NEW! Sony Extra Bass MDR-XB600 & MDR-XB800 unboxing videos
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #46 of 77
Quote:
Sennheiser reference. 
beerchug.gif

Dang, I totally got that one right!  Wow! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #47 of 77
Quote:
So I spent some time with the XB700 & XB800.  I have to say that the XB800 sounds veil when compared.  The bass is a bit flabby, lack control.  The comfort level is not as high as the XB700 either.  I can't say it's a step up.  The only thing I see good about it is it's more portable, but it doesn't come with a case or pouch. 

Yeah when I saw your vid, it stood out to me as rather odd that Sony didn't throw in a pouch considering the headphones could fold... really seemed like portability was a selling point yet no pouch?  
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #48 of 77
Gave the XB600 & XB800 some ear time last night after over 24 hrs of break-in.  The XB800 is definitely the better buy in terms of sound.  It is a lot more open with smoother midrange.  Bass is boomier.  I feel the bass on the XB800 could be a bit more controlled.  Is the XB600 bad?  No, but the price increase from the Xb500 makes it harder to recommend.  

The vocals on this tracks sounds great on the XB800.  No, this girl in the video is NOT Sia.  I listened to the CD, not the YT video.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:
So how many days minimum before we expect a full review

I see a ton of interest in these new XB and how it compares to the old.  I will move the review up the list so it ships sooner.  Thank you for your support.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:
Great one more to strike off the list:

Denon AH-D400
Denon AH-D600
BeyerDynamic Custom One
Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR-XB800
Sony MDR-1R
V-Moda M100
AKG K267 Tiesto
PSB M4U 1
Audio Technica ATH-WS99
Yamaha Pro 500
Spider Moonlight

xD

My highest hopes still reside in M100 & 1R followed by AKG K267 Tiesto.

What was it about the Custom One's that you didn't like? I just got them in a few days ago and the jury is still out for me but what did you hear (or didn't hear) that made you cross them off of your list.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

What was it about the Custom One's that you didn't like? I just got them in a few days ago and the jury is still out for me but what did you hear (or didn't hear) that made you cross them off of your list.

Actually I've added them back to the list after recent measurements popping up, the level 3 bass boost looks quite nice to me, I'm slightly worried about around-1kHz slight midrange recession but it doesn't look too bad and much better than the infamous DT770.

So many great headphones about to be released atm so I try to only go for whatever gets the best feedback along with the to me nicest looking measurements for my taste, the Beyers initially didn't recieve that appealing feedback in the Beyer Custom One thread but the recent reviews on both innerfidelity and headphone.com brought it back to the list for me, I know what kind of sound and balance I want so measurements are very useful to me but ofc there's stuff that can't be fully judged from those either so need to combine with reviews too.

Altough those who disliked Custom One were Sennheiser HD25 fans which is a different sounding headphone which I personally don't think fits me soundwise for me so have to take personal tastes into account too, for me the "muddier" Beyer would probably be more appealing than HD25 for example. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #53 of 77
Quote:

Actually I've added them back to the list after recent measurements popping up, the level 3 bass boost looks quite nice to me, I'm slightly worried about around-1kHz slight midrange recession but it doesn't look too bad and much better than the infamous DT770.

So many great headphones about to be released atm so I try to only go for whatever gets the best feedback along with the to me nicest looking measurements for my taste, the Beyers initially didn't recieve that appealing feedback in the Beyer Custom One thread but the recent reviews on both innerfidelity and headphone.com brought it back to the list for me, I know what kind of sound and balance I want so measurements are very useful to me but ofc there's stuff that can't be fully judged from those either so need to combine with reviews too.

Altough those who disliked Custom One were Sennheiser HD25 fans which is a different sounding headphone which I personally don't think fits me soundwise for me so have to take personal tastes into account too, for me the "muddier" Beyer would probably be more appealing than HD25 for example. 

I hear ya and so far I'm starting to love them. First thing you notice right when you put them on is the comfort and how light they are. I still haven't fully broken them in but honestly who knows if the sound will change but time will tell. But I totally get it, I've been through so many headphones the past year trying to find my perfect sound signature and of course I still haven't found it so in the mean time I wanted a portable full size can for on the go and home use and I like what I first read about the Custom One's and I was interested in the new Sony XB's which is why I'm here in the first place. The XB500 in all its muddy glory was still a super fun headphone and perfect for when I'm in a DUb type of mood so I was hoping the new ones will bring that same level of enjoyment but the reviews are saying otherwise.. I love the new look of the XB series but it isn't surprising what Sony is doing here. The last series were probably the ugliest headphones on the market and you were limited to keeping them in the house so Sony "style" decided to completely overhaul the design of the very popular cans and they did a great job. But yet again they are missing the point. People bought those headphones because of what they were not how they looked and now they are entering the Beats camps with more style than substance and that is a shame.. Now I do believe the XB800 will be a decent pair and should deliver great bass and decent sound stage but the price hike will turn most off and if they aren't going to be a complete upgrade then whats the point?? I hope companies out there will understand that headphones are more than just fashion accessories and that they do need to sound good or at least be about something.. I'll wait for more before I buy or what the hell I can always buy review and send back to Amazon if I don't like them.. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #55 of 77
I don't think it will take long before the XB600 can be had for like $70 though, usually Sony MSRP pricing and the lowest street pricing differs quite a bit, maybe not so at launch but wait some months, I don't think they should discontinue XB500 though, they seem to be so different so it's worth keeping both IMO.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #57 of 77
Hey Wizard i just had a look at your list and was stunned by the ath-ws99 is this the big brother of the ws55....? was maybe going to buy the sony mdr 1R or is this ws99 going to be the better choice...? what do you think...? grtz

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #58 of 77
Quote:
how is the xb800s compared to the xb500s? i really like the bass in the xb500s. does the xb800 have more punch to it's bass? 

I would like to know this too. Hope they don't sound like the XB700, since I prefered the XB500.

How about the treble? Do the highs sound natural/real like the more expensive phones? (XB800 only, i just want to know about the XB800).

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #59 of 77
Quote:
how is the xb800s compared to the xb500s? i really like the bass in the xb500s. does the xb800 have more punch to it's bass? 

Quote:
I would like to know this too. Hope they don't sound like the XB700, since I prefered the XB500.

So far on what I've heard the new xb600's are not worth the money but the new 800's have a comparable sound to the old 500's. Still begs the question, why not just buy the 500 for almost $100 less and get a more enjoyable sound?? If you want another option for a bass heavy can I would look to the M-Audio Q40's. They have bass that rivals the 500's but its a lot cleaner, less forced,  and you wont look as goofy if you took them out in public. Sound wise it would be a joke to compare the two. I've owned them both and its no contest. The xb500's are super fun cans but once you get over the first impressions its like now what?? The Q40's are super basshead cans that have real quality sound throughout the entire field of sound not just in the bottom end. The only downfall is that they have the strongest clamping force I have ever experienced in a headphone so it will take some time to lossen them up to make it to where they are wearable for longer than half an hour. Plus the pads are not the most supporting pads in the world so those will need to be changed too. But all in all they are still vastly better than the XB line of headphones and for just over $100 they are def worth the look.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #60 of 77
I tried the x10 and from what I heard thought the x10 rolled off the highs compared to the xb700. The bass on the x10 compared to the xb700 was only slightly better 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back