New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Oct 28, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #181 of 401
Didn't hear any difference. Probably not the right guy to ask anyway, while I can hear some differences mostly on the analog end of things (like different tube sets on my WA22 ^_^) I have hardly ever been able to realistically discern differences between most of my digital gear from a certain cost level onward (and even then I still think it may have more to do with the analog section)

As far as SSDs go, to me it's a storage device: it's all good as long as it delivers the data at sufficient speed to the port which in turn will funnel it to DAC section for actual audio processing. Maybe the lack of physical movement/vibration could have some audible effect, but not to the actual electronics IMHO. And the Z1ES is already built like a tank, so I don't see how a puny 2.5" mechanical drive could have any effect anyway...

As far as the updates go, haven't gotten that one yet. I don't see a corresponding iOS/Android app update, so I don't think it's major. Usually you can check this page and choose as the "Operating System" > "System Software", then unfold the "Firmware" tab to see the latest Release Notes. For now the most recent one still seems to be 13741R (which was pretty solid in terms of added functionality), maybe they'll add 13814R soon.

UPDATE: It's up, only change seems to be: "Improves secure communication to address an SSL v3 vulnerability"

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #182 of 401
Just came home with the HAP-S1. Initial set up went fine and am now transferring files from my iMac. Based on what has been written so far, I am going to do it in chunks. My current strategy is by artist in alphabetical order. Not sure if that is the best way, but will see as I go along. I don't mind starting over if I have to.

I got in the 'A's okay- all the tracks, all the artwork. Working on the 'B's now.

I have never been totally sure what iTunes is doing with compilations and I have renamed some albums (mostly Soundtracks) to group them in a more meaningful way to me. I will try those two folders next to see what happens.

I have been working with iTunes>USB DAC>amp for several years now. It has worked reasonably well, but there is the occasional annoyance having my my main computer as my music server. Having the files/server/dac entirely separate is wonderfully convenient. My experience so far with the unit, the file transfers, and the app have been excellent. I am very happy with this addition to my rig.

Using the headphones out to feed the MDR-Z7s with good results. Will do some comparisons with a dedicated amp later on.

A big thank you to those who contributed to this thread. It was very helpful in my decision-making. 

beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #184 of 401
I have a large selection of compilation albums-- (e.g., Hits of the 80's) and iTunes nicely groups them within a Compilations folder rather than dispersing them throughout the library by Artist. When I transferred that folder to the S1, that Compilations grouping was lost. The number of artists has now increased 5-fold at least. On the plus side, I am more aware of what was in those compilations, but so many of my 'Artists' just represent a single track or two. It makes it a bit harder to find the meat of my library.

Has anyone dealt with this situation and found a way to keep those compilations together (out of the by Artist list) in one place using the Sony app? Actually, I haven't really seen a way to do organizing, renaming once the files are transferred. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #185 of 401
Within the app, you should have full control to change the tags. I have been able to combine genres into 5 custom ones that I use and to tag files that have missing information. However, depending on your compilations got split up, it may be a fairly manual process to get them back to the original state.
Good luck

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #186 of 401
  Within the app, you should have full control to change the tags. .....it may be a fairly manual process to get them back to the original state.

Cool. Thanks. I figured it out. I was trying to find the editing options at the album level, but I needed to go into the individual track to get the edit Music option to appear in the options list.

In iTunes there is a grouping option for compilation albums that keeps all of the Artist field info intact but pulls the tracks out of the main by Artist listing and puts them in a Compilations category when listing by Artist. There is nothing quite so simple with this system.

I have been playing around with changing different fields. By changing the Album Artist field and then pushing the Apply to All Tracks button right below, it will change every artist name on every track in the album. This seems like the only way to get as close to what I want to do, but it does in fact change all of the Artist field information to something like Various Artists or 80's Hits or whatever I add to the Album Artist field. All Artist information is lost. Not such an ideal option.

I will look into making use of the Genre option a bit more actively when browsing my music. That might solve my problem by creating a Compilations genre.

