New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #301 of 401
Does the volume knob on the UDA-1 feels funny to anyone else or is it just me? When I turn down the volume it feels like there is 2 small clicks before I reach 0 volume. Is this normal?

edit nvm issue fixed.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #302 of 401
Anyone with a HAP S1/ or Z1 having issues with their player not reading music any longer after the latest firmware?

Here'a link to a forum - we have people from Canada, USA, Europe (Not sure where) and Japan now who all have non functioning machines after the latest firmware update 0016152R.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/#post494437

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #303 of 401
  Anyone with a HAP S1/ or Z1 having issues with their player not reading music any longer after the latest firmware?

Here'a link to a forum - we have people from Canada, USA, Europe (Not sure where) and Japan now who all have non functioning machines after the latest firmware update 0016152R.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/#post494437

Is this a guaranteed break upon updating?

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #304 of 401

Is this a guaranteed break upon updating?

Not that we are aware of. A few of the guys seem to have had theirs break within days of updating the firmware. I myself updated about a month or so ago - when I actually saw some Z1 users talking about it around here. Sure enough the system showed the update for S1's too.

So - i got probably 20 hours of music playing before mine broke - just instantly. Turned it off. Then when I turned it on boom. Couldn't see anymore music.

Yesterday I went to the shop I bought mine from cuz they have a demo unit on display on wireless internet- and theirs was still working as of yesterday and on the newest firmware - but they only have it set to internet radio 24/7.

No one knows yet what is actually happening to break these... Mine's in for repair as of a few days ago so just waiting to hear back as to what the issue is.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #305 of 401

Not that we are aware of. A few of the guys seem to have had theirs break within days of updating the firmware. I myself updated about a month or so ago - when I actually saw some Z1 users talking about it around here. Sure enough the system showed the update for S1's too.

So - i got probably 20 hours of music playing before mine broke - just instantly. Turned it off. Then when I turned it on boom. Couldn't see anymore music.

Yesterday I went to the shop I bought mine from cuz they have a demo unit on display on wireless internet- and theirs was still working as of yesterday and on the newest firmware - but they only have it set to internet radio 24/7.

No one knows yet what is actually happening to break these... Mine's in for repair as of a few days ago so just waiting to hear back as to what the issue is.

... That is outrageous. Good thing I didn't update mine yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #307 of 401
I've actually sent a message to the Sony Biz Corporate asking them to contact me about this - especially with the one fellow from Europe who posted his response from Sony indicating the HAP-S1 is considered non repairable and a replacement warranty is used instead. Need to find out about that cuz a few of the guys wit the issue are past warranty - so how would that work?

I'll update the few threads on the sites as my repair/replacement goes through they system and if they get back to me....

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #309 of 401
Hi Guys,

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/haps1/v1/en/contents/TP0000221982.html

I thought the HAP S1 shared DAC (PCM1795) with the HAPZ1 and UDA-1? Looks like it doesn't do 24/192 if I am reading correctly so it's got a different one? 

If in future I want to get the a dedicated amp will this serve as a decent DAC?

Can't seem to find proper specs on this, what is wrong with Sony?!

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #310 of 401
Hi Guys,

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/haps1/v1/en/contents/TP0000221982.html

I thought the HAP S1 shared DAC (PCM1795) with the HAPZ1 and UDA-1? Looks like it doesn't do 24/192 if I am reading correctly so it's got a different one? 

If in future I want to get the a dedicated amp will this serve as a decent DAC?

Can't seem to find proper specs on this, what is wrong with Sony?!

You are looking at the wrong information. Optical only goes up to 24/192.

It uses 2x PCM1795. If you did more research you would have found out.

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #311 of 401
I did have a look around but there isn't even much technical info on these, so then I referred to the help guide which stated optical/coaxial only goes to 96khz.. where are you getting "only going up to 24/192"?
Sorry obviously not too technical with this stuff as it's my first desktop dac so any advice would be appreciated.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #312 of 401
You are looking at the wrong information. Optical only goes up to 24/192.

It uses 2x PCM1795. If you did more research you would have found out.

Wrong.

The Optical In only goes up to 96...

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/haps1/v1/en/print.html

CHAPTER [35]

"Only the LPCM 2ch audio format can be played when the signal is input through the OPTICAL IN or COAXIAL IN jack. (The HDD AUDIO PLAYER supports the LPCM format with sampling frequencies up to 96 kHz for signals input through the OPTICAL IN jack. 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz sampling frequencies are not supported.)"

SIBILANTZ:

Here is the bulk of what else it can play from music on the internal drive:

DSD (DSF, DSDIFF)

Extensions: .dsf, .diff

Sampling frequency: 2.8224 MHz, 5.6448 MHz

LPCM (WAV, AIFF)

Extensions: .wav, .aif, .aiff

Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz

Quantization bits: 16 bits, 24 bits, 32 bits (*) 

* 32-bit playback is only possible for files in WAV format. 
FLAC

Extensions: .flac, .fla

Quantization bits: 16 bits, 24 bits

ALAC

Extensions: .m4a

Quantization bits: 16 bits, 24 bits

MP3 (MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer-3)

Extensions: .mp3

Bit rate: 64 kbps - 320 kbps

Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz

Quantization bits: 16 bits

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #313 of 401
  SIBILANTZ:

Here is the bulk of what else it can play from music on the internal drive:

Thanks for the info, makes a lot more sense now.
So the only way to make the most out of 24 bit is to have FLAC on the hdd itself. Shame they didn't include a usb input like the UDA-1, and I do understand why but it would have just been much more convenient lol
I've been using the UDA-1 for several days but I have a S1 incoming tomorrow so quite excited to test!! Maybe except for the transfer bit after reading all the user feedback.

Pairing them up with the HW1s even though it's advertised with the HA1s, I just prefer wood over alumi. Perhaps the MAPS1 would have been more suitable for my needs but I felt the HAP was a better unit overall with a stronger amp. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #314 of 401

I have a S1 incoming tomorrow so quite excited to test!! 

WARNING - hey - there are a bunch of us whose HAP-S1's have all become defective in the last ~45 days after upgrading to the latest firmware. I recommend NOT UPGRADING the system firmware if it says there is an update available.

Read here - I use the same username over there:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #315 of 401
  WARNING - hey - there are a bunch of us whose HAP-S1's have all become defective in the last ~45 days after upgrading to the latest firmware. I recommend NOT UPGRADING the system firmware if it says there is an update available.

Read here - I use the same username over there:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/

Thanks for the heads up. I have two HAP-Z1es and just turned OFF update notification. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back