NEW Sony EX90LP
May 16, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #91 of 119
Just as an update, I did end up returning my EX90's. The main reason was that for me to get a decent sound, I did have to insert them deeply so that they sealed. This made my ears ache too much after any amount of time, and yes I tried all of the different sizes settling on the largest.

Too bad, it's probably that I'm just not an IEM type person. These were my first pair, so comfortwise I couldn't compare them with others.

May 16, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #92 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
Just as an update, I did end up returning my EX90's. The main reason was that for me to get a decent sound, I did have to insert them deeply so that they sealed. This made my ears ache too much after any amount of time, and yes I tried all of the different sizes settling on the largest.

Too bad, it's probably that I'm just not an IEM type person. These were my first pair, so comfortwise I couldn't compare them with others.

thats too bad... Im really enjoying mine. Im not an IEM guy either. At lease the shure e2c and e3c irritated my ears too much. I prefer the sonys (EX51/71/90) as far as comfort goes, they seem to exert much less pressure on my ear canals. Although they isolate FAR less than IEMs.

I consider the EX90 (and all the other EX phones for that matter) more of a consumer-grade canalphone than a pro-audio IEM.

Garrett

May 20, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #93 of 119
Initial impressions: very impressed!

Packaging for me was a cheap paper box, like the kind action figures come in :*( NO sexy Nude box for US !!

Carrying pouch is a nice addition considering ex90's are so expensive but I'm more inclined to stick them in a padded altoids can or something more convenient.

Build quality is top notch, not sure what all of the "bad" wire complaints are about.

Sound is very impressive. In the Sony line they remind me of the eggo d66 with great detail and pleasant mids. The ex90's are not overly bright like many of Sony's lower end offerings, the bass is also fairly tight unlike the boomy ex51. I'd definitely rate these above the Shure e2c and all lower Sony buds. As someone had said earlier the ex90's are very efficient, they benefitted very little when plugged into the Gilmore Lite and sounded great straight out of the 5g ipod.

I'm not too sure as to how much these things leak sound but they seem like they do to a moderate degree.

They look a little goofy in the pictures but are actually quite nice once in your hands.

May 21, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #94 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
How do people that think the EX series are fragile and break too often do to the phones?.

After less than 6mos of use my EX81's gave out in the left ear. The right cord's jacket was also broken on the joint between the earclip and the wire, so it was a matter of time for that side, too. Usage was ~20min/day, 5 days/wk. (I use Sennheiser 580s at home, and Koss 35-clips on 75 enclosures for exercise; the Sonys were just for commuting. Basically, they went from mantle to my ears to the top of my desk and then backwards from that pattern.)

In retrospect, it was a good thing, because it led me back to this website and onto Altety 716's, which improve on the EX81 so markedly as to make any comparison meaningless. And now those are 70% the price (less, counting tax) than the EX90's...

May 23, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #95 of 119
I just added these cans to my arsenal. I needed something easy to wear when I don't want to use IEM's. There's something to be said for the ease of popping these things in and out of your ear easily when you don't need sound isolation.

First impressions: a marked improvement over EX71 and EX81's. Bass is relatively balanced, the highs are a bit tizzy at times and there is a bit of uppper midrange emphasis. Bass isn't very detailed. All this may change with more break-in of course, I barely have an hour on them. But I like 'em so far to give them a chance.

The real plus is the comfort, they fit great on me.

May 24, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #96 of 119
OK I ended up keeping the EX90s. I had them in the car to return, but kept using them "just one more time" at the gym until I missed the return date - but I did this on purpose.

Initially I preferred the sound of the PX100s, but for the gym, I had to play the 100's too loud to compete with the noise. The EX90's did enough sound blocking that I can have them on much lower volumes. Also there's the vanity thing: The Ex90's look really cool, upscale and discrete with their small brushed aluminum piece. The white PX100's don't look terrible, but for someone middle aged, they are still pretty dorky looking. The 90s are more distinguished.

Lastly, I always thought they sounded limp for classical music, but listening yesterday to a Beethoven Cello and Piano recording they sounded fantastic. Break appearently went forward another notch. For me, now they sound very similar to the PX100s. The last advantage is how easy they are to carry around in any pocket.

