New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Nov 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #271 of 401
  Hey u2u2,
Thanks for the help. Curious if you're using the HAP-S1 as an all-in-one unit (with just speakers) or if you added other components. I'm hoping for an all-in-one unit but will add to it if it's lacking in areas.

I use it with a Sony SRS-X9 speaker and various headphones and IEMs. Depending on what I am up to it is also a solid stand alone DAC. When used in that manner I feed it with the optical input from my Mac Pro. Very high quality and pleasing sound. I could easily get by with just it but I have since acquired a Woo WA6 and stepped off the edge of a long slippery slope leading to tube rolling,  a WDS-1 DAC, and further desires along that path. 

I have had the opportunity to audition the HAP-S1 many times with a variety of speakers since the unit was first released. It offers a high level of utility for your investment if your situation or desires dictate a lower powered system. Mine won't be leaving any time soon and I would buy it again...

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #272 of 401
http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201510/19/16513.html
You'll need a translator.

I know this is mostly an HAP1S thread but for those..........
It looks like the HAPZ1ES is getting a new firmware that will allow the ripping of CD thru the USB port, this is a very important update to an already killer hifi component.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #273 of 401
For the HAPZ1ES...........

The support for this wonderful sounding player is up. This new firmware allows ripping from an external USB drive in flac.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=HAPZ1ES&upd_id=10620&os_group_id=18

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #274 of 401
For the HAPZ1ES...........

The support for this wonderful sounding player is up. This new firmware allows ripping from an external USB drive in flac.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=HAPZ1ES&upd_id=10620&os_group_id=18

Saw your post, & thought I'd check for updates for the HAP-S1. ( Which there is & I'm doing now. ) I assume the updates of firmware would include the same as above ?

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #276 of 401
Excellent thank you for sharing over this long weekend I to intend on doing a number of rips, I will be using the Apple Super Drive.

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #280 of 401

Thanks for the info. I convert everything to DSD, but useful for those that want to rip cd's direct. Is DSEE HX an upgrade with flac ( other type files. ) ?

On my HAP=S1 I've been playing some 24/96 FLAC and the DSEE HX activates... Then I tried some MP3@320 and same. So, it seems to come on (if you enable it) for any music that is NOT DSD.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #282 of 401
I wanted to thank those who have answered my questions so far. I bought a HAP-S1 today and it's sitting right next to me. :) Until I'm able to buy a better set of speakers I'm going to have to use my Audioengine A2s. They're powered. My current computer setup is USB DAC ----> Input on A2 Left speaker -----> the R speaker via speaker wire.

I can't seem to replicate that using the speaker terminals on the rear of the HAP-S1. Am I supposed to use the Line Out instead?

I'm not sure I explained this very well, but if you're able to decipher this, it would be appreciated!

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #283 of 401
  I wanted to thank those who have answered my questions so far. I bought a HAP-S1 today and it's sitting right next to me. :) Until I'm able to buy a better set of speakers I'm going to have to use my Audioengine A2s. They're powered. My current computer setup is USB DAC ----> Input on A2 Left speaker -----> the R speaker via speaker wire.

I can't seem to replicate that using the speaker terminals on the rear of the HAP-S1. Am I supposed to use the Line Out instead?

I'm not sure I explained this very well, but if you're able to decipher this, it would be appreciated!

You asked earlier about ising it as an all in one. That's what I do. I have the HAP=S1 - directly wired via the speaker terminals to my speakers  that I bought specifically for this unit. It is its own sound system.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #284 of 401

Yes, that's right. The issue I have is that speakers I want to connect to it are not your traditional speakers that connect L --> L, R --> R to the terminals on the S1.  Currently they connect to my computer via 1/8 inch a mini-jack cable. So I'm not sure where to connect this mini-jack to the S1. You can see a pic of the speakers here https://i.ytimg.com/vi/o0LMDunuC_4/maxresdefault.jpg (Internet photo)
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back