Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,551 of 6,413
the reason I asked for the comparison is because I love the sony a45 its my first dap I just got It, the controls are nice, build is also nice, the sound is beautiful paired with my vmoda wireless 2. the one thing that is killing me is the proprietary cable from sony to transfer music and charge the unit, its a real bummer. so I might looking into another player...

First DAP always sets the bar.
Mine was an iRiver Hp120. Great player. Deep Deep bass.
The M0 is a nifty device. The GUI is simple but works. LDAC two way is a bonus.
I can connect to my Bose speaker using LDAC and my phone . Just works.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #2,552 of 6,413

that's so funny that is the exact iriver model I had, I called it darth vader, I loved that unit! I might pick up an m0 to play with, what do you lose compared to the brothers,?

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #2,553 of 6,413
Just got the M0 today and am pretty stoked to see how the M0 and DSR9BT performs together...

btw, how do you save your clock/time setting? I can’t seem to save it

D0B1A01A-C005-4B53-A7D9-2F2F14C9A1BB.jpeg

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2,554 of 6,413
Just a short question about the filters: Does the Fast/ Slow refer to the roll-off, e.g. "Fast" roll-off having better extension up to Nyquist or does the "Fast" refer to the ringing, e.g. less ringing (stronger roll-off but better temporal resolution)?

What's the difference between the two Apodizing filters? I assume they both try to be N.O.S. but why are there two?

Names of filters are taken from official specifications of ESS, needed to shorten them for the UI of M0, but in manual you can find full names used by ESS.
Fast mean Fast rol-off.
Apodizing is implemented type 1(linear) and type 2(minimum).

I'm having trouble connecting my m0 to my bluetooth transmiter. It does connect but only in SBC mode, while this adapter does support aptX-LL and aptX. Can i somehow force my m0 to connect via aptX? I've had troubles with connecting it to my phone via LDAC too, and it worked somehow but i have no idea how did it.
Btw this is this adapter http://www.avantree.com/category-bl...ooth-usb-audio-adapter-avantree-dg50-828.html

As is listed in specification of M0, BT receiver mode is limited to SBC, LDAC and AAC.
With your phone, you have two places where to check the connection codec, BT settings of paired device and then advanced user settings.

I bought my speaker from high street shop in London, it can't be fake. The headphones I tried were also bought from a high street store. I don't know if my m0 has issues. Waiting to hear from @Shanling

Honestly, I'm not sure how to help you.
For us and other customers, M0 pairs just fine with Sony products.
It even pairs with your other BT devices.
Since LDAC is software based, I doubt there can be anything wrong with hardware part of your M0, that would be causing this problem.

Last advice, either send it back to your seller or take it to nearest shop with Sony products and try to pair with some other device there, maybe even with help of Sony employee.

I purchased and received the M0 today. I wasn't clear how it could be wired up for use, so I decided to just buy one and try it. I'm also a new owner of the Sony WH-1000XM2, i believe an iPhone is the best transport and I want to send audio using LDAC to the Sony's. Knowing the iPhone doesn't have a DAC and can output pure digital to a DAC, I thought I could use the M0 to convert to LDAC and get high quality audio to the Sony's.

Here are the things I tried and results:
Apple dongle via USB to M0, with hopes of the M0 internal DAC passing audio via LDAC - no output (i believe the M0 can't be powered with this config to use it as a DAC?)
Apple dongle to Dragonfly Red, audio out into the analog headphone jack, with hopes of M0 passing audio via LDAC - no output
Late 2009 iMac (macOS 10.13.6) via USB to M0, with hopes of M0 passing audio via LDAC - no output

M0 doesn't work with iOS as USB DAC, wasn't build for it, doesn't have certification.
When using M0 as USB DAC, it works as DAC, not BT transmitter. hence the name "USB DAC".
M0 doesn't have build in ADC, so connecting analog out from Dragonfly makes no sense.

Unfortunately M0 can't work for your intended purposes, aka getting music from your phone over LDAC to Sony headphones.

