New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 24, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2,506 of 4,139
..and I have a capped version (no bass issue) and I am still very happy with the stock sound! I can only imagine how much more I would love a non-capped version lol a bit jealous of those that have one but I just did not want to deal with importing to the US.
If the capped version is loud enough for your IEM's your maybe missing nothing.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #2,507 of 4,139
That sounds fishy, this is an official Sony repair center? How are you supposed to know if they even changed it. In my experience working with electronic repairs, it's easier and more efficient to send a new unit. Go up the chain and point out all the frequency graphs showing -10 db or yours specifically if you graphed it. Of course a new unit might have the problem too.

This isn't going to be region specific, I'm sure lots of repair centers are going to act the same, if someone tries to send one for repair. I talked to accessory jack and they said they'd send out new units from the distributor if it turned out to be hardware.

It seems to be software anyways, and that 'tech' seems clueless. Yes it sucks, but at this point in time. Well even if they sent a new unit, unless they Graphed it you might end up with the same thing.
I think the issue is that in order to address the problem, they would first have to acknowledge it, which they really don't want to do. I've just been left in the dark by support, whenever I ask for an update I just get a copy and paste email saying that it's been forwarded to the engineers, it's been weeks!

It wouldn't surprise me if they only tested it against one or two, and having initially got a second device I managed to get both with the issue, so it's frequent enough for that to occur.

If the Steam deck wasn't sold out on the steam website, I'd have returned mine by now and brought that. The Walkman was meant to be a gift and the person who bought it for me is feeling really awful about the whole thing, it's just been sat in a box.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #2,508 of 4,139
Just got a call from Sony HK repair regarding my bassless A306. The technician still insisted that he can't found anything wrong with my Walkman, stating that it sound exactly the same as the other ones he has access to.

He did offer to replace the whole motherboard as a kind of "preventative maintenance"(His exact word), which will be done in another week. I am a bit concerned about that, as at this point it's simply another lucky draw on whether I will get another faulty one. The guy refused to promise another replacement in that case and said that there will be no more replacement unless there is clearly an issue that they can identify.

So, for you guys who imported from HK and were hoping to see if you can send yours to repair - good luck but my personal experience with the repair service hasn't been good.
This is really interesting 🤔

In terms of sending things for repair and the company saying it all works fine. I had a similar experience with Asus and a ZenFone 9 phone. I bought the UK version, and sent it back for repair. I provided a video with the issue and they said that they couldn't replicate the issue but as a gesture of good will they would repair the motherboard and guess what? That solved the issue!! Plenty of people had the same issue and several firmware updates were released and NONE solved the issue. For the phone it was easy to see because the IMEI and MAC addresses changed. So, given that the Walkman is an Android device , maybe you can write down the Mac addresses (Bluetooth/WiFi) and then compare against the "repaired version". If it's an authorised Sony repair centre it should all be ok. They're "embedded" to the motherboard so if that is actually changed then MAC addresses should (in theory) change with it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,509 of 4,139
I think the issue is that in order to address the problem, they would first have to acknowledge it, which they really don't want to do. I've just been left in the dark by support, whenever I ask for an update I just get a copy and paste email saying that it's been forwarded to the engineers, it's been weeks!

It wouldn't surprise me if they only tested it against one or two, and having initially got a second device I managed to get both with the issue, so it's frequent enough for that to occur.

If the Steam deck wasn't sold out on the steam website, I'd have returned mine by now and brought that. The Walkman was meant to be a gift and the person who bought it for me is
feeling really awful about the whole thing, it's just been sat in a box.

Absolutely a 'tech' anymore isn't really a tech in most cases. They're certainly not going to analyze frequency response if the unit's working. Maybe do a reset or such and call it a day. Or if you bug support enough you might get sent a new unit. I doubt if they publicly acknowledge the problem at all, despite them probably addressing it in a firmware update. Then there's always the chance the new one still has the issue.

