Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Dec 22, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #541 of 899
Hello! I agree with all the points, except for the fifth point. Audio Source Floating Ball is working, you just need to keep your finger on it longer.

Does anyone even test the firmware before putting it into public access?
How could it have been possible to break more, and at the same time practically fix nothing from the previous mistakes?
Hi, your Audio Source Floating Ball is working? Tht's weird, i'm not trying to move it but wish to press and change the source... nothing happen.
This is the worst update i ever experience, i thought my EM5 broken.

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #542 of 899
Hi, your Audio Source Floating Ball is working?
Yes, the ball works. You need to keep your finger absolutely still. This is extremely difficult, as the screen sensor is very sensitive. Therefore, it is very difficult to hold your finger without moving the Audio Source Floating Ball. It is for this reason that it is of little use and I turn it off.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #543 of 899
Updated with this new EM5 firmware. With Factory Reset.

Reporting: Serious issue here. (Updated)

1. All headphone output no sound. On Streaming, Local Songs and USB Input Dac.
  2. Gain stuck at Turbo, not able to switch.
  3. WIFI connection indication always at No Connection even is connected.
  4. Music auto stop playing when headphone jack unplug - Not working.
  5. Audio Source Floating Ball is not working.

Hello! I agree with all the points, except for the fifth point. Audio Source Floating Ball is working, you just need to keep your finger on it longer.

Does anyone even test the firmware before putting it into public access?
How could it have been possible to break more, and at the same time practically fix nothing from the previous mistakes?

Please make sure your audio output is set to phone output for use with headphones. This is new setting added with firmware update.

Will check on the Wi-Fi indicator and connection.

For the source switch, I would personally recommend turning it off and using the shortcut in swipe-down menu instead. it works better.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 22, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #544 of 899
Updated with this new EM5 firmware. With Factory Reset.

Reporting: Serious issue here. (Updated)

1. All headphone output no sound. On Streaming, Local Songs and USB Input Dac.
  2. Gain stuck at Turbo, not able to switch.
  3. WIFI connection indication always at No Connection even is connected.
  4. Music auto stop playing when headphone jack unplug - Not working.
  5. Audio Source Floating Ball is not working.
The gain can be changed when the switch is on headphone output.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #546 of 899
1. The WiFi indicator is working. Pardon me.
2. Switching gain from tray does not work. Can only be changed in sound settings.
3. When selecting headphone output or preamp output, the selection window closes only after pressing the "cancel" button. It's not logical. It would be better if there was an "OK" button, or the window would automatically close.
4. Opening music files from a network drive (NAS) has become much faster, but cover art, artist name, song title and bit rate are not displayed.
5. Pause when the headphones are turned off does not work (the corresponding function is enabled in the settings).

Thank you for making a separate choice of headphone or preamp output, but please complete the convenient switching.
And next time, please take care to give instructions on innovations for users.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #547 of 899
Please make sure your audio output is set to phone output for use with headphones. This is new setting added with firmware update.

Will check on the Wi-Fi indicator and connection.

For the source switch, I would personally recommend turning it off and using the shortcut in swipe-down menu instead. it works better.
Thank for the advice, after our conversation it was clear now. I didn't notice there is a output selection for phone, my bad.
Other than..
1. Wifi indication of mine still showing "X" at connected icon after wifi is connected.
2. Wifi not auto connect after unit restart.

And the rest just have to get use to it. Cheers.

Dec 22, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #548 of 899
Another bug in the new firmware EM5 V1.5.
When EM5 is connected to PC via USB port, Roon stopped working in ASIO mode. In WASAPI mode it works fine.
Qobuz application continues to work in ASIO mode. I reinstalled the ASIO driver, but to no avail.
For now, the best solution would be to revert to Firmware V1.41. It can be done? Streamer will not turn into a brick after that?

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #549 of 899
Hello everybody.
Became the owner of shanling em-5, did not have time to move away from the shock, because it sounds incredibly cool!
So almost 2 days later I was disappointed with the quality of the software.

I understand that there are few devices on the market right now that can boast of modern and working software.
But yesterday I was able to overcome shanling and managed to activate UPNP and set up mconnect. But three questions remain:
1) Why is it not possible to send an audio stream to the built-in application in Shanling via Qobuz Connect from the application on iOS Qobuz?
2) Why is it impossible to play files 24/192 in the qobuz in the built-in application in shanling when connected via 5GHz wifi? Audio stutters, 24/96 sometimes buggy, but mostly plays stream. Cable connection does not solve the problem, a smartphone from the qobuz application will play these audio files without problems.
3) Will the sound improve when you connect to the Internet with a cable and turn off the Wi-Fi antenna?