Now I figured out why last track is not remembered on my device, Shanling M0 does not work correctly with exFAT formatted mictoSD drive. With FAT32 everything is OK.

If there is Shanling representative on the forum, please correct the problem of the otherwise amazing product.

M0 works just fine with exFAT formatted cards. But problems can be sometimes caused by previous usages of card, so fresh formatting helps with most issues.

Hey @Shanling

When are you guys releasing your flagship, i read somewhere that it will be launched at the end of august. Would you like to shed some light on this.

Hmm, my calendar shows 14th August, so I guess that should give you some answer to your question?

I would like a Shanling with an optical output.

For which purpose? I understand some people are not the biggest fan of USB transfer for audio, I personally also believe you can get slightly better sound over SPDIF, but always preferred coaxial to optical.

btw, how do you save your clock/time setting? I can’t seem to save it

Set the time and then swipe right

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 14, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #2,555 of 6,413
Names of filters are taken from official specifications of ESS, needed to shorten them for the UI of M0, but in manual you can find full names used by ESS.
Fast mean Fast rol-off.
Apodizing is implemented type 1(linear) and type 2(minimum).

As is listed in specification of M0, BT receiver mode is limited to SBC, LDAC and AAC.
With your phone, you have two places where to check the connection codec, BT settings of paired device and then advanced user settings.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to help you.
For us and other customers, M0 pairs just fine with Sony products.
It even pairs with your other BT devices.
Since LDAC is software based, I doubt there can be anything wrong with hardware part of your M0, that would be causing this problem.

Last advice, either send it back to your seller or take it to nearest shop with Sony products and try to pair with some other device there, maybe even with help of Sony employee.

M0 doesn't work with iOS as USB DAC, wasn't build for it, doesn't have certification.
When using M0 as USB DAC, it works as DAC, not BT transmitter. hence the name "USB DAC".
M0 doesn't have build in ADC, so connecting analog out from Dragonfly makes no sense.

Unfortunately M0 can't work for your intended purposes, aka getting music from your phone over LDAC to Sony headphones.

M0 works just fine with exFAT formatted cards. But problems can be sometimes caused by previous usages of card, so fresh formatting helps with most issues.

Hmm, my calendar shows 14th August, so I guess that should give you some answer to your question?

For which purpose? I understand some people are not the biggest fan of USB transfer for audio, I personally also believe you can get slightly better sound over SPDIF, but always preferred coaxial to optical.
I would like ootical output because I use M0 into a Mojo and I feel that it gives the best sound. However I have just ordered the Shanling cord to connect both so maybe that will change my mind.

Set the time and then swipe right

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #2,556 of 6,413
that's so funny that is the exact iriver model I had, I called it darth vader, I loved that unit! I might pick up an m0 to play with, what do you lose compared to the brothers,?

One possible neg for some is the size maybe too small .
I find it a benefit and am use to controlling it.
They are releasing news of a new model possibley today so wait until they have done so.

Aug 14, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,557 of 6,413
One possible neg for some is the size maybe too small .
I find it a benefit and am use to controlling it.
They are releasing news of a new model possibley today so wait until they have done so.

I am more concerned about Shanling finishing this DAP before worrying about a new model. It has been like 6 weeks since the last firmware update and still some things need to be addressed. Like when will we see replaygain be added and Shanling has admitted the touchscreen needs to be more accurate. I would rather Shanling finish the DAP I already own before worrying about buying a new model. Heck I haven't had this one a month yet.

@Shanling can you provide an eta for the next firmware update and what we can expect from it?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #2,558 of 6,413
Considering this is their FIRST DAP with their homegrown OS, it'd be kind of hard to not continue to update it. Even if they introduce another DAP, it's the same OS and still needs to be refined and improved. And being their original device with it, they would alienate their early adopters who would in turn never let them hear the end of it. And I'm sure that would hurt future sales because that rep would carry over.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,559 of 6,413
Shanling's <homegrown OS> has a plenty room for improvements.
Only by the optimization of themes graphics it is possible to reduce its size four times (which will increase the OS responsiveness and speed).
Stripping and optimizing the hciplayer (mplayer) and other binaries will also boost the performance...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,560 of 6,413
Shanling's <homegrown OS> has a plenty room for improvements.
Only by the optimization of themes graphics it is possible to reduce its size four times (which will increase the OS responsiveness and speed).
Stripping and optimizing the hciplayer (mplayer) and other binaries will also boost the performance...