I'm now very glad I kept them.

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #99 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Does the Sony EX90LP leak sound no matter what you do or only when they
are placed in the ear a certain way? If they leak any sound, I can't use them.

Consider them an open earbud, not an IEM.

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #100 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Consider them an open earbud, not an IEM.

So if somebody was sitting next to me in a library the sound leaking out
might disturb them?

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #101 of 119
Hi Dr Sade ( and all!)

The "leakage" is exactly the problem I was getting at home with the ex90's. In a very quiet room - at quite low volumes too - my family were disturbed by the ( slight) noise/hiss/tick whatever which they could hear from my phones. I dont think it's anything to do with "fit" in the ear. The "tube" part ( for me ) forms a good seal but the " bud" bit is just lying flat in/on the ear and that's obviously where the "leak" comes from. ( I think an early poster tried to "cover" the holes in the buds to just leave sound coming out of the "tube" bit - but whilst solving leakage - seriously compromised the sound!)

Having said that - I've got to say I've grown to love the sound of these ex90's massively!! Maybe it's exactly because of the "odd" design that the sound is so good - I'm not great with "audio" words(!) - but they sound so rich/open/warm - i've heard others talk about a "wide soundstage" and ( if I understand correctly) they seem to give that. My phones previous to ex90 were(are!) 6i's - massive isolation ( both "in" and "out" ) very nice sound ( to me) still love them a lot etc etc . But ex90's are so easy to pop in and out, love the sound etc find myself reaching for them whenever outdoors walking,running,bus,trains etc. I use the 6is indoors now for occasional "serious" listening ( or when family in same room ) ( I guess for a library it would be the 6is also!!! )

Some early posters worried re cords etc. These seem very well made ( little/no microphonics (?) - the aluminium etc is built like a tank and very very sexy looking (!) IMHO........... cant praise them enough!! Especially at the price too!! ( I paid 59gbp at Ask Electronics London). I'm one happy ex90 owner.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #102 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite
Hi Dr Sade ( and all!)

The "leakage" is exactly the problem I was getting at home with the ex90's. In a very quiet room - at quite low volumes too ... I dont think it's anything to do with "fit" in the ear. The "tube" part ( for me ) forms a good seal but the " bud" bit is just lying flat in/on the ear and that's obviously where the "leak" comes from. ( I think an early poster tried to "cover" the holes in the buds to just leave sound coming out of the "tube" bit - but whilst solving leakage - seriously compromised the sound!)

........... cant praise them enough!! Especially at the price too!! ( I paid 59gbp at Ask Electronics London). I'm one happy ex90 owner.

Thank you very much! You answered my question precisely.

I will use the EX90LP in non library situations and the Sennheiser CX300
in the library.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #103 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
So if somebody was sitting next to me in a library the sound leaking out
might disturb them?

certainly ... but only if you listen loud enough.

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #104 of 119
In Vancouver Sony stores the EX90LP is currently selling for $150 Canadian
(about $135 U.S.). Since the EX90LP leaks sound anyway, I was wondering
if I should get a Koss KSC-75 or KSC-35 instead. Maybe a KSC-75
sounds better and is way cheaper and just as comfortable? Some people
are saying the KSC-35 is now being made in China and, due to quality control
issues, doesn't sound as good as it used to (I haven't read otherwise yet).

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #105 of 119
I bet the Koss ksc75, although sounding very sweet indeed, is not comparable to the sony. The sony leaks, yeah, but not to compare with a standard phone. It surely leaks a lot less. And very important: the sonys isolate much better than the ksc 75, trust me. Of course they do not come even close to the much cheaper ep60 from Creative in terms of isolation, but with the koss it is almost impossible to enjoy your tunes while being outside. Unfortunately, a lot of the sony's advantages in terms of sound quality get also washed away as soon as a car goes by. Not to talk about a train journey ( called S-Bahn in Germany). And in Hamburg there are lots of cars and trains.

But I really , really liked my Koss ksc 75 very much, especially for the price. But the mdr ex90 is still a much better phone in every aspect besides price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back