New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #316 of 401
I have pondered the Sony ES digital audio player since it's introduction a few years ago. What's caused me to hesitate is recognition the product only provides convenience/utility when my laptop is deemed less convenient as a music player. Also, just recently, I read about the Marantz NA6005 Network Audio Player; and, it appears this unit has all the functionality of the Sony when paired with a NAS device. Looking into it, I can buy the Marantz and a NAS device for less than half of the Sony ES price. This begs the question, what am I missing here in my contrast and comparison to make me think the Sony player would be anything other than money wastefully spent, since I can get all the hi-res format  conversions I could ever ask for  with the Marantz. In addition, since the Sony ES is clearly marketed for its DSD decoding, what today sets this concept apart from other DSD converters. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #317 of 401
  WARNING - hey - there are a bunch of us whose HAP-S1's have all become defective in the last ~45 days after upgrading to the latest firmware. 

Thanks for this. That's quite disappointing that they haven't provided an update.
Been testing mine the whole day, It's such a solid unit and very organic sounding with the hw1s, though the low end is rather lacking but oh well I can't add a sub anyway!

Worst part is I can't use anything to control without updating the damn unit ..!!

EDIT: Got annoyed so I updated and all is fine, no issues whatsever! I wasn't too impressed with my files cause going through my list they're all 320 kbps or 16 bit Flacs, and some aacs. Demo'd the 24/96 files that came with the unit and what a difference it makes! Going to be really hard to get my tunes in any higher reso though =(

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #318 of 401
  WARNING - hey - there are a bunch of us whose HAP-S1's have all become defective in the last ~45 days after upgrading to the latest firmware. I recommend NOT UPGRADING the system firmware if it says there is an update available.

Read here - I use the same username over there:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/

I just thought I'd update this thread in case any other S1 users ever need this info. Sony is shipping me a brand new S1 - and they are taking my current one and sending it to their Design Group for investigation on what is causing the S1 to brick after applying the latest firmware update (for some people not all) as they have tried to identify and repair the issue for the past 3 weeks and they can't.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #319 of 401

I just thought I'd update this thread in case any other S1 users ever need this info. Sony is shipping me a brand new S1 - and they are taking my current one and sending it to their Design Group for investigation on what is causing the S1 to brick after applying the latest firmware update (for some people not all) as they have tried to identify and repair the issue for the past 3 weeks and they can't.

Thanks for the update. Maybe I should upgrade too and if it bricks I will get a new fully-functional unit?

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #320 of 401

Thanks for the update. Maybe I should upgrade too and if it bricks I will get a new fully-functional unit?

That seems to be the case. Someone from Europe had posted an email they got from Sony UK regarding this issue a while back - and the email said that the HAP-S1 is deemed 'uneconomical' to repair - and warranty action would result in a full replacement. Which makes sense. The S1 is,for the most part is just 3 pieces: Motherboard with everything soldered on, the HDD, and the case which includes the screen.

If the firmware toasts the motherboard somehow - then I guess it's just easier to replace the entire unit.

Also in my case - apparently I'm the first person to send a S1 in with this problem. Everyone else with the issue from our other thread either has not bothered to send theirs in for warranty repair yet - or they are out of warranty and don't want to pay for something Sony messed up. So they are hoping for a fix somehow. Maybe Sony will eventually figure out what broke mine - but until then a replacement seems the easier way for them to go.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #323 of 401
Does anyone know where you can get a list, or at least keep an eye out (on the internet - not thr) for the Z1/S1 firmware and updates?

I can normally only find them on  the UK sony site (info only no download) - and even then it seems u almost need to know the exact firmware reason number to actually find that page.

Example:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-ha/sony-haps1-hapz1es-firmware-update-ver13078r/HAP-Z1ES

I'd like to see a list of every firmware release, just to see the change logs and what updates were applied over time.

PS. Sony is aware of the November firmware bricking S1's and is working on a fix. My unit was replaced outright with a new unit (with an 18 month old firmware ugh) and many others are having theirs repaired now.

A new firmware is supposedly going to be out in a couple of weeks....

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #324 of 401
Has anyone tried adding a sub to a 2.0 set up? My current 2.0 set up with the HAPS1 is just too lacking...
Is it possible to get an active sub, connect via speaker cables (L+R) to the sub and then L+R from the sub to the actual speakers?

I'm only assuming from the connectors from active subs, but I have a feeling this will degrade quality somewhat depending on amp in the sub as well. Why couldn't they add a sub output!

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #325 of 401
Hey Now,

Got a UDA-1 and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to play DSD without the Sony Hi-rez Player on a Mac? Does anyone know of any other player that can play DSD besides the rudimentary Sony HiRes Player? Thanks.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #326 of 401
Has anyone tried adding a sub to a 2.0 set up? My current 2.0 set up with the HAPS1 is just too lacking...
Is it possible to get an active sub, connect via speaker cables (L+R) to the sub and then L+R from the sub to the actual speakers?

I'm only assuming from the connectors from active subs, but I have a feeling this will degrade quality somewhat depending on amp in the sub as well. Why couldn't they add a sub output!

You can run speaker cables directly from the UDA-1 to the sub and speakers (so basically 2 cables coming out of each channel of the UDA-1. An active sub will not be a power draw so no worries about overloading the UDA-1 or anything like that.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #327 of 401
NEW FIRMWARE JUST RELEASED FOR HAP-S1

Just received an email from my Sony Repair Centre.

Not sure if for the Z1 also - as this is in response to the previous firmware bribing S1 units...

. New firmware version 0017050R has been released

I'm not installing until others have confirmed it works, and what, if anything, is new.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #328 of 401

Not sure if for the Z1 also - as this is in response to the previous firmware bribing S1 units...

I'm not installing until others have confirmed it works, and what, if anything, is new.

I was wondering also, if anyone has been brave enough to update ??

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #329 of 401

I decided to go for it, seems fine, I kept mine running for 24hrs +

Read on another website, that this new update improves sound & communication.

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #330 of 401
Just updated my S1. Everything seems fine.

From the Sony website:

ABOUT THIS DOWNLOAD

1. Name: Firmware update v17050R for HAP-S1 / HAP-Z1ES
  2. Date released: 21-04-2016
  3. Benefits and improvements: 
    1. Improves secure communication
    2. Improves playback quality (HAP-S1 only)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back