New Sony Flash Players
May 25, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #61 of 68
Don't get me wrong. I'm just telling you how it works for me. To be quite honest, I don't do a lot of portable listening. I primarily use my players to plug into my Swans 2.0s at the office, so my outdoor use has been limited to checking to make sure I hadn't left it on. I bought a few of them so I just leave them where I need them. I'm definiteely keen on the aesthetics, but much like the PSP, they need to be handled with a certain amount of care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
What can I say Sleestack... all my E's are the same and I shot this the way I actually could see it with my eyes. I have to make like Quasimodo to see the display when outside most of the time. The Sony's are well made and have quite a heft in the hand. They do feel like quality items. But for how long? The clear cover is a scratch magnet and regular use will leave them looking quite tatty in a relatively short period of time.

Having said all that, the Sony's are better than many players with OLED displays. The iRiver N10 (which incidentally ships with a screen protector in place) for example is even more useless. I just don't think OLED's are ready for the big time yet. They have to get brighter and smarter (auto intensity adjustment).

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Simply put, in daylight the Sony turns into an overpriced iPod Shuffle
biggrin.gif

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? I think for what you get, the shuffle itself is overpriced, and not real useful unless all you want to do is shuffle your music.

On the other hand it does sound pretty good.

As to the sony 507 after having mine for several weeks now, i'm liking it overall despite sonic stage. The battery life is amazing, the FM tuner is good and so is the sound and i like the overall design.

I do have some screen visibility issues especially when I am in AZ and teh sun is directly over head, but even then it is still readable.

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

The OLED display is clear and crisp when indoors. At night, it's very noticeable. Outside in daylight, it's very noticeably poor when compared to the LCD displays of some iRivers/Creatives. On the whole, a backlit LCD has more consistent visibility in more situations than Sony OLED. But of course, it doesn't look as good and it hasn't got the 'it's OLED' geek appeal.

And not that I'm totally crapping on the Sony, but...
To transfer MP3 album (111Mb in total, time +/- a couple of seconds):
NW-E407 using No Conversion mode (i.e. direct transfer of an MP3 file): 3 minutes 10 seconds, one track did not transfer.
Current model USB 2.0 Creative Muvos: 48 seconds. The track which didn't transfer on the Sony played perfectly on the Muvos (and the iRivers).

I think that's all I've got to say about the Sony players. I'm really bowing out this time
biggrin.gif

My NW-E407 arrived around 2:00 yesterday. Not long afterwards I took it outside in direct and bright sunlight, and I had the same problem as you. I could make out that the screen was on, but had no chance of reading it whatsoever. However, when the screen is legible, it does nothing but impress.

I have been noticing slow copy times also. I used a different usb cable (which I thought was also USB2), so that may be it. I did not have any trouble with files not copying.

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
I have been noticing slow copy times also. I used a different usb cable (which I thought was also USB2), so that may be it. I did not have any trouble with files not copying.

Cables for USB and USB2 should be identical (ideally).

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by hongda
Cables for USB and USB2 should be identical (ideally).

Yes, forgot about that. The transfer times are just plain slow then
frown.gif

What is the display option in between the bubbles and dials? Mine is just a bunch of lines
confused.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Yes, forgot about that. The transfer times are just plain slow then
frown.gif

What is the display option in between the bubbles and dials? Mine is just a bunch of lines
confused.gif

Set the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back