Perhaps you can do a Rockbox for the M0 too, and go really lightweight!

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #2,561 of 6,413

Loved the old irivers had almost every model they made-including the Hp 120. They sounded better than the iaudios (cowon) back then and the creatives, Rio’s, mpios, ipods, Samsungs etc. I did like the old Sony ‘MP3 players’ (as they used to call them back then) they sounded great but hissed more than the irivers.

Sadly I honestly can’t remember my first MP3 player (too old I guess ha ha) but I think it was a rio. I had a nice iriver CD player also, can’t remember the model number... :frowning2:

I miss the old Iriver, AKs are nice but really over priced. And I for one am super excited to see Shanling’s new dap, I hope it isn’t too big :wink:

I personally don’t think the M0’s firmware isn’t that bad at this stage for how young it is and I know Shanling will keep working on it. I don’t expect new firmware every 2 months- would be cool but not going to happen.

Plus there are many dap producers that are much slower in getting out new firmware :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,562 of 6,413
Sadly I honestly can’t remember my first MP3 player (too old I guess ha ha) but I think it was a rio. I had a nice iriver CD player also, can’t remember the model number... :frowning2:
MEMORIES! I remember mine being a Creative model, which was as big as a CD player, but had no tray (who were they trying to fool?). Worked really well for my summer trip around Europe, though. Migrated over to Minidisc shortly afterwards. I blame their ad campaign...when you're a teenager, Cypress Hill + Alien "Muppet" = TAKE MY MONEY.

Still miss that MD player. The fact you could go optical in when transferring was really surprising for that time and price point.

Plus there are many dap producers that are much slower in getting out new firmware :wink:
Starting to think Sony's in that camp with the A45...

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,563 of 6,413
MEMORIES! I remember mine being a Creative model, which was as big as a CD player, but had no tray (who were they trying to fool?). Worked really well for my summer trip around Europe, though. Migrated over to Minidisc shortly afterwards. I blame their ad campaign...when you're a teenager, Cypress Hill + Alien "Muppet" = TAKE MY MONEY.

Still miss that MD player. The fact you could go optical in when transferring was really surprising for that time and price point.

Starting to think Sony's in that camp with the A45...

Yes memories! I had my discman and minidisc phase also. I had a sharp MD DS70 in white that I absolutely adored. Thought it was so cool that most of the controls were on the remote.

C8ABF034-2874-4E10-A636-DC798CEFA1FC.png

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #2,564 of 6,413
I am more concerned about Shanling finishing this DAP before worrying about a new model. It has been like 6 weeks since the last firmware update and still some things need to be addressed. Like when will we see replaygain be added and Shanling has admitted the touchscreen needs to be more accurate. I would rather Shanling finish the DAP I already own before worrying about buying a new model. Heck I haven't had this one a month yet.

I think if they keep the format of the M0 GUI on the next model which i guess they will then software will continue to be improved.
I think they will add as much to the M0 as long as it keeps up.
I respect shanling for what they have done so far and the chap who's keeping tabs on this forum is the best Company representative on the forum.
He's always here replying.

Loved the old irivers had almost every model they made-including the Hp 120. They sounded better than the iaudios (cowon) back then and the creatives, Rio’s, mpios, ipods, Samsungs etc. I did like the old Sony ‘MP3 players’ (as they used to call them back then) they sounded great but hissed more than the irivers.

I miss the old Iriver, AKs are nice but really over priced. And I for one am super excited to see Shanling’s new dap, I hope it isn’t too big :wink:

I personally don