NEW Sony EX90LP
Jul 9, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #106 of 119
The EX90 leaks enough that a person next to you may hear what song you are playing if your volume is high enough, but an open can like the KSC75 will leak enough that at the same volume they may hear what song you are playing in the next room.

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #108 of 119
I have never listened to sony EX90LP but my Sony EX71sl sucks! Sennheiser CX300 gives very good isolation, good sound quality and only 49.99$ at B & H. It has good balanced sound with good soundstage. Mids are not recessed too.

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #109 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I would not place the EX90 above the E3c when you consider the superior cord build quality of the e3's. Does anyone have any extended use reviews of the EX90 to prove otherwise?

I heard that several people are having problems with the cable. Judging from many pictures, I assume these are not much better than the EX71SL cables.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #110 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I heard that several people are having problems with the cable. Judging from many pictures, I assume these are not much better than the EX71SL cables.

I for one had problems with my e2c cable (although Im not certain if its the same as the 3c). The oils in my skin behind my ears made the cable turn brittle and it just cracked and crumbled apart one day. Upon further inspection the copper wire inside the cable was COMPLETELY corroded and tarnished. Not certain what effect this had on the sound, but it certainly was not OFC copper in there. Again... I am not certain if its the same cable as the 3c (or other shure phones for that matter).

Not sure if the EX90 cable is any better... time will tell.

EX90 is Heads / shoulders better than the EX51/71... in just about every way except isolation.
Garrett

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #111 of 119
EX90 is Heads / shoulders better than the EX51/71... in just about every way except isolation.
Garrett[/QUOTE]

I am really struggling to keep my ex90. I lke them so much, except isolation. I struggle not to return them and choose the ety 6i, just because of isolation issues. Because nothing remains from the good sound quality once you go out as the ex90 does not isolate.
I have tried the silicon tips of my ep630 and cresyn lmx E630 (not a good phone) but nothing changes for better.
The last thing I am going to try is to buy a pair of sound isolating ear tips from the nearest drugstore, just to see if I can do any better with those. I do not want to buy dedicated shure or etymotic ear tips as 1. I do not know wheter they will match the ex90 and 2. they are too expensive, I would rather buy the etys for this price ( headphones 75 Euro plus eartips 15 Euro !!!)

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #112 of 119
No, unforunately I was convinced that the construction of the ex90 is what does not allow good isolation, and not the silicon tips. No matter what you do, nothing changes for better. I even bought tripple flanges, just the same as for etymotic, but made to isolate while working in noisy environments. I tried them and they isolated really good. After I brought them to the ex90 ( after some minor adjustments) and they just fixed beatufully, the isolation was not even a notch better. I suppose that the tiny holes on the upper and lower ends ( if it could be called an end) on the outside of the ex90 are the main suspects for the poor isolation. For me this is a deal breaker. With the ep630 I can enjoy my music better than with the ex90 when I am outside. When at home, or when the environment is not that noisy, there is simply no room for camparisson.
The ex90 are going back...too bad, as the sound is really good
frown.gif
I am sad
Could some one suggest an alternative solution which won't cost more than 100 $? Other than ety 6i? By the way is the difference between ety 6i and the former ety 6 that big in terms of bass and output?

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #113 of 119
In Vancouver, B.C. Canada, since the EX90 is about $135 (U.S.) and the Grado SR60 is about the same price, (and since I would only use them at home, not outside), I'm now wondering if the Grado SR60 is the better choice; (most people think the SR60 is better than the KSC-75). However, maybe I should wait and see what the new Grado "street" headphone is like that is expected by some people to be released this September?

Nov 6, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #114 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
In Vancouver, B.C. Canada, since the EX90 is about $135 (U.S.)

Actually if you are in Vancouver, you can get the headphone from NCIX for about $91 CND.

(I know it's kind of a late reply but I just stumbled upon this thread a few days ago).

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #115 of 119
Has anyone here had the chance to listen to the Bose Triport IE model along with these Ex90's?

I was deciding between these two at Best Buy several days ago and decided to go with the Bose. I like the sound quality of them (after messing around with my eq settings on my iPod) but I'm not really in love with them. They don't provide the greatest fit in the world.

My biggest beef with the Ex 71's was that anytime a hard "S" was hit (practically in any Coldplay song) the sound was almost like nails on a chalkboard. I imagine that isn't a problem with these.

Other than that I loved my 71's. Do these provide as comfortable fit as those?

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #117 of 119
Thought I'd bump this old thread for all you with a wad of Christmas $$$ burning a hole in your cargo pants.

First off, I have a Jayes D-jay, various koss 60 ohm cans, modded plug, e2c, SR60/40, FX33 and borrowed a PK2 from nankai for a month. All are very good portable cans at the $100 or less mark, and have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have to say, after half a year with the EX90 and its all said and done.... the EX90 has somehow become my favorite portable can. It has managed to quietly climb up my can-ladder and position itsewlf at the top of my portable-lineup. Its more open sounding than any IEM in its price range. It packs enough bass kick to come close to a modded KSC75. It cant touch the KSC75 in terms of spatial image separation, but it makes up for that with a more focused sound that really pulls you into the music. It also doesn't have the lower midrange recession of the KSC75, so its warmer and less harsh... while still retaining detail.

How's it stack up against the SR60? Ooh tough call for this die hard Gradohead
confused.gif
confused.gif
As a portable, I find the SR60 just doesn't have the isolation. The LOVELY Grado bass slam gets lost and sinks like a lead balloon in a sea of background commuting noise. The EX90's slight isolation is just enough to keep the music in and the noise out.

The really nice thing about the EX90 is that it can easily be modded to fine tune the taste. Want BASS+isolation? Seal up the enclosure vents with masking tape. Want more mids?... remove the foam and cloth tube cover. Shweeeet!!

Out of the box, the upper mids are a bit recessed, compared to its stellar treble response. But thats where the de-foam mod comes in to bring those mids in line with the treble.

I found them to scale up very well with amplification too IMHO the bass tightens up a little with my pimeta. But thats relative to my unamped sources. So, I even use them at home with my pimeta.

The EX90 is the ONLY in-ear headphone I have used that doesn't significantly change its sound signature the deeper you RAM it into your skull. I use medium tips and just place it gently against my ear and its an airtight seal. Hands down the most comfortable in-ear I have used.

Thanks and happy listening!!

Dec 26, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #118 of 119
These have become my favorite "take-em-anywhere" 'phones as well. I actually prefer them to my Etys these days. Coupled with a Nano, they make a particularly nice ultra portable system. Most of the time I use mine unamped.

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #119 of 119
got mine. very nice. wide sound field for a canal phone. the music sounds like they come from headphones placed on your ears, and not inside my ear canals. no sibilance. not a bass fest. balanced and sweet. good job sony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back