New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Feb 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #61 of 244
Read the online manual and this is why. I'm on a Mac. Sony Hi-Res Audio app shows PCM as well.

http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/pha-2a

PHA-2A does playback native DSD with Signature Series 1Z Walkman.

I think I'm beginning to understand why their Signature DACs have such a nebulous presence in the US market... They're under the radar. If they actually started selling serious numbers over here, they would have to update their US devices, or be up to their eyeballs in unfair competition lawsuits. Artificial limitations are always lame, but that's egregious.

Doesn't make much difference to me... I'm like 95% Tidal these days anyway.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #62 of 244
Hey Mike.

I know this may sound like a crazy question, but which do you think sounds better, the 2A or the 1Z?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #63 of 244
That stinks.... I ordered mine last weekend and it came on Monday as promised by Amazon. It was covered under prime but was not sold by Sony but some other vendor out of Japan. Wonder if they are just out of inventory, it said there were only 2 available when I was ordering it.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #72 of 244
With the PHA-3 you can charge and listen at the same time. However:

If the PHA-3 is being used in hi res mode and you don't have the battery full enough, you'll use more than you charge and run out. 

This is one of the most annoying things about the PHA-3, other than the fact that it has no real fast charge like a smartphone, it takes hours to charge. 

I would agree with the criticism that it is barely a portable. I usually leave mine plugged in. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #73 of 244
No, it can't charge and play music at the same time, unfortunately.

That's odd since you CAN with the PHA-1A and the PHA-3. I'm a very happy 1A owner but I'm eyeing the 2A as a "home" driver for my Z7 in balance mode. The 1A is great for portable use with the Z7 and it gives me a good 8 hours of continuous play when hooked up to my portable battery pack. The fact that the 2A won't charge and play at the same time and since it's heavier and bulkier than the 1A,it would make it too much of a compromise for portable use versus the 1A.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #75 of 244

No, it can't charge and play music at the same time, unfortunately.

Actually it can charge and play music simultaneously. I have one and I'm 100% certain. It's just that it doesn't charge through the same  micro usb cable that connects to the pc for playback but it will charge while playing if you connect the charging port (separate from the "feeding" port) to a charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back