New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Feb 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #62 of 401
  My full review of the HAP-Z1ES is here - http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sony-hap-z1es-hdd-audio-player/

I enjoyed reading your review. I'm attracted to Sony's products and their new line of HAPs really interest me. However,  I won't buy one simply because there is no way (that I'm aware of) to play Spotify through it or on it which means I'm limited to a PC for playback. I have tried using spotiamp running a shoutcast server to stream Spotify's music to external players/devices such as Sonos products. I love the fact that Sony has a device that will play literally any MQS format available.

Maybe one day when there is more MQS content available, as my library is quite small presently and most of the music I enjoy can be found on Spotify. Though HD Tracks is very promising with the labels they have available.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #64 of 401
Thanks for the excellent review, it convinced me I don't need to waste any of my hard earned income for a product which does not, it appears, improve upon the convenience and/or quality of my music  from the laptop. I think Sony needs to put their effort into producing a good multi channel pre pro which can decode multi channel DSD. Build an update of the TA-E9000ES with a few more channels and HDMI inputs, one with HATS for enjoyment of multi channel SACD from the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. Give it a USB input to a DSD converter so I can enjoy  DSD downloads that have been alluded to as being better  than my PMC downloads. In other words, give me a STR-5800ES without the power amp section and AM/FM tuner.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #65 of 401
The new Sony products do support DSD and 32/192 PCM over USB or from file. How could it offer any further convenience for music from a laptop?

Your suggested prepro; I'd buy one of those, has just about everything I feel I'm missing from my AV7701.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #66 of 401
These products do not give me more convenience or quality than I am getting  now from iTunes to HT via Airport Express or X-FI HD. The sound I hear from this set-up, playing HDtracks hi-res downloads stored in iTunes at 24/96 ALAC, cannot be distinguished from SACD direct of the same material. The only thing I'd get with the Sony ES player is DSD to stereo analog decoding capability which does not appear to yield better sound than PMC decoding. But, who knows for sure.  Thing is, there's no component out there today for multi channel DSD decoding from HDMI, other than a few very expensive prepros, the OPPO, and a few HT multi channel receivers with HDMI inputs, but it seems most of those convert DSD first to PCM. I think Sony would exploit DSD multi channel instead of concentrating on stereo, especially since they no longer make an SACD player with analog multi channel outputs. Of course I could just buy an OPPO 105 and  use it for multi channel DSD decoding but I would like to buy from Sony being the  big Sony fan I am. Bottom line, iTunes media player is free and can deliver 24/96 to my HT for awesome sound. The new hi-res player from Sony would be like moving my music collection from one cabinet to another, what's the point, my existing cabinet is big and sturdy. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #67 of 401
  The new Sony products do support DSD and 32/192 PCM over USB or from file. How could it offer any further convenience for music from a laptop?

Your suggested prepro; I'd buy one of those, has just about everything I feel I'm missing from my AV7701.

Just to be clear, only the UDA-1 has a USB computer input. The other units -- the HAP-S1 and HAP-Z1ES -- do not have a USB connection for a computer; their USB inputs are only for connecting an external hard drive.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #68 of 401
Yes,
But the HAP-S1 has both optical and coax inputs and you can get a USB to optical or USB to coax cable so that you can use the HAP-S1 as a DAC. 
That is what I am doing.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #69 of 401
At risk of sounding like a fan boy, I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a Sony product quite this much since I got my first walkman (and I mean the tape kind).
The fact that I should have been in bed an hour ago and I am still listening (to the "Exterme" playlist on the SenseMe categories) pretty much says it all. 
While with the LCD-2 it does not quite compare to the HP out of my restored, pristine, SX-1250 sample, it does hold it's own from the speaker taps, which makes me think it could possibly do something with the HE-6..... but not tonight.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #71 of 401
  At risk of sounding like a fan boy, I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a Sony product quite this much since I got my first walkman (and I mean the tape kind).
The fact that I should have been in bed an hour ago and I am still listening (to the "Exterme" playlist on the SenseMe categories) pretty much says it all. 
While with the LCD-2 it does not quite compare to the HP out of my restored, pristine, SX-1250 sample, it does hold it's own from the speaker taps, which makes me think it could possibly do something with the HE-6..... but not tonight.

Just to be clear, you are running the LCD-2 off the banana taps? How much volume play? Any noise floor or anything.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #72 of 401
I am running them off of both the taps (yes banana) and the HP out. While they do sound more authoritative out of the taps there is a slight noise floor which is not audible while music is playing (even in the quiet parts) but is there when you pause a song.
I actually prefer the LCD-2 from the HP out, while it is not as good as the SX-1250, I have yet to hear anything else that is. 
As a reference I have an LF339 with Sylvania 7236's and RCA red tops which is only used for the LCD-2's (and sounds amazing with them). The HAP-S1 HP out is just as effective at driving the LCD-2's as the 339 however it also gives a darker background and wider sound stage, plus has the benefit of tone controls which allow you to shape the highs (thus wider sound stage).

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #73 of 401
  I am running them off of both the taps (yes banana) and the HP out. While they do sound more authoritative out of the taps there is a slight noise floor which is not audible while music is playing (even in the quiet parts) but is there when you pause a song.
I actually prefer the LCD-2 from the HP out, while it is not as good as the SX-1250, I have yet to hear anything else that is. 
As a reference I have an LF339 with Sylvania 7236's and RCA red tops which is only used for the LCD-2's (and sounds amazing with them). The HAP-S1 HP out is just as effective at driving the LCD-2's as the 339 however it also gives a darker background and wider sound stage, plus has the benefit of tone controls which allow you to shape the highs (thus wider sound stage).

Solid. I'm still waiting for Canada to stock it for auditioning. Should be here in GTA by February end or early March (for anyone that is wondering). The tone controls are so handy! I used to drive my LCD-3s from Emotiva's taps, now using the Marantz PM6004 taps. The Marantz has tone controls as well and gives you the option to get the sound just right for you. Can't wait to try it out myself. Keep us updated.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #74 of 401
Hi all,

Was wondering whether anyone has tried driving the LCD-3 with the UDA-1.

Eager to know the performance/sound characteristics of this combo, especially, whether it is able to open up the stage imaging of the LCD-3.

Thanks   

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #75 of 401
I have used my HAP-S1 with the LCD-2 rev 1 and with the HE-6. The HO is a bit under powered to get the best from the LCD-2 and nowhere near the HE-6. But from the speaker out (with taps) even the HE-6 sounds better than most desktop rigs I have heard. So assuming the UDA has the same characteristics as the S1 but half the power from the speaker outs I would guess that it would play nice with the LCD-3's.
However I have found that the LCD-2's are fussy about synergy with amps so who the hell knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back