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #550 of 899
Hello everybody.
Became the owner of shanling em-5, did not have time to move away from the shock, because it sounds incredibly cool!

I understand that there are few devices on the market right now that can boast of modern and working software.
But yesterday I was able to overcome shanling and managed to activate UPNP and set up mconnect. But three questions remain:
1) Why is it not possible to send an audio stream to the built-in application in Shanling via Qobuz Connect from the application on iOS Qobuz?
2) Why is it impossible to play files 24/192 in the qobuz in the built-in application in shanling when connected via 5GHz wifi? Audio stutters, 24/96 sometimes buggy, but mostly plays stream. Cable connection does not solve the problem, a smartphone from the qobuz application will play these audio files without problems.
3) Will the sound improve when you connect to the Internet with a cable and turn off the Wi-Fi antenna?
Hi, glad you like its sound.

1) Qobuz connect, is it released yet? Last time I saw there was talk they want to release such feature in 2023.
2) Please which firmware version of EM5 you are running? I don't think we are getting such feedback from others.
3) You can test it out, we have no direct recommendations on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #551 of 899
2) Please which firmware version of EM5 you are running? I don't think we are getting such feedback from others.
Through mconnect, playback of Qobuz 24/192 goes without hesitation, when playing music in the built-in application in shanling, playback does not work

Tell me, does tidal connect have support?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #553 of 899
Through mconnect, playback of Qobuz 24/192 goes without hesitation, when playing music in the built-in application in shanling, playback does not work

Tell me, does tidal connect have support?
Will check on Qobuz.
No support for Tidal connect.
1. Tidal MASTER przestał działać poprawnie, następuje przycinanie. Musisz przełączyć się na HiFi, aby działał.
2. Do czego potrzebny jest Floating Bal EXIT?
Clipping with MQA files? Any particular files you could recommend for us to test.
And unfortunately have no idea what you mean by your second point.

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #554 of 899
Hello everybody.

I confirm the second point. Qobuz cannot reproduce the 24/192 signal. Constant stuttering is heard. Tried Wi-Fi 5 GHz and ethernet port. Internet speed is 100 Mbps.

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #555 of 899
1. Tidal MASTER przestał działać poprawnie, następuje przycinanie. Musisz przełączyć się na HiFi, aby działał.
Got my EM5 as christmas present (from me to myself) to have better Streaming and Headphone playback!
The first tests are promising - all though it's hard to find a well corresponding headset - already tested 5 with only one that I like. :L3000:

During my first test I also made the same observation as @MirasM that TIDAL Master quality streaming ist not working (only 1/2 second play and pause = permanent stuttering) - sounds like a permanent rebuffering...
HiFi quality works most (many also unfolds 8x MQA from original 44.1 kHz) - only a few (Master) songs have the same stuttering one HiFi playback als all Master ones.
I have updated to Firmware version 1.5 (as part of the installation procedure) and did a factory reset after the update and the EM5 is connected with LAN (wire) to avoid any WLAN issues.

By the way: The TIDAL app on EM5 is a bit outdated (EM5: 2.52 .1.1050.4778 vs. latest 2.73 .0.1094.9074 on the smartphone) - maybe the newer version, with the latest major updates on the user interface, would help to solve also other issues.

And one more topic: I have often disconnects on the latest Edict Player when using Wireless Projection on my Tablet (often when I use the interface, but even when not pressing anything it disconnects) and the old story of quite often application crashing in TIDAL and MUSIC app is really annoying.
I hope to see soon some improvements in the next firmware update! :beerchug:

Some Screenshots to illustrate are attached:

Attachments

• EM5-MUSIC-App-Crashing_2022-12-22.png
    EM5-MUSIC-App-Crashing_2022-12-22.png
    212.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EM5-TIDAL-App-Crashing_2022-12-22.png
    EM5-TIDAL-App-Crashing_2022-12-22.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • EM5-TIDAL-HiFi-Streaming_2022-12-23.png
    EM5-TIDAL-HiFi-Streaming_2022-12-23.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 0