New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #363 of 401
  I m anal so I couldn't live with it, but at 2K cost, I don't want to have to stare at those lines.
At the retail shop I have one HAP-S1 with 3 lines across the unit and it happened right after and during a firmware update.

Totally understand & agree with you. I do find it extremely annoying ! I really should have arranged to return my unit, but it's well out of 12 month warranty.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #364 of 401
ES Warranty on the HAP-Z1ES is 5 years.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #366 of 401
I've got 3 of these already on my HAP-Z1ES, and looking into it around the 'net it seems that the issue is not uncommon... Haven't done anything yet because I've just been too busy right now, and it does not impede the playback functionality. But like the post above: there is no excuse for this kind of fault in such an expensive device.

I also looked into their online service and it simply says for this:
 Unfortunately, we do not currently offer online setup of repair for ES or Projector products. To request a repair, please contact us by phone: · Consumers: (877) 619-7669
· Custom Installers: (866) 924-7669
· Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM PT

Shipping this heavy chunker is something I'd like to avoid. If I have to go the above route, I hope there will be a service center within reasonable driving distance.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #368 of 401
Seems like there are lots of firmware issues with the HAP-S1 and the Z1ES..... I'm still hesitant on upgrading. 

Does anyone know if the bricking issue has been resolved?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #370 of 401
  Seems like there are lots of firmware issues with the HAP-S1 and the Z1ES..... I'm still hesitant on upgrading. 

Does anyone know if the bricking issue has been resolved?

Thanks!

So - I was one of the 'main' guys who went through the bricking issue with my Hap-S1. My unit was taken by Sony engineering Canada so they could diagnose it etc and they just gave me a new unit straight up.

Anyways. So. I upgraded to the newest firmware a while back - after waiting a few weeks to see if there were any more issues. For the most part - all is good.

Except - earlier this week - it did exactly what it did when it bricked on me last time....

Was playing a song - and all of a sudden it paused and there was a spinning circle on the screen -and that was it. It just sat like that forever. I was like ugh..... no buttons would work etc.

I had to pull the power cord out - then back in. It booted and is working again. so....

If it had been bricked - I would have used the 'firmware rollback' that sony introduced as a failsafe for this issue... just hope I don't have to....

Otherwise - I am having an issue where randomly - no pattern - when a song is playing - it will just skip back to the beginning of that song and play it again then keep continuing through the album as normal. No one else seems to be experiencing this so whatever.... I'm still just... cautious about the device... i want to love it again....

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #371 of 401
  Rob49,

Just wondering if the DSD via USB on the STR-DH is true DSD or DoP?
I cant seem to find any info.

M

Sorry, for not replying sooner. I actually cancelled my order for the Sony STR-DN1070, because I realised upon dispatch, that it was being imported from Germany.

I still want one. It seems they are not readily available in the U.K. ( across Europe. )

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #373 of 401
Sorry if I missed this looking through other posts on this thread, but I have an HAP-S1 on the way. Somewhere in their docs or online I saw reference to something that said if you hook up a CD drive to the unit to rip CDs, that it had to be one with a power adaptor and not one that was powered via USB. Is that correct? If so, I can't even find one that is not USB powered. Suggestions? 

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #375 of 401
I use an Apple drive and I do not require a powered usb cd ripper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back