It appears that only three real tagging levels exist: Genre, Artist, Album (plus playlists and favorites)

I see no Composer information. I do not really use that one but thought it was quite important for collectors of classical music. Maybe a heads-up for anyone thinking about this player as an option.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #190 of 401
I use it to feed a restored, 70's Toshiba SA-7100 for my HE-6, a Lafigaro 339 for my LCD-2 an a pico slim for my JH16's. 
Listening to the DSD version of Shelby Lynne's - Just a little lovin on the JH16's as we speak. 
atsmile.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #192 of 401
Picked up a Sony UDA-1 literally a couple hours after finding out about it online, heh.

First I saw the HAP-S1 in a local retailer's flyer in the newspaper and thought to myself... hmm, that looks like quite an interesting device, I'll have to look it up online and Head-fi.

After researching the HAP-S1, I was thinking about the price tag and how it's mostly meant for users who want a separate music server instead of using a computer to play the music. Then I discovered through Head-fi that the HAP-S1 has a little brother that does many of the same things minus the music server (absolutely perfect, because I don't need a music server for my small bedroom computer desk setup). Looked at the local retailer selling the HAP-S1 and what do you know, they carry the UDA-1 as well! (just don't advertise it as much). So I went and picked her up and first impressions are very, very good.

The UDA-1 was basically the missing piece for my desktop setup that I've been looking for the past year, hehe. Recently the amplifier on my Klipsch 5.1 computer speakers finally died after about 10 years of good service (I had those things forever). So now I have a bunch of useless satellite speakers laying around the room with no amp to connect to.

I also had my Fostex TH-900's that were currently being used with an Astro Mixamp for gaming and listening to music through the Mixamp's AUX port from my computer's headphone port (which produced awful sound quality as you can imagine, the Astro Mixamp is definitely not meant to be an audiophile device, lol).

Then comes in the UDA-1! This thing is the new heart of my desktop system. I took 2 of the Klipsch satellite speakers left over from my old computer setup and hooked them up to the UDA-1's speaker outputs. Also hooked up my TH-900 to the headphone port on the UDA-1 of course. Also, for gaming, I hooked up the Astro Mixamp to the Line input on the UDA-1. Then I ran a coaxial cable from my computer to the UDA-1 and everything was ready to go in minutes. Literally felt like the UDA-1 was meant for my specific setup. Although I won't be able to use the rest of my speakers and run a 5.1 setup, I think a stereo setup will do just fine for now.

Everything is working great, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the UDA-1 drives my TH-900 headphones (they are not very demanding headphones in the first place). The Klipsch satellites sound super crisp and clear when played through the UDA-1, but lack bottom end because they were designed to be used with a subwoofer as part of a 5.1 setup. Whenever I want to game, I can just switch over to the Line input and be gaming through my TH-900 in seconds, no flipping wires between the Mixamp and the UDA-1. 

The Klipsch satellites are just a temporary solution until I get some good bookshelf speakers or something. Any suggestions? Are the matching Sony bookshelf's for the UDA-1 really that good?

Also, I was wondering if there is any point in upgrading to the HAP-S1 for someone who will NOT be using the music server capabilities at all? From what I understand, the big difference is that the HAP-S1 outputs 40w to connected speakers (as opposed to the 20w the UDA-1 outputs). For everything else, it seems like the UDA-1 suits the bill much nicer for me. Is that extra money really worth 20w of extra power? Another thing that comes to mind is that I use headphones more than I do speakers because I can't be playing loud music all the time, so I don't think I really need the extra power anyways if it won't be used much. And as mentioned earlier, the room I have my setup in is pretty small (maybe about 10x12 so even low power has no problem filling the room with sound).

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #193 of 401
As purely a headphone device how beneficial would adding an amp be to this device? Any speakers I would use have built-in amps, but for headphones would I notice any upgrade with a cheap-ish solid state (Asgard II?) amp? With some headphones but not others, maybe? Forgive me, I'm a newbie when it comes to this. Currently I'm running the UDA-1 and a pair of Philips X2s.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #195 of 401
  What do you think of the DSEE function? Do you always leave it activated (save DSD)?

DSEE only works for lower bit rates for mp3 to boost the lost frequencies.You can't even recognize the difference if you are already using 320 kbps.

I guess it did no harm if you left it turned on. It should not have any effect on lossless format. When using sony walkman if you turn on DSEE you just consume battery faster : ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back