New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 7, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #1,711 of 4,129
Hm still no firmware update, no Sony feedback or any patterns - the a306 is back in stock again today so I might give it another try...
Seems like the problem is fixed with my new a306. Bass is tight and plentiful - I will measure later. I still hear an annoying loud click out of the headphones randomly when I change app or YouTube

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #1,714 of 4,129
Hm still no firmware update, no Sony feedback or any patterns - the a306 is back in stock again today so I might give it another try...

I expect to hear something in the next few days from my Sony contact (mid-week was the word used). I would suggest waiting to see what we find out.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,715 of 4,129
I expect to hear something in the next few days from my Sony contact (mid-week was the word used). I would suggest waiting to see what we find out.
I tested it at the Sony store, they were happy to open one up and let me do it there which is nice - this one sounds good - apart from the random amp clicking sounds that poke me in the ears.

I'm on about 90 volume with most tracks for good level listening with Sony IERM7 (it's uncapped). Also using a 3.5mm trrs plug with them and first impressions are good - it's almost direct and reference like more so than ZX507.. but I have to compare both side by side more. Seems like a likeable sound signature - don't think I can say it's bright really, just a touch mids focused.

It's a surprisingly similar sound quality to it's more expensive siblings. I'd say if you're driving just IEMs, you might not need much more than this. In some ways it's a more direct s-master chip sound as the lower volume allows for less op amp/power regulation in between. I have a feeling it'll sound even better out of the usb dac with Sony's hires music app on pc

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #1,716 of 4,129
Seems like the problem is fixed with my new a306. Bass is tight and plentiful - I will measure later. I still hear an annoying loud click out of the headphones randomly when I change app or YouTube
Great news now enjoy your Sony its a great sounding player ..the problem players are so random though

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #1,717 of 4,129
That’s because the other apps have to go through the android os mixer - this inadvertently lowers sound levels so it can provide headroom for os mixed sounds. It’s a bit crazy the Sony still doesn’t know how to provide a direct audio path for all apps when chifi daps all can do that now
UAPP developer manages it.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #1,719 of 4,129
I tested it at the Sony store, they were happy to open one up and let me do it there which is nice - this one sounds good - apart from the random amp clicking sounds that poke me in the ears.

I'm on about 90 volume with most tracks for good level listening with Sony IERM7 (it's uncapped). Also using a 3.5mm trrs plug with them and first impressions are good - it's almost direct and reference like more so than ZX507.. but I have to compare both side by side more. Seems like a likeable sound signature - don't think I can say it's bright really, just a touch mids focused.

It's a surprisingly similar sound quality to it's more expensive siblings. I'd say if you're driving just IEMs, you might not need much more than this. In some ways it's a more direct s-master chip sound as the lower volume allows for less op amp/power regulation in between. I have a feeling it'll sound even better out of the usb dac with Sony's hires music app on pc
I get no clicking. Explain what you do and I will try it now with mine & my SE846 that pick up anything normally.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #1,720 of 4,129
are sony any good for updates? should i expect many updates and for a number fo years based off past players?

Less than a handful normally from my experience and doubt it will go beyond its Android 12.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #1,721 of 4,129

With my M9's I'm usually at around 75 in Walkman App.

Its why I got rid of my WM1AM2, for me it sounds as good as the 3.5mm out of that with my 3 IEMS's.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,723 of 4,129
I get no clicking. Explain what you do and I will try it now with mine & my SE846 that pick up anything normally.

It's too random and quite rare, I will spend more time and see what happens. I noticed it with youtube playing/stopping videos and going to different apps whilst music was playing, also start stop audio in UAPP.. but it's rare and I haven't noticed it in the last hour

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,724 of 4,129
It's too random and quite rare, I will spend more time and see what happens. I noticed it with youtube playing/stopping videos and going to different apps whilst music was playing, also start stop audio in UAPP.. but it's rare and I haven't noticed it in the last hour
Isn't this one of reasons Android tries to take over audio, to stop these issues. Check if it happens when going from Walkman App to another App rather than Other App to Other App.

Could be the "switching" from Red Path (Walkman) to Blue path with other apps (exc. UAPP)

Don't use Youtube on mine, just Walkman Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, UAPP.

Think I get a click in UAPP with first MQA track, but had that with phones too.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,725 of 4,129
I just had bit of a worry - whilst playing music in UAPP, i turned on the Sony sound settings app, there was some sort of glitch and my ear drums got blasted on max volume, and the 10db cut returned.. I'm restarting now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back