New Shure IEM
May 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #31 of 204
Quote:
well its not a bad connector, but personally i found thart over time the swivel has too much swivel causing shorts in the sound. i found when the swivel swivels too much and then it causes shorts, you need to take the earpiece off the connector and reconnect it and the swivel gets tighter. however the problem is when theres too much swivel and you have to keep taking off and putton on. it causes even more wear between the earpiece and the connector of the cable. thus you chasing your tail and causing the problem to become more and more present.

now you could atribute this to trying out different removeable cables and the headphone connection becoming loose. but still this just shouldnt happen for headphones or iems this expensive.

dont get me wrong the 535 and reds are really great i loved mine. but just feel that when you spend that kind of money i dont want a reason for something to go wrong. more R &d i feel is needed. its a great cable its a great idea but just didnt come out as good as it should.

yeah, the swiveling of the mmcx connectors causes shorts/statics. More or less, there are dirt inside the pins so I try to clean it with contton buds and presto! They're good to go. Yeah, I feel you too. If ever I would buy an item with a high price tag, I would expect that they are perfect. I don't have shure though, just the same experience with these kind of connectors :)

I would be surprised if it's a hybrid. Haha :)

May 3, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #32 of 204
I sure do hope that it is under $500 but that will be highly unlikely. IMO, the 535 is quite overpriced. In fact, listening to my Brainwavz B2 and my friend's Shure SE535, i actually preferred my B2 slightly and the Shure costs over twice as much. 

May 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #33 of 204
Quote:
I sure do hope that it is under $500 but that will be highly unlikely. IMO, the 535 is quite overpriced. In fact, listening to my Brainwavz B2 and my friend's Shure SE535, i actually preferred my B2 slightly and the Shure costs over twice as much. 

I agree. the problem with shure is that they seemed to have exploited their fanbase by making the shure 535. how do i mean? well they created the se535 bronze and clears THEN they created a slightly better version the se535-ltd-j, which IMO the bronze and clears should have came with the better high extensions, but instead they decided to have the bronze and clears roll off and then create a iem that conveniently doesnt have this problem...what am i getting at. well hopefully the new shures dont come out inferior then come out with a design that SLIGHTLY improves over that design. of which it should have came like off bat.

kind of like apple does. they come out with the apple 4 phone, then come out with the 4s which is only by standard marginally superior over the 4. yet forces you to go ''upgrade'' to see a slightly marginal difference, only for them to drop the iphone 5.

i just dont like this game MFG play with comsumers.

May 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #34 of 204
I wouldn't say the ltd is better than the standard. It's a different sound signature, not a superior sound signature. I tried them on holiday and I definitely prefer my standard set.
The fact they're only available in asia shows they weren't trying to get people to buy both sets.

May 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 204
The obsession with driver count here continues to astound me.

My guess is that Shure would not be doing teaser ads for a new quad. I'm expecting something different and significant. Not my place to speculate, but as a former Shure employee, I have my suspicions...

May 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 204
Quote:
The obsession with driver count here continues to astound me.

My guess is that Shure would not be doing teaser ads for a new quad. I'm expecting something different and significant. Not my place to speculate, but as a former Shure employee, I have my suspicions...

Regardless of driver count, I do find this pretty interesting as the 500 series has been their flagship since oh, 2005 or so, and the various tweaks over the years still have it placed as a contender in its price bracket which is rather remarkable.  I remember on Head-fi how long that took to develop and the uproar/excitement it produced at the time.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this develops.

May 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #37 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem with sound dropping out or what you refer to as "shorts" is due to the connectors needing cleaning; I have to clean mine about every four months. Once cleaned, no amount of swiveling will cause the drop out or "short" ...

Toothpick, napkin and alcohol is all you need to solve the dirty connector problem.

Otherwise, I'm super curious about these as well...

Is that always the case?  I had the 500 and then years then later got the 535 on upgrade after the cables gave out.  Within days after first using the 535 the left connector would randomly cut out when turning my head more than 45 degrees or so.  I removed, cleaned it, put it back on several times (even swapping channels), all to no avail, eventually giving up and sending back for another warranty replacement which I didn't even bother opening to sell.  In my case I felt it was more a matter of needing tighter tolerances for such a design.  For most it's probably not an issue, but history on this site indicates there have been far too many problems with it.

