New Shure E4C owner. Some Questions for y'all
Apr 20, 2006 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

iamnoone

New Head-Fier
Just got them today. WOW. They sound really good despite my crappy source. Samsung DAP/Onboard PC Audio VIA Envy Chipset.
I was hoping for more bass. I rolled the dice on the shure against the ue superfi5.pro. I guess I lost although the jury is still out. I am hoping that with some burnin, the bass will appear little by little.
So, you guys got any burn in advice for these things? I read in here that IEM's don't really benefit from burnin and some here say that they do.
Also, will amping the E4C bring out the bass?
And I hear "crackling" when i am adjusting the equalizer in foobar on the PC.

I have some additional plans with my money (DAMN YOU HEADFI)

I'm thinking of getting a set of sennheisers, a portaphile maxxed or hornet, and the UE superfi5pro if the bass doesn't come out of these things.

You guys weren't kidding about kissing your wallet goodbye.

Thanks for any feedback.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 29
i'm considering upgrading from my e3 to a pair of 5pros
as well as buying a pair of open, circumaural cans

and i'm saying to myself that i'm content with my amp and ipod...for my wallet's sake

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 29
I "think" that a more coloured amp such as the PA2V2 should help it, but not really sure. I'm getting my PA2V2 this week, and I can see if they do make a difference to the bass or not.
And the E4s (or any canalphones for that matter) do not go through physical burn-in, since they are balaced armature drivers. Most of the burn-in, I think, happen at the psychological level, and getting used to the sound signature of the IEMs.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 29
Sorry about your E4c. They have plenty of bass coming out of my Audigy2 ZS and my X-Fi Xtreme Music. Bass is OK coming out of my iPod - it is there, but it isn't basshead bass (which isn't a BAD thing).

I've heard an amp will help with the bass.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 29
Ah, that would make sense if i knew what the armature thingamajig was
smily_headphones1.gif

But I understand the psychological theory though.

I will await your comments on your amp. You have the E4C?

methinks I'll get the HD555 in the meantime.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 29
I was sceptical of the Shure "foamies" but give the foamies a try. All the other tips with the E4 seem to pale by comparison. I've owned the E4s for about two weeks and bass is no problem if you use the foamies and follow Shure's procedures (from their website) for putting them in.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 29
my portable rig Zen Sleek > PA2V2 > E4 has a real nice bass response. the key is a really good seal. i'm one of the few who actually prefer their gray tips. when i pull these suckers out its like a suction cup letting go the seal is so good.

keep in mind, you won't get deep booming bass but nice tight present bass is achievable. i love 'em!
etysmile.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
my portable rig Zen Sleek > PA2V2 > E4 has a real nice bass response. the key is a really good seal. when i pull these suckers out its like a suction cup letting go the seal is so good.

I second the seal thing. When I got my E4's I was the same, thought the bass lacking and everyone kept on going on about the seal. I thought I had it but once I juggled about with the tip, moistened it, got it sealed in nicely and the bass improved a lot.

I now own Superfi 5's and UM2's and it's the same story (though the UM2's are currently my fav for great bass).

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 29
just make sure you have a very good seal.
for me its the tri flanges cut down to bi flanges by cutting the smallest flange which gives me the best seal. i wet my flanges before insertion..its amazing when a proper seal is achieved what these babies can sound like.
for others its foamies.
second i think you'll find the E4Cs are very neutral which is a good thing not colored in any way..so they respond good to amping yes and EQing with applying more bass in the lower freq's it can really bring out the bass very well.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 29
Hey guys, tell me if this is possible.

I used the middle sized flex sleeve initially and got what I think is a good seal. Because when i take them out, I get the whole suction effect like it wants to pull my ear drum out with it. That's the sign of a good seal right? So I decide to try the smaller tips as I was just giddy about trying everything. To my surprise, the sound was better but they felt a little loose inside the ear. That's the sign of a bad seal right? Same goes for the foamies. I couldn't get a good seal cuz everytime I turned my head it felt like they were gonna fall out.

Last thing I tried were the tri flange ones. I read someone in here calls them the daggars of death LOL. I couldn't get them to go in all the way. I may try to cut one of the flanges off like someone suggested earlier. I'd like to get several extra ones and clip the smallest flange on one and clip the largest flange of another, just to test the difference. And some comply tips might be in order as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnoone
I used the middle sized flex sleeve initially and got what I think is a good seal...So I decide to try the smaller tips...To my surprise, the sound was better but they felt a little loose inside the ear.

Last thing I tried were the tri flange ones...I couldn't get them to go in all the way. I may try to cut one of the flanges off like someone suggested earlier.

Based on the fact that the medium to small sleeves seem to work best for you, I'd highly recommend that you cut off the LARGEST flange of the tri flange. This is what I did and the fit was much better. Too often people just suggest cutting off the smallest flange without consideration for the proper fit in advance.

Otherwise, I'd also highly suggest some additional burn in with bass heavy tracks. It does open them up a bit more, this based on both pairs of the E4c that I've owned. Good luck.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 29
Try different tips and be patient.

Just play with tips and choose the better. (I recomend you the westone orange compry(tm) tips)

And don't think in its sound for a month.

Your brain will adapt to this new sound signature. That will be great because you will be adapted to a very clean and balanced sound, a sign of well educated ear.

If after a month you still need more bass, I recommend you the UM2 or why not the 5EB, but then...you will miss a lot the liquid mids and highs...

I'm missing that E3 mids with my UM2...

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 29
I don't expect you to go to these extremes, but I transplanted the custom earpieces from my UM2 to the E4C with great success. Because there's such a tight seal, and no foam to absorb the sound, there's a very solid bass. All the rest of the sonic range sounds fine, too.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 29
I own both the UE super.fi 5 pro and the Shure E4. I can tell you that you can't expect to have super.fi 5 type of bass on an E4. It wont happen, the E4 has weak bass, it's as simple as that. You can't use the E4 for hip/hop, rap, or techno, it's just too weak. And before people jump all over me by saying this, I used cardas interconnect with Ray Samuels Audio Hornet; amping it has been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back