I can tell you though, steam deck is amazing. 😀 well worth the cash, was just playing hogwarts legacy on mine.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,510 of 4,139
Hi gh0sty - I bought my A306 from a Japanese eBay seller. And, after looking at your flowchart, I'm feeling a little sheepish - when I set up my Japanese A306 I don't recall seeing language selection. I suffered through initial setup (no wifi, no sign- in, but I set a PIN) using Google Translate on my phone for Japanese. Once at the home screen, only then did I change language to English from settings. Build 1.00.12. I don't have bass issue, though not verified with REW.
Do you have time to check with REW or rather are you interested in checking?

That's part of the drama. Not only the tax and import fees but also the challenges of explaining what the issue is and having that understood correctly or even acknowledged.

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,511 of 4,139
Absolutely a 'tech' anymore isn't really a tech in most cases. They're certainly not going to analyze frequency response if the unit's working. Maybe do a reset or such and call it a day. Or if you bug support enough you might get sent a new unit. I doubt if they publicly acknowledge the problem at all, despite them probably addressing it in a firmware update. Then there's always the chance the new one still has the issue.

I can tell you though, steam deck is amazing. 😀 well worth the cash, was just playing hogwarts legacy on mine.
I think the most they can do is to play different songs and ask their colleagues (if they do ask) how does it sound to you? Did you like it? if the "tech" person's colleague says yes to both question then it works just fine 🥲 send back to customer saying it's all just fine

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #2,512 of 4,139
Lol well you know computer techs these days are just CSR reading off flow charts. But yes most of these people aren't going to put too much effort into 'fixing' items. We did swaps for radio/avionics way back when I was in the service. Of course the pcb boards back then were modular and easy to change. If you had a problem the tech would bring you a new unit and then eventually salvage the old one.

That's exactly what I would expect Sony to do. I can't even see some of these places replacing a battery, although I could be wrong. It would be a wee bit of work to replace the mother board, I honestly don't see them doing that. Of course I could be wrong....

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,513 of 4,139
Lol well you know computer techs these days are just CSR reading off flow charts. But yes most of these people aren't going to put too much effort into 'fixing' items. We did swaps for radio/avionics way back when I was in the service. Of course the pcb boards back then were modular and easy to change. If you had a problem the tech would bring you a new unit and then eventually salvage the old one.

That's exactly what I would expect Sony to do. I can't even see some of these places replacing a battery, although I could be wrong. It would be a wee bit of work to replace the mother board, I honestly don't see them doing that. Of course I could be wrong....
I have seen it with Asus (different kind of device but similar issue). The phone's motherboard was replaced by the repair centre even though they saw that it was "all fine". I guess that they did because it was easier than having me whining about things not working and sending the phone back over and over again

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,514 of 4,139
I have seen it with Asus (different kind of device but similar issue). The phone's motherboard was replaced by the repair centre even though they saw that it was "all fine". I guess that they did because it was easier than having me whining about things not working and sending the phone back over and over again

So none of the other phones were fixed? Surely someone would have started a class action suit against them.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #2,515 of 4,139
Get one as its meant to be with no cap and flat response and its a fabulous small DAP.

It really sounds great with all my IEM's.

Such a pity as UK/US Amazon already filling up with negatives about low volumes and lack of bass.

I feel so lucky to have a good working one. Its all round best DAP I've had, not best sound compared to high end but not far off for easy to drive IEM's.

I'd say there is some burn-in too as my SE846 revealed background hiss when my A307 was new but now nothing, silent background (using 3.5mm 4-pole balanced adapter)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #2,518 of 4,139
You are probably right. Only when it’s a low quality audio track that needs the extra volume is when I wish I had non capped. With those songs I am close to max volume. But happy overall!
It is nice to only need 55/120 with my SE846's, loads of headroom. Actually painfull to listen above 75/120 with them!

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,519 of 4,139
Do you have time to check with REW or rather are you interested in checking?

That's part of the drama. Not only the tax and import fees but also the challenges of explaining what the issue is and having that understood correctly or even acknowledged.
Hi gh0sty - At this point, I'm inclined to leave my device in its known, working state, so perhaps I could use a sweep file out of the 3.5 mm output. But, -10 dB drop at 250 Hz on down is noticeable - I've A/B compared with known tracks enough to know - understandably, that's not objective. Still, if I can get REW working on a windows computer, I'll post the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back