New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
May 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #151 of 401
The issue you describe with names seems to me to be more tag-related rather than the player's firmware. I have only had 2 of ~1000 albums have issues of any kind, and those same albums have had issues on other players (but seem fine in iTunes) But then again I have spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of years curating my music & cleaning up tagging...

Tags can be trickier than one thinks because different editors & players don't necessarily look at the same fields to display... For example, some of the issues above happened because the files included both the old ID3v1.1 and newer ID3v2.3 tags, and iTunes etc. only updated the newer standard tags, but some player software may take the old ones into consideration, thus seemingly changes are not applied.

And especially DSD tag editing is still tricky at this point, I actually haven't found a good solution yet. And I don't know what conversion software you use, but it may not correctly transfer the appropriate tags even if correct (which is what you described symptoms look like to me)

There are free, much more complete tag editing applications available for Windows & Mac, including batch processing (i.e. multiple albums at once). You may want to try one of those & clean up the tags as much as possible, and do so before DSD conversion which may make things even more messy (and then alas have to re-transfer/overwrite the ones already on the player) Start with 1-2 of the albums you just mentioned and see if that fixes the issue, and if so proceed with the rest... I know it's a p.i.t.a. but done once right, it won't be something to revisit in the future.

N.B.: On the Sony, via the mobile app(s), you can do a surprising amount of editing, but as I found out when transferring the files back, it will only be applied internally via the database, so only appear correct on the HAP, not actually fixed in the tracks themselves. Of course, some (incl. me) would argue that it's a good thing that the HAP is not messing with our files. And in line with Sony's perspective, since the HAP's HD is supposed to be the final resting place of the music, not a round-trip device (though it's do-able) For the few DSD files I have, I'm still using the internal solution anyway because I haven't found a good way to edit tags on existing DSD files.

May 12, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #152 of 401
Again, thank you for your help, TGOM. I have never used tag, because I didn't know what it was, but obviously it's self explanatory, tag - label.
I rip cd's to flac, using winamp. ( I've only recently purchased JRiver. ) I do the DSD conversions with this. I've transferred something like 5.000 songs so far, about half way through. I haven't scrolled through the list, to see how many are wrong ?
The majority of album info on JRiver is correct, and as far as I'm aware, there's no bizarre names, at most, incorrect album covers, or no album covers.
Most of what's being transferred is flac files, the incorrect info appears to apply to any file type, I think I'm going to let the transfer continue to the end, and take it from there. My aim is to only store converted DSD files, so I'm going to be doing a lot of conversion & re-doing !! ( I've got the rest of my life ! )

May 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #153 of 401
Can anyone recommend a make of external hard disk drive ( and capacity ) for the HAP-S1, please ? I've never bought an external drive for my laptop. Would I have to transfer music files onto the external drive, via my laptop first, or could I just plug it straight into the HAP-S1, and transfer to an empty drive ?
Thanks for any advice.

May 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #154 of 401
Can anyone recommend a make of external hard disk drive ( and capacity ) for the HAP-S1, please ? I've never bought an external drive for my laptop. Would I have to transfer music files onto the external drive, via my laptop first, or could I just plug it straight into the HAP-S1, and transfer to an empty drive ?
Thanks for any advice.

Any external usb would work. You have to connect the drive to the HAP and then the drive would be formatted by the HAP before you start using it, so any stuff on the drive would be wiped. You can only transfer music using the HAP software to either the internal or external hard drive.

May 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #155 of 401
Any external usb would work. You have to connect the drive to the HAP and then the drive would be formatted by the HAP before you start using it, so any stuff on the drive would be wiped. You can only transfer music using the HAP software to either the internal or external hard drive.

Thank you for the info / explanation.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #156 of 401
I ordered a HAP-S1 from a small Online-Shop in Austria, but theay are not responding. Though I am going to pay more for it, I will probably order it from Amazon.

However, does anyone of you have the experience with any Audio Technica headphone on these? Also I have a Fostex TH600.

I am probably going to use this unit for headphones only. Is it wise to buy this one, or is there a better solution for the money.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #157 of 401
I'm not really sure the Hap S1 will drive correctly your TH600. I suggest you to buy a dedicated amp for headphone. The HAP S1 has been made for speakers. I own the sony and I try with a grado and I really prefer using my project ember to drive it. if I were you and it's only for headphones I'd prefer specific headphone's amp with a dac. with the price (or less) of the sony you can easily find a lot of stuff (garage1217 project ember if you like the DIY look, any audio gd, violetric, lake people, teac 501, the dac :fostex HP 4A or a little Odac. You can find a lot of advice on HF. Again, if it's only for heaphones, buy amp and dac, you'll save money and win in quality.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #158 of 401
I'm not really sure the Hap S1 will drive correctly your TH600. I suggest you to buy a dedicated amp for headphone. The HAP S1 has been made for speakers. I own the sony and I try with a grado and I really prefer using my project ember to drive it. if I were you and it's only for headphones I'd prefer specific headphone's amp with a dac. with the price (or less) of the sony you can easily find a lot of stuff (garage1217 project ember if you like the DIY look, any audio gd, violetric, lake people, teac 501, the dac :fostex HP 4A or a little Odac. You can find a lot of advice on HF. Again, if it's only for heaphones, buy amp and dac, you'll save money and win in quality.

