New Shure IEM/mobile phone solutions
Jan 11, 2006 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

wowie11

100+ Head-Fier
So, I was wandering in my local Fry's Electronics to see what other gadget that I didn't need that I was going to get next, when I ran into these interesting gizmos:

Sorry for the bad photos, but I only had my camera phone on me so they look terrible. They seem to be the E2, E3, and E4 series from Shure, with a mobile phone microphone/music attenuator attached to it and renamed i2C, i3C, and i4C respectively. Looks like Shure is trying to get into larger consumer space with this and the push to hear module that they are adding to their line. I've been looking for one of these and something like the push to talk combo, so that I wouldn't have to take off my IEm's everytime my phone rang or someone was asking for directions in San Francisco, hopefully they'll come out with these things in a separate and less expensive package. BTW these puppies were really pricy at Fry's...$50 premium on each of the E-series IEM's.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 23
I believe the new cellphone models come in two versions only at this point. They are basically just stereo hands-free units.

One is designed to work with Treo 650 PDA/cellphones, and the other has a dual-connector for plugging into a generic cellphone & a music player separately. The latter is similiar in concept to (but better sound quality than) the Skullcandy models.

Unfortunately, neither model works with my Motorola ROKR
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I believe the new cellphone models come in two versions only at this point. They are basically just stereo hands-free units.

One is designed to work with Treo 650 PDA/cellphones, and the other has a dual-connector for plugging into a generic cellphone & a music player separately. The latter is similiar in concept to (but better sound quality than) the Skullcandy models.

Unfortunately, neither model works with my Motorola ROKR
frown.gif

Actually, I saw all three at Fry's: the I2C, I3C, and the I4C. You're right...these are basically the stereo hands-free units. I have seen a few cheap versions of these around; these are the first paired with high quality IEM's.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
Actually, I saw all three at Fry's: the I2C, I3C, and the I4C.

There's actually six versions. Each model (I2, I3, & I4) comes in a Treo version, and a dual-connector version.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
There's actually six versions. Each model (I2, I3, & I4) comes in a Treo version, and a dual-connector version.

Oh cool...what are the differences between the treo versions and the dual connector versions?

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
Oh cool...what are the differences between the treo versions and the dual connector versions?

Treo model uses a single 2.5mm connector (you will see three "bands" on it). The dual connector has both a standard 2.5mm connector for the cell phone, and a 3.5mm connector for the headphone jack.

I tried the Treo version with my Samsung A900 phone, but it didn't work.

-Ed

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
This and the PtH device seem to be the same technology, I wonder if Shure has the patents on the concept, or will we see more of this type gear.

PTH is not exactly the same. There isn't currently the ability to be able to hook up to a cellphone yet.

Yet.

wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
What is PTH? Push To Hear? What is that?

Basically a box with a switch that allows you to switch between a microphone and music. You end up hearing the outside world via the microphone.

-Ed

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the reply. So it's just made specifically for devices that can be used for music and phone too? You are listening to mp3's, then you get a call and you push a button to switch to phone mode? Does it activate a special mode on your device? Like pushing the button automatically mutes all other applications and then lets the phone audio through?

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. So it's just made specifically for devices that can be used for music and phone too? You are listening to mp3's, then you get a call and you push a button to switch to phone mode? Does it activate a special mode on your device? Like pushing the button automatically mutes all other applications and then lets the phone audio through?

There are two different devices that are being conversed about here. One is the push to hear (PTH) which, AFAIK, is for use when listening to music with your IEM's and you want to hear outside noise (someone speaking to you or other ambient noises). It works by enabling an online microphone that sends the sound into your IEM's allowing you to hear these noises without taking off your IEM's.
The other technology that is under dialogue is the mobile phone versions of the Shure E-series IEM's named I2C, I3C, and I4C. Apparently they come in two distinct versions - one with a 2.5mm jack which looks like is made specifically for the Treo, and another with both 2.5mm jack (for mobile phone) and 3.5mm jack for DAP's. This technology is to allow you to receive phone calls through your IEM's, by combining them with an onboard microphone which effectively turns it into a stereophonic headset. Hope that helps!
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 23
wowie - This helps tremendously. Your explanation was very clear. One last question - For the Shure IEM's being discussed, if you get the version with both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm pins, does that mean you are carrying both a MP3 player and a cell phone? Literally, 2 products plugged in?

And if you get the Treo version, then it's one device and one plug?

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

wowie - This helps tremendously. Your explanation was very clear. One last question - For the Shure IEM's being discussed, if you get the version with both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm pins, does that mean you are carrying both a MP3 player and a cell phone? Literally, 2 products plugged in?

And if you get the Treo version, then it's one device and one plug?

I haven't had a chance to play with them, just had a good look at the package and it's contents. Maybe someone who has experience in these new Shure models can comment, but from what I saw, i think you are absolutely right, the dual connector is meant to connect both the mp3 player and phone at the same time, that way, you can take the phone call with the unit automatically attenuating the music and you receiving the sound through the IEM's. Since the Treo has music (and video) playing capabilities, the need for an external mp3 player is negated, although I think the music output from a Treo, which is not a dedicated music player, would be suspect at best.
Great stuff from Shure though...at least they are trying to be innovative. I know if they made the dual connector module available separately and at a low price, that I would definitely pick one up. Such an enormous pain to have to keep on taking off my UM2's in order to take phone calls. Ditto with the PTH, which I would probably end up daisy chaining with the mobile phone module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back