New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Oct 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #259 of 401
I tried out the HAP-S1 at a local store. Wow. Absolutely fantastic device.

The only strange thing about it was that I can dock my phone on the UDA-1, but I couldn't on the HAP-S1 (useful when auditioning in a pinch).

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #260 of 401
Yea the usb is only for extending storage. I use an apple airport express for spotify etc. My headphones right noe are taking the backseat, absolutely love the sound from the sony pair. :)

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #261 of 401

Thanks for your feedback. They are in a sale, on a U.K. site for £399. I'm sure I will buy them, at some point. ( The thing is I want so much Hi-Res stuff, that I can't afford it all !! )

You mean the UDA-1? If the HAP S1 is 399 pounds then I might as well pick another one up!

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #265 of 401
What a surprise, I found out my HAP-S1 was actually defective. The bass on my speakers (fairly efficient ones) would distort even at 30% volume. I was super busy and didn't really have time to listen to it until recently.

Didn't expect that to happen. Unfortunately my return/exchange period passed but fortunately the sales guy was nice enough to give me a brand new replacement on the spot. Great customer service but honestly didn't expect something to arrive defective straight from the factory... 

Everything is sorted out now, I can go back to relaxing and not freaking out!

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #266 of 401
Recently picked up a HAPZ1ES and I must say this player is pretty amazing. In comparing it to my PSAudio perfect wave Dac, I feel the Sony is giving me a lot more micro detail, it's extremely revealing, It could be the DSD remastering engine. I have about 30 hours and I love the unit.
I also love the HDD Audio player and it's simple and great iPad integration too, really well executed too and so much I sold the PSAudio DAC. I am somewhat surprise there aren't more headf-fiers buying this product.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #267 of 401
Recently picked up a HAPZ1ES and I must say this player is pretty amazing. In comparing it to my PSAudio perfect wave Dac, I feel the Sony is giving me a lot more micro detail, it's extremely revealing, It could be the DSD remastering engine. I have about 30 hours and I love the unit.
I also love the HDD Audio player and it's simple and great iPad integration too, really well executed too and so much I sold the PSAudio DAC. I am somewhat surprise there aren't more headf-fiers buying this product.

It's a shame that audiophiles (especially the newer ones that just got into the hobby) would shriek at anything made by Sony. Sucks because Sony competes with many of the highest end products out there.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #268 of 401
Hey all,
This is my first post here. I'm thinking of getting myself the HAP-S1 and had a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

- Is anyone pairing it with PSB Imagine Mini's?
- Anyone using Sennheiser HD598's? My main music is classical.
- I've been reading different things about the included vTuner. Does it work and how well?
- Has anyone had issues with album art carrying over during sync? All my iTunes files have correct art and I wouldn't want to have these screwed up.
- It doesn't appear Sony has updated firmware in some time. Is anyone concerned that support will lag?

I think that's it... for now. :)

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #269 of 401
Hey all,
This is my first post here. I'm thinking of getting myself the HAP-S1 and had a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

- Is anyone pairing it with PSB Imagine Mini's?
- Anyone using Sennheiser HD598's? My main music is classical.
- I've been reading different things about the included vTuner. Does it work and how well?
- Has anyone had issues with album art carrying over during sync? All my iTunes files have correct art and I wouldn't want to have these screwed up.
- It doesn't appear Sony has updated firmware in some time. Is anyone concerned that support will lag?

I think that's it... for now. :)

Thanks!

I have a very early HAP-S1 and while the hardware has been solid Sony software and support are concerns.

vTuner went off line for many weeks and Sony was non responsive on the issue. I spent days doing resets and reinstalling my music library trying to work through the problem. After much frustration and searching the net for solutions, a tidbit of information turned up on the Sony UK site. vTuner was down for Sony only. Eventually they worked it out and function was returned.

vTuner has since been replaced with TuneIn. It is a pain in many ways but once you set up your favourite stations it works within reason.

Your art work will probably carry over or be filled in from Gracenotes, if I recall correctly. I have only a handful of albums out of hundreds that did not work. About 1%. Transfer speeds by wireless or wired are slow...

Early on there were several updates to the system and the apps for remote control. The operation is now solid and the features have been refined. I operate mine with an iPad or iPhone. I do worry about future support as Sony has been tardy in past. Their market presence, and support, has plummeted in my location. I used to go to Sony first but with their decline my recent major purchases have all been from their competitors.

Can't help you with your other questions.

Good luck with your decision.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #270 of 401
Hey u2u2,
Thanks for the help. Curious if you're using the HAP-S1 as an all-in-one unit (with just speakers) or if you added other components. I'm hoping for an all-in-one unit but will add to it if it's lacking in areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back