New Sony Flash Players
May 5, 2005 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I didn't realize they were out in the U.S. until I was doing some internet browsing last night. I ordered 2 from ABT electronics. I should get them tomorrow. Look pretty cool to me:

l_nwe407.jpg

May 6, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 68
I was looking at them on the sony site awhile baxk. Very slick design. The black one sort of rminds me of the PSP. Write up a review for us when you get them!

May 6, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
I was looking at them on the sony site awhile baxk. Very slick design. The black one sort of rminds me of the PSP. Write up a review for us when you get them!

Ditto, there's only 1 review of this thing so far.

May 6, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 68
I definitely will. My basis for comparison will primarily be iPods: Shuffle, 6 gig Mini, 20 gig, 60 Gig Photo. I also had a Rio Nitrus for 3 months (before it died) and a JetAudio that I gave away after 1 week.

I bought the Sony purely based on aesthetics. I'll be happy if it sounds 1/2 as good as it looks. With only 1 gig, it won't be my main portable, but certainly good enough for the driving range.

May 11, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 68
Received the new Sony flash players yesterday. They sound slightly brighter than the iPods. No complaints about the sound quality. Plenty of volume.

I love the design. Not quite as dramatic as the Sony PSP, but definitely another fine example of product design. The controls take a bit of getting used to... and the buttons could be a bit larger. The display is crystal clear and well integrated.

It has almost the exact same width and length as the Shuffle, but is around 30% thicker. Nevertheless, small enough as far as I'm concerned. It feels like a beefy cigarette lighter.

I'm very pleased with the unit. Although I have iPods galore, portable amps, etc., I find that the bulk of almost all MP3 players, prevents me from using them as much as I would like. The Sony is a perfect size for me and has enough functionality to meet my portable needs. I'm ordering a 3rd one tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures for those interested in seeing its size v. the iPods and the screen.
DSC00621.JPG
DSC00623.JPG
DSC00635.JPG
DSC00632.JPG
DSC00633.JPG

May 11, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 68
Very nice pics. Is that the NW-E407? I'm doing my best to hold out for the E507, which has the FM tuner. Did it come with any sort of clip or band so you can easily wear it while exercising?

May 11, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by doclloyd
Very nice pics. Is that the NW-E407? I'm doing my best to hold out for the E507, which has the FM tuner. Did it come with any sort of clip or band so you can easily wear it while exercising?

Yes, that is the 407. It comes with a very small, thin clip. I'll try to post a picture of that later tonight for you.

May 11, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
How does the sound compare with the ipod shuffle? (using good head/earphones of course!)

I tried it with Etymotic ER4Ps, Shure E3cs and Sony SA500Os last night. The Shuffle seems to have a bit more muscle on the low end, but I would say that the sound quality is on par with the Shuffle. The Sony is a tad brighter.

May 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I tried it with Etymotic ER4Ps, Shure E3cs and Sony SA500Os last night. The Shuffle seems to have a bit more muscle on the low end, but I would say that the sound quality is on par with the Shuffle. The Sony is a tad brighter.

Thats interesting, I was expecting sony to have more bass, they usually have some sort of mega bass settings. Also I presume the UK sony units will be volume capped. The sony looks way cooler than the shuffle, but even if the shuffle sounds just slightly better, I'd get the shuffle.

May 12, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 68
Yikes. Retail is $180.00 for one of these suckers. What's the cheapest price around, out of curiosity? That looks like a nice player, though: it totally demolishes the ipod shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back