May 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 204
Quote:

Is that always the case?  I had the 500 and then years then later got the 535 on upgrade after the cables gave out.  Within days after first using the 535 the left connector would randomly cut out when turning my head more than 45 degrees or so.  I removed, cleaned it, put it back on several times, eventually giving up and sending back for another warranty replacement which I didn't even bother opening to sell.  In my case I felt it was more a matter of needing tighter tolerances for such a design.  For most it's probably not an issue, but history on this site indicates there have been far too many problems with it.

You probably had some dust or residue from the cable.  I can give you a 99.9% guarantee that that was it.  Just because the residue isn't visible to your eye doesn't mean its not there.  I had the same thing with my initial UE 900 when I got it.  Got an IEM cleaning tool, used the brush and brushed all the manufacturing residue off.  I'm sure the same thing happened to your connectors.  Note that you have to clean both the male and female jacks on the outside and inside. After that, I used the UE 900 for a month without issue.  Logitech still wanted to swap mine out though, so I complied.

May 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #39 of 204
Quote:

You probably had some dust or residue from the cable.  I can give you a 99.9% guarantee that that was it.  Just because the residue isn't visible to your eye doesn't mean its not there.  I had the same thing with my initial UE 900 when I got it.  Got an IEM cleaning tool, used the brush and brushed all the manufacturing residue off.  I'm sure the same thing happened to your connectors.  Note that you have to clean both the male and female jacks on the outside and inside. After that, I used the UE 900 for a month without issue.  Logitech still wanted to swap mine out though, so I complied.

When you say residue, do you mean some sort of oils/cleaners they may have used from the factory?  I gave the connector a good brushing and swapped channels to rule out the issue being the cable (it was definitely the left driver).  I don't know if I did everything possible though.

I'd like to think the design is solid after so many years, but that experience left me very nervous about buying another IEM with this design.  Despite the other build issues with the 900, this was pretty much the reason I decided to stay away. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #40 of 204
Quote:

When you say residue, do you mean some sort of oils/cleaners they may have used from the factory?  I gave the connector a good brushing and swapped channels to rule out the issue being the cable (it was definitely the left driver).  I don't know if I did everything possible though.

I'd like to think the design is solid after so many years, but that experience left me very nervous about buying another IEM with this design.  Despite the other build issues with the 900, this was pretty much the reason I decided to stay away. 

That's exactly what I mean by residue yes.  Even switching the cables (left and right) you still can't rule out that the female joint has residue that is creating a connection problem.  It took a little while for me to clean it completely.  The cable issue(s) were the main problems with the UE 900.  People reported distortion, but I have been unable to reproduce those.  Most complaints about the 900s have died down. 

May 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #43 of 204
Wow....active thread.

1. The simple problem with the swivel connector is that it is exposed to air and moisture versus all other connectors being completely airtight sealed.  Just asking for a problem to occur.  One way this could have been dealt with is if Shure made the plasic connector portion on the male piece completely overlap the entire connection so no metal is exposed.  This would greatly help to lock out moisture.
  2. # of crossovers is just as overated as number of drivers.  The 2-way crossovers sound much more cohesive.
  3. SE535 Ltd is not better than SE535.  I believe it has less bass which would surely be a negative.  Treble could be too much for many causing fatigue.

May 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #44 of 204
Quote:
Wow....active thread.

1. The simple problem with the swivel connector is that it is exposed to air and moisture versus all other connectors being completely airtight sealed.  Just asking for a problem to occur.  One way this could have been dealt with is if Shure made the plasic connector portion on the male piece completely overlap the entire connection so no metal is exposed.  This would greatly help to lock out moisture.
  2. # of crossovers is just as overated as number of drivers.  The 2-way crossovers sound much more cohesive.
  3. SE535 Ltd is not better than SE535.  I believe it has less bass which would surely be a negative.  Treble could be too much for many causing fatigue.

Can't argue with that statement about the connector.  The solution, however, is not to make it airtight, there is no such thing as air tight.  Even normal connectors aren't airtight and can still corrode.  Ever see those copper, greening cables?  You'd think the cable is airtight, but it's not.  The solution, however, would be to make the contacts gold plated.  Resists corrosion and lasts longer due to that. 

May 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #45 of 204
I'm sure they are gold plated or they would corrode and stop working within a few weeks.  We will just never know if they are just hit with a flash of gold or they actually put 20 or so microns on them.

It would be suicide to NOT gold plate an open connector on a $500 IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back