SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 11, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #6,301 of 15,612
Think your just used to high-end smart phone screens that are meant for perfection. Big money wasn't put into the screen of the Walkman, and no idea why anyone would use it for anything but music playback, the smartphone is better for everything else.

As I said earlier, I'm not expecting high end 120hz OLED screens here, but even low tier cheap LCD screens (like on iPhone SE) should not and don't typically show this kind of spotting over last 5 years. I've had many low tier low quality LCD screen devices over the years, non have showcased this, I thought this was not a thing anymore. Anyway, doesn't matter I will take it on the chin, as everyone says it's just a DAP - but don't forget its a 1600$ DAP made for streaming and potentially other media consumption (video concerts etc) - low colour accuracy fine, low resolution fine, low brightness ok fine, but screen spotting making it look dirty is one step too far.

Sep 11, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #6,302 of 15,612
Does anyone notice some dark patches on the screen especially on white backgrouns top of screen (probably uneven back-light related)? I'm surprised to see this - it not extreme but I haven't seen this issue on phones in a long time. I'm mulling whether to try and return it but I'm worried they will say its within "acceptable" parameters. Its difficult to unsee once seen and gives me a bad taste considering how costly it is. I thought Sony quality control was better
Yes I have a “darker” area towards the top of my screen too..not that bad but noticeable.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #6,303 of 15,612
Anyone here owned both IERM7 and IERM9? I have the 7 and wondering wether the 9 is an "upgrade" - I love it and wonder if the 9 is essentially a 7+ ie I'm hoping for more of the same tuning and qualities just a little better, wider, more dynamic and articulate.

The IERM7 sounds fantastic out of the WM1AM2 - it's a synergy made in heaven. Better than Mojos, RMEs, Apogees and all my other sources. I also noticed - as per tradition - the Campfire Andromeda sounds great out of this DAP and comes alive, much like the ZX2 on which it was originally designed and tested. Out of most of my other sources it just sounds way too warm and stuffed up - due to output impedance most likely, but there's something about the s-master chip DAPs that makes the Andromeda dance.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #6,305 of 15,612
Anyone here owned both IERM7 and IERM9? I have the 7 and wondering wether the 9 is an "upgrade" - I love it and wonder if the 9 is essentially a 7+ ie I'm hoping for more of the same tuning and qualities just a little better, wider, more dynamic and articulate.

The IERM7 sounds fantastic out of the WM1AM2 - it's a synergy made in heaven. Better than Mojos, RMEs, Apogees and all my other sources. I also noticed - as per tradition - the Campfire Andromeda sounds great out of this DAP and comes alive, much like the ZX2 on which it was originally designed and tested. Out of most of my other sources it just sounds way too warm and stuffed up - due to output impedance most likely, but there's something about the s-master chip DAPs that makes the Andromeda dance.
I too would be interested in this. The M7 is a bit of a bargain IEM, but when I demo'd it with my PHA-3 I found it a bit flat and lacking in dynamics. But the PHA-3 is totally different in its internals to the M2.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #6,306 of 15,612
Just to throw some more fuel in the fire,
I too would be interested in this. The M7 is a bit of a bargain IEM, but when I demo'd it with my PHA-3 I found it a bit flat and lacking in dynamics. But the PHA-3 is totally different in its internals to the M2.
PHA-3 Is a different animal. Unremarkable from 3.5mm but good from balanced out. I used to have it but not with the IERM7. The M7 can indeed come across as flat, but this also is it's benefit over long term, showcasing the music without much coloring. It's like a detox IEM, much like the Sennheiser HD650 - it's very correct and coherent sounding and over long term I really appreciate how it stands its ground whilst many other phones simply go out of favor with me.

It does appreciate top quality source and amplification that can provide some current, this is when it comes alive.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #6,307 of 15,612
I now have a dead/stuck white pixel which is even more difficult to unsee compared to the darkened patch on the top of the screen.. my ocd is going into overdrive haha

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #6,308 of 15,612
AFAIK the Ultima line DAPs from Astell&Kern (SP1000, SP2000, ...) have AMOLED screens

My SP1000M definitely does not have OLED, just LCD. I'm pretty sure that is true for the others as well. Some of the older A&K DAPs (AK100 II, AK120 II and AK240) did have smallish (3.3") OLED screens. No comparison to recent smartphones. My LG V30S has a much better display than any of my DAPs, no contest.

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #6,310 of 15,612
I now have a dead/stuck white pixel which is even more difficult to unsee compared to the darkened patch on the top of the screen.. my ocd is going into overdrive haha

Incredible as dead pixels are usually manufacturing defects and can be detected out of the box, not suddenly appearing. Same reason I checked for them really carefully and would have rejected them on the spot if any were found.

Wonder what other issues will crop up for your extremely unlucky set? 😓 Do you have photos? Where did you buy yours from? Perhaps the dealer can assist?

Sep 12, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #6,311 of 15,612
I hate dead/stuck pixels and none materialised yet on mine.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #6,312 of 15,612
Incredible as dead pixels are usually manufacturing defects and can be detected out of the box, not suddenly appearing. Same reason I checked for them really carefully and would have rejected them on the spot if any were found.

Wonder what other issues will crop up for your extremely unlucky set? 😓 Do you have photos? Where did you buy yours from? Perhaps the dealer can assist?

I think mine might be stuck pixel as its white and shows in certain colors only. Might even be a pressure points from something pushing behind the screen (it's on top where the sd card slot is).
It's relatively subtle it might be that I just didn't notice it at first.

I bought the DAP from a Sony store - was surprised when I got home the box has been already opened and the DAP was out of its little paper sleeve - didn't look used so it might have just been shown to others but not demoed.

Anyway it's small and subtle enough that I can roll with it I think but if things get worse I will be taking it back. If I take it back now I feel they will fight me that its within "acceptable parameters" - they even have a whole faq on sony website justifying dead pixels.. you can bet your ass if I take my iPhone back to Apple with dead pixels there won't be any justification but a swift replacement. Anyway I can't make any judgements I haven't had the experience of Sony customer support yet

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #6,313 of 15,612
Joined the club today. Looking forward to getting know to this one over the coming weeks.

35679588-11B4-48B4-9222-36BF7380A244.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back