SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #7,021 of 8,639
So pretty do you have a front pic??

20210323_205350.jpg

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #7,023 of 8,639
Gorgeous, I have the W2 as well. which one do you like more?

I have very different uses for them so hard to say - I was testing sound at the weekend and I thought the W2 was better but I think it's just a bit brighter. Need more time and trying different combinations of IEMs etc. It's an amazing little device!

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #7,025 of 8,639
This new firmware has improved it's synergy with 1AM2. Treble felt more well tamed, less edgy but still sounding bright. Bass feels more controlled and gentler. Overall it has gotten alot more smoother sounding. Vocals has laser like focused imaging too.

Maybe 1AM2 profile in the headphone app does also affect how it sounds.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #7,026 of 8,639
Yes. It's a shocker for battery life. I tend listen in bed so I don't have a phone in my room at night. As a result I either have it connected to the mains or a battery.

I've been looking at building a battery case similar to the ones you get for the iPhone as a solution.
A simple solution is a small slim battery that you can stick to the bottom of the ZS507 with a sticky pad, or fasten together with a rubber band (use the the type for fastening DAPS/Portable AMPS together).
If you use one like in the example below, which has a built in USB C cable, it is a nice compact solution, and does not need an extra chunky USB cable. I have a 7000 Mah battery like this, which adds 4x the internal battery, and gives a lot of extra reserve power, for a low price/simple solution. These also work great for smaller DAPs, like the Sony NW-A105 or similar.

(This one is out of stock, but there are lots of other choices available)
https://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Portable-Compatible-5000mah-White/dp/B07DWVJ8HJ
1616577125716.png

Attachments

• 1616577067543.png
    1616577067543.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #7,027 of 8,639
Battery hasn't been an issue for me at all so far since I got it at Christmas - it charges so quickly too, especially with a fast charger. I'd guess if travelling when that sort of thing happens again, definitely handy to have a backup charger available but I suspect even then it would be rare that a plug wouldn't be available to me in a 10 hour stretch.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #7,028 of 8,639
A simple solution is a small slim battery that you can stick to the bottom of the ZS507 with a sticky pad, or fasten together with a rubber band (use the the type for fastening DAPS/Portable AMPS together).
If you use one like in the example below, which has a built in USB C cable, it is a nice compact solution, and does not need an extra chunky USB cable. I have a 7000 Mah battery like this, which adds 4x the internal battery, and gives a lot of extra reserve power, for a low price/simple solution. These also work great for smaller DAPs, like the Sony NW-A105 or similar.

(This one is out of stock, but there are lots of other choices available)
https://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Portable-Compatible-5000mah-White/dp/B07DWVJ8HJ
1616577125716.png
I have raised exact battery 😁

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #7,030 of 8,639
After listening with both IER-M9 and 1AM2 on the ZX507, I felt this time round, Sony has made quite a major change in the sound signature of the ZX507. (High res streaming On + DSEE Ultimate)

This is contrary to the changelog that this current 4.02.00 is just a simple "android security update". I don't feel that is the case.

No longer can I say that the ZX507 has a warm sound signature with focus on presenting strong subbass.

Now bass weight and slam seems much tamed down, no longer as easily excited as before. Yes, strong bass still does show up but it isn't as prominent as compared to previous firmware.

Treble energy now feels more noticable, now there's a new airy feel to the sound. Piano notes feels tonally brighter. Especially with string instruments, it sound quite different now, much more smoother and airy.

Also macrodynamic transient seems to be toned down in favor of presenting more microdynamics transients in the track. You get to hear more of the softer parts of the music track.

I felt that Sony is trying to make the music notes/transients sound less aggressive this time around. Maybe they felt that the previous firmware was too easily excited. Now they have toned it down and made the sound signature more suited for the listener to hear more of soft sounds in the music track instead of being masked away by louder transients. Though strong fast transients does show up once in a while, just that this new firmware has toned down alot.

With that I felt that now you get to hear/notice more of spacing and nuances in the soundstage like echos/sound reflections, background singers and other softer subtle elements in the performance.

