New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #181 of 4,198
In my days of working with avionics, I remember there were 2 types of potentiometers for volume control. One for linear and one for logarithmic. Linear goes in exact steps up the power curve and logarithmic scales up the power more in the higher volume ranges. And of course there's digital volume control which is usually set logarithmically. Which is on a curve not a flat line like linear.

To really tell the output, you'd have to test both at 100% volume. I don't get mine till next week but I can check the output voltage at 100% and see if it's 35 or 16 mw @ 16 ohms. Not saying they do have different volume scales, but it is a possibility. This is just for my own curiosity as the customer care people I talked to have no idea what the max output is and told me to check in the manual when I get it lol.
I'm my case it really doesn't matter unless the Sony output sounds better than my dongle. I just want small android with micro sd slot.

And if it is true there's going to be alot of disappointed (even normies) because even the 'uncapped' version barely does it for people who like to listen very loud. For instance on my a105 I occasionally would have to push it over 100 on a very soft recording. Like my original (non remastered) Queen News of the world. So if they cut the output in half, with my gear I couldn't get it loud enough to really enjoy it.

As far as hearing loss, well I've already got that lol.

Edit: I also remembered Sony talking about 4 poles on the 3.5 receptacle and a balanced out was possible with a special 4 pole 3.5 plug. I guess for dual grounds and not a power increase. So I don't see any benefit of using a 4 pole 3.5 plug. Maybe a smidge less distortion and less crosstalk? Might help with sensitive iems, but Sonys usually have a nice stage already and good imaging.

Actually now the UK page has the same gibberish specs for the output. Unless they just stated it as 16ohm/mw. hmm I was going to keep it but if it's true I'll send it back just for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #182 of 4,198
Apart from my mistake that could cost me an extra £20, it seem good. Online chat was very good to and they are trying to find me best solution.

If you want to see the stock on Amazon.co.jp just put location as postcode 100-0000 and see what really is in stock & prices.

Downside compared to being able to by from Amazon direct before is that you end up paying Japanese taxes and UK duty/VAT all in the price quoted too, so will be more expensive, but still cheaper than ebay by the looks of it.
Replying to my own post, buyee stopped the delivery and refunded the delivery cost on the one parcel, corrected the invoice and I can now set consolidate then send as the one package. So, just ended up delaying shipping by a couple day as they now have to get both together and assess delivery cost as a larger, slightly heavier parcel before I can select delivery option again.

Good service up to now.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #183 of 4,198
Replying to my own post, buyee stopped the delivery and refunded the delivery cost on the one parcel, corrected the invoice and I can now set consolidate then send as the one package. So, just ended up delaying shipping by a couple day as they now have to get both together and assess delivery cost as a larger, slightly heavier parcel before I can select delivery option again.

Good service up to now.
Can give a brief info on how to order and deliver?

Go to buyee.jp then what do I do next? Go to Rakuten? I cannot find Amazon

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #184 of 4,198

Good service up to now.
Please do keep us posted, 'scuse the pun 🙃

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #185 of 4,198

I bought the ZX707 from Rakuten via https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en and I found it way easier to use than buyee.

Make sure you pay in JPY instead of using their conversion rate.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #186 of 4,198

I think I used Chrome as it can have the buyee add-in.

Once browsed to Amazon.co.jp and showing price & stock by selecting a Japanese postcode for deliver (100-0000) you can click add to basket with the buyee add-in, then it shows in the buyee basket and you can progress from there.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #187 of 4,198
Thank you all

Will take a look once review is out
I’m still not sure which to get

Thinking of A307 as it’s small and cute
And I usually use Z5 earphones on 3.5mm while commuting. Z1R for home usage

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #189 of 4,198

Good service up to now.
yep great news i have used them a few times and they are a great service, hopefully it slips through customs

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #190 of 4,198
I wonder if I ordered one off Amazon Japan if I could get one shipped directly to the US. from Amazonjp?Depending on shipping costs it could be cheaper than getting one here. According to the one grey one it would be like 317 dollars US. I paid 380.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #193 of 4,198
It's crazy the stuff you read on reddit. User said his EU a105 was volume limited at first but the 3rd firmware upgrade fixed it. I've never heard of Sony doing that.

Feb 2, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #194 of 4,198
It's crazy the stuff you read on reddit. User said his EU a105 was volume limited at first but the 3rd firmware upgrade fixed it. I've never heard of Sony doing that.
Some people said that but I and others didn't notice, maybe wishful thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back