the originals. This would cut the usable storage space in half.

May 13, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #3,148 of 4,198
I haven't used the import function, but are you sure it isn't copying the files to the "music" directory and leaving the originals. This would cut the usable storage space in half.

To my understanding, the import function is nothing but the command for the Walkman App to look at another folder of your choice/name and build the database. In this process, Walkman app will look for the Default music folder too of the mSD card and found nothing there, but immediately populated its database with Music from 'My Music' folder which sits just right next to it, As many times for my case as long as I didn't cross the threshold, once I crossed, forget Walkman Music App - The Player itself did not able to see the card - There is nothing inside the 'Files' App only Internal Storage 16/17 GB available / displayed. As installed UAPP is also not able to see any mSD Card.

One update - Used SD Card Formatter, Wipeout 512GB Card via this software, it formats the card exFAT system, and Installed the back to A306, As usual, This is not good enough for A306 to detect, Hiby R2 can show the card, same for Fiio X5 Gen 2.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #3,149 of 4,198
To my understanding, the import function is nothing but the command for the Walkman App to look at another folder of your choice/name and build the database. In this process, Walkman app will look for the Default music folder too of the mSD card and found nothing there, but immediately populated its database with Music from 'My Music' folder which sits just right next to it, As many times for my case as long as I didn't cross the threshold, once I crossed, forget Walkman Music App - The Player itself did not able to see the card - There is nothing inside the 'Files' App only Internal Storage 16/17 GB available / displayed. As installed UAPP is also not able to see any mSD Card.

One update - Used SD Card Formatter, Wipeout 512GB Card via this software, it formats the card exFAT system, and Installed the back to A306, As usual, This is not good enough for A306 to detect, Hiby R2 can show the card, same for Fiio X5 Gen 2.
I have a better understanding of what your process is now. And I believe you are creating the problem by the way you are deviating from Sony's music file structure.

Sony music file structure:
- All music is in the "music" folder. Inside this folder, multiple levels of sub folders are OK. So there is only one rule to follow. PUT ALL THE MUSIC IN THE "music" folder. This folder is in the root of the card.
- The "music" folder will be created when the microSD card is formatted in the Sony DAP. Or can manually add a "music" folder to the microSD card.
- Every time the DAP restarts, it will check the "music" folder. In your situation, you have nothing in the "music" folder.
- Why does the DAP not recognize the card? Is it the Sony Music player app not recognizing a microSD card? If so, it could be due to you defeating the logic it was built around, looking for music in the "music" folder, as has been clearly stated in the manual. If it is the Android Storage not seeing the card, then that would be a bug.
- Why did the previous IMPORT of music from "my music" folder not stick? Probably a bug. Maybe because it expected to always find a normal directory of music from the "music" folder, and it did not find anything. To test this, put some music into the "music" folder, do your import, and see if this makes the files system respond more normally.

Things to try:
- Put some music into the "music" folder. Do not Import any from another folder. Check the result
- Put some music into the "music" folder. Import music from another folder. Check the result.
- Put the microSD card into a card reader, and on a PC, either move all the music from the "my music" folder to the "music" folder, or change the name of the folder to "music". Try it. THIS IS HOW WE ALL USE THE "MUSIC" FOLDER, with no problems, so I would expect that you would have no problems also, if you use it this way.

A basic question is why you are using a different folder than "music", and then doing the additional step of Importing from the other, non-standard folder?

Unless there is some reason for not using the "music" folder, that creating sub folders within the "music" folder does not resolve, I would recommend that you make things simple, and put ALL your music in the "music" folder.
- everything should work normally
- no need to do an extra import step
EDIT: This microSD card will work fine in other DAPS, like Hiby, Cayin, Hidizs, etc. They will find the music in the "music" folder.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #3,150 of 4,198
I have a better understanding of what your process is now. And I believe you are creating the problem by the way you are deviating from Sony's music file structure.

Sony music file structure:
- All music is in the "music" folder. Inside this folder, multiple levels of sub folders are OK. So there is only one rule to follow. PUT ALL THE MUSIC IN THE "music" folder. This folder is in the root of the card.
- The "music" folder will be created when the microSD card is formatted in the Sony DAP. Or can manually add a "music" folder to the microSD card.
- Every time the DAP restarts, it will check the "music" folder. In your situation, you have nothing in the "music" folder.
- Why does the DAP not recognize the card? Is it the Sony Music player app not recognizing a microSD card? If so, it could be due to you defeating the logic it was built around, looking for music in the "music" folder, as has been clearly stated in the manual. If it is the Android Storage not seeing the card, then that would be a bug.
- Why did the previous IMPORT of music from "my music" folder not stick? Probably a bug. Maybe because it expected to always find a normal directory of music from the "music" folder, and it did not find anything. To test this, put some music into the "music" folder, do your import, and see if this makes the files system respond more normally.

Things to try:
- Put some music into the "music" folder. Do not Import any from another folder. Check the result
- Put some music into the "music" folder. Import music from another folder. Check the result.
- Put the microSD card into a card reader, and on a PC, either move all the music from the "my music" folder to the "music" folder, or change the name of the folder to "music". Try it. THIS IS HOW WE ALL USE THE "MUSIC" FOLDER, with no problems, so I would expect that you would have no problems also, if you use it this way.

A basic question is why you are using a different folder than "music", and then doing the additional step of Importing from the other, non-standard folder?

Unless there is some reason for not using the "music" folder, that creating sub folders within the "music" folder does not resolve, I would recommend that you make things simple, and put ALL your music in the "music" folder.
- everything should work normally
- no need to do an extra import step
EDIT: This microSD card will work fine in other DAPS, like Hiby, Cayin, Hidizs, etc. They will find the music in the "music" folder.
As to why importing X number of files would cause a problem, I can only speculate.
- Sony OS only allocated a small number of bits to store the imported file structure. They expected that this number would be small, as ALL the music is expected to be in the "music" directory, and they did not foresee that any user would do the reverse, and put all the music somewhere else, and then 100% depend on the Import function....
- If the above is the case, then results would be unpredictable, due to buffer overrun, uninitialized variables, unexpected error conditions, etc., etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back