In summary, I felt that this firmware has removed the fun exciting sound in the previous firmware and changed it into a more softer, more audiophile like sound signature.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #7,031 of 8,639
Yeah, I am still in testing UAPP mode, but been using Walkman app exclusively today and it most definitely sounds different to me than previous firmware (Chinese version). And I don't even use DSEE-HX; I use direct source & high res streaming <off>. My initial reaction was "huh...this almost sounds more resolving" but then I realize it was probably just a bit less bass warmth. I like it.

Battery life is so much improved using Walkman music app in this non-Chinese firmware too (compared to previous pre-v.4.x firmwares at least in my experience). I just wish Walkman app had some of UAPP's UI and navigation/playback features. I don't want to come across as such a battery life whore, but damn, ~6% battery use per hour is much easier to stomach than ~10.5 battery per hour, hahahaha.

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #7,032 of 8,639
Yeah, I am still in testing UAPP mode, but been using Walkman app exclusively today and it most definitely sounds different to me than previous firmware (Chinese version). And I don't even use DSEE-HX; I use direct source & high res streaming <off>. My initial reaction was "huh...this almost sounds more resolving" but then I realize it was probably just a bit less bass warmth. I like it.

Battery life is so much improved using Walkman music app in this non-Chinese firmware too (compared to previous pre-v.4.x firmwares at least in my experience). I just wish Walkman app had some of UAPP's UI and navigation/playback features. I don't want to come across as such a battery life whore, but damn, ~6% battery use per hour is much easier to stomach than ~10.5 battery per hour, hahahaha.

For me, one great thing about being able to use UAPP is the ability to stream bitperfect/MQA from my local server using UPNP. This was not previously possible.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #7,033 of 8,639
After listening with both IER-M9 and 1AM2 on the ZX507, I felt this time round, Sony has made quite a major change in the sound signature of the ZX507. (High res streaming On + DSEE Ultimate)

This is contrary to the changelog that this current 4.02.00 is just a simple "android security update". I don't feel that is the case.

No longer can I say that the ZX507 has a warm sound signature with focus on presenting strong subbass.

Now bass weight and slam seems much tamed down, no longer as easily excited as before. Yes, strong bass still does show up but it isn't as prominent as compared to previous firmware.

Treble energy now feels more noticable, now there's a new airy feel to the sound. Piano notes feels tonally brighter. Especially with string instruments, it sound quite different now, much more smoother and airy.

Also macrodynamic transient seems to be toned down in favor of presenting more microdynamics transients in the track. You get to hear more of the softer parts of the music track.

I felt that Sony is trying to make the music notes/transients sound less aggressive this time around. Maybe they felt that the previous firmware was too easily excited. Now they have toned it down and made the sound signature more suited for the listener to hear more of soft sounds in the music track instead of being masked away by louder transients. Though strong fast transients does show up once in a while, just that this new firmware has toned down alot.

With that I felt that now you get to hear/notice more of spacing and nuances in the soundstage like echos/sound reflections, background singers and other softer subtle elements in the performance.

In summary, I felt that this firmware has removed the fun exciting sound in the previous firmware and changed it into a more softer, more audiophile like sound signature.
I haven't upgraded yet but your description of the sound doesn't sound appealing at all and the opposite of what i'm looking for.

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #7,035 of 8,639
Yeesh, not a good session with UAPP earlier today. I queued up several albums from the same artist, pressed play and went on with doing some work. An hour later, I remove my ZX507 from a case I wear on a belt (a case I've used for months with zero over-heating issues, in case anyone wonders) to find it incredibly hot to the touch (never anything approaching this kind of heat before) and to find I had burned through 26% battery in that hour

I shut down UAPP and let the device cool down over the next 30 minutes, then switched to Walkman music app for an hour before shutting off for the day. Even that last hour used up ~9% of battery, which is about 3% more than previously experienced on thsi firmware with Walkman music app.

EDIT: not sure if relevant, but I run with wifi <Off> as I don't stream. UAPP didn't like this when I first opened the app and tried to play an album (got a message about UAPP not able to connect to network to verify license, I think). Anyway, I shut down UAPP, turned on wifi & re-opened UAPP with wifi on for a few minutes, then turned wifi off and proceeded as above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back