Thank you very much for your response. This kind of answer is the exact thing I was hoping for.

I find the Teac to be very interesting.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #159 of 401
If you want to spend less money, you can buy a Musical Fidelity M1-HPA, wich is a dac and amp in a same box. The teac is also very good but you need to buy an amp. I invite to watch specifics topics on HF and ask advice to users.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #160 of 401
I have a completely opposite opinion.
IMO the HAP-S1 is a great all in one solution. The built in DAC is top notch, the ability to play any type of file including DSD, the DSEE upscaling, expandable hard drive, internet radio and RCA out make it a great central system.
While the internal HP amp does not have enough power for planar headphones It has great synergy with my Magnum builds (Grado's with magnum drivers). I have not heard the TH600 so I can't tell you if they will sound good with the S1, but you can always get an external amp to drive them if necessary.  I do use it with speakers as a desk top system and have also tried my HE-6 and LCD-2's from the speaker out with speaker taps. While not enough juice for the HE-6 it still sounds damn good while the LCD-2 is too sensitive and picks up the hard drive noise.
Overall I am a big fan of the S1 so much so that I am considering getting the ZES1 for the living room speaker system.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #162 of 401
  I have a completely opposite opinion.
IMO the HAP-S1 is a great all in one solution. The built in DAC is top notch, the ability to play any type of file including DSD, the DSEE upscaling, expandable hard drive, internet radio and RCA out make it a great central system.
While the internal HP amp does not have enough power for planar headphones It has great synergy with my Magnum builds (Grado's with magnum drivers). I have not heard the TH600 so I can't tell you if they will sound good with the S1, but you can always get an external amp to drive them if necessary.  I do use it with speakers as a desk top system and have also tried my HE-6 and LCD-2's from the speaker out with speaker taps. While not enough juice for the HE-6 it still sounds damn good while the LCD-2 is too sensitive and picks up the hard drive noise.
Overall I am a big fan of the S1 so much so that I am considering getting the ZES1 for the living room speaker system.

I've had my HAP-S1 a couple of months now, and deciding to buy, is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sonic wise, the best I've ever heard. All my music, in one place, converted to DSD.
I haven't done a great deal of headphone listening, but I've been impressed with what I've heard. For me the real beauty of the audio experience, is listening through speakers. Anyone considering buying one of the HAP players, I'm sure wouldn't be disappointed, if they decided to purchase.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #163 of 401
Well !! I spoke too soon !!

After yesterday's post, I was doing my final transfer ( 115 files. ) of ALL my music collection. During this transfer, I noticed that connection had been lost. ( nothing unusual in that, from my experience. ) What was unusual was, the count transfer had frozen.
I switched off the player and restarted the transfer. The transfer count carried on so I assumed everything was ok ? When the transfer finally finished the count froze again. It was still the same this morning, so had to phone Sony.
The outcome of the conversation was to do a factory reset & rescan of the external hard drive. I asked if this would wipe the hard drive, to which the gentleman replied no, but what he didn't tell me, was that it would wipe the internal hard drive !
At this moment in time, I have no art work either, although I am still waiting for the data base to finish. Oh ! It's just finished !....and nearly all the art work is missing !! The prospect of re-doing nearly 900 albums, is not something I'm happy about, or looking forward too !! It's taken me two months solid to rip cd's, convert them, transfer and edit them. NOT HAPPY !!!.....especially as there's no reason, why this won't happen again in the future ! ?

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #164 of 401
If you try this again, I would recommend to transfer in 100 Albums steps. I have experienced the same problem with iTunes and ipod classic. The transfer software develops/fills the database. I wanted to put all the music on it, but at some point it crashed and I had to restore the ipod. Later I tried it with batches and it worked. Maybe in that process there is a limit how much data (tags and album art) you can transfer to the HAP-S1 Database.

Though the general opinion is a positive one, I would use the HAP-S1 only with headphones. That is why I decided to buy something only for headphone use and not the HAP-S1.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #165 of 401
If you try this again, I would recommend to transfer in 100 Albums steps. I have experienced the same problem with iTunes and ipod classic. The transfer software develops/fills the database. I wanted to put all the music on it, but at some point it crashed and I had to restore the ipod. Later I tried it with batches and it worked. Maybe in that process there is a limit how much data (tags and album art) you can transfer to the HAP-S1 Database.

Though the general opinion is a positive one, I would use the HAP-S1 only with headphones. That is why I decided to buy something only for headphone use and not the HAP-S1.

Sounds like a RAM issue while the HAP-S1's OS tries to index and write all the data on its HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back