New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Apr 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #331 of 401
The ongoing joke on another site is the that the:

"Improves playback quality (HAP-S1 only)"

is because the last firmware crippled the HAP-S1's ability to play any music files on it. Period. No connections to Internet radio would even work.

So, in that sense yes, playback quality has improved :)

And the:

"Improves secure communication"

Well that is because the Hap-s1's were crippled in that they no longer were able to communicate with any internet radio, or wi-fi devices for control or playback or Gracenote servers.

Sony basically admitted to the bad previous firmware, without admitting anything. And anyone who was out of warranty and didn't want to wait 3-4 months for a working machine (They were 100% crippled) - had to actually pay for a Sony repair shop to install a working firmware on their machine before this was released OTA - and of course Sony never indicated to anyone if they were working on a fix at all. I had to wait almost 6 weeks for Sony to send me a brand new unit to replace my crippled one under warranty.

It was/is pretty messy.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #332 of 401
  The ongoing joke on another site is the that the:
"Improves playback quality (HAP-S1 only)"
"Improves secure communication"

It was/is pretty messy.

To be fair this wasn't experienced by all users, just a few lol
Mine was completely fine the day I updated even on the previous firmware. Not sure if it's my imagination but I felt it the sound was a bit livelier after the update!

You can run speaker cables directly from the UDA-1 to the sub and speakers (so basically 2 cables coming out of each channel of the UDA-1. An active sub will not be a power draw so no worries about overloading the UDA-1 or anything like that.

Awesome, thanks mate! Did not know I could have two cables out of each channel lol

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #333 of 401
Totally agree, I did all the updates the moment they were displayed on my HAP-S1 for the last two years and never had any issues. Maybe I am just lucky!

To be fair this wasn't experienced by all users, just a few lol
Mine was completely fine the day I updated even on the previous firmware. Not sure if it's my imagination but I felt it the sound was a bit livelier after the update!

Awesome, thanks mate! Did not know I could have two cables out of each channel lol

May 10, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #337 of 401
Hi there,

My first post! Some good info here regarding the media player. I just purchased the UDA1 and paired it with the SS-HA1 speakers, to replace my old desktop set up. Using Media Go as the software interface for the music library on a couple of hard drives attached to a dedicated laptop with internet access disabled (seeing some horror stories regarding firmware updates). I guess if I need to expand my library, I'll just move the HDD to another computer to accommodate downloads and then re-attach.
I'm only now realizing how non-High Res my existing digital music collection is, in over 3TB of data.

I'm currently set up as follows:
Sony UDA1 DAC connected to:
- Marantz PM7200 amp (Line out)
- Marantz DV6400 SACD (Optical in)
- Marantz CD6000 OSE KI Sig (Coaxial In)
- Laptop USB A -> B on the rear of the UDA1
So, basically using the players as transport for discs and amplifying the SS-HA1 speakers directly from the amp rather than the DAC, so bypassing the UDA1 volume controls in that respect.
Cabling is above generic, but definitely mid-range.

Over what I had before, I'm impressed...although some media identified as HR in Media Go sound better at 16bit 44Khz FLAC than the 5.6 Mhz DSD file I downloaded for comparison. I listen to Prog Metal as my preferred genre, but this helps me appreciate Jennifer Warne's '..Raincoat' and other ear-opening goodness :)

If anyone can recommend any improvements over the set-up connections (as opposed to the music choices :)) I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

Sean.

May 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #339 of 401
I thought I would add to my present Hi Res equipment & have just ordered Sony's STR - DN1070 AV Receiver.....

www.sony.co.uk/eleconics/av-receivers/st-dn1070

Really looking forward to listening to my Hi Res music on this new / latest Sony AV Receiver. It's DSD native too.     

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #344 of 401
USB HUB Now supported!!!

1. Name: Firmware update v17384R for HAP-S1 / HAP-Z1ES
  2. Date released: 16-06-2016
  3. Benefits and improvements: 
    1. Spotify Connect features are now supported
    2. A USB hub can now be used for connecting both 1 HDD drive and 1 CD drive
    3. The Wake On LAN function is now supported
  4. Important notes:
    1. If you are using an HDD Audio Remote, you need to update the HDD Audio Remote too.
    2. The latest HDD Audio Remote will not support mobile devices running “Android 3.x or earlier” and “iOS 5 or earlier”. You won't be able to operate this product from such mobile devices if you update it to the latest firmware version. If you wish to go on operating your unit with HDD Audio Remote on such a mobile device, please: 
      1. Revert the firmware to the previous version, using the “Restore Previous Version” function in “Special Mode*”, in case you have already performed the update, or
      2. Update the OS of your mobile device to a later version than the ones described above
      *To enter “Special Mode”, while the unit is on standby, please hold the HOME button on the main unit and press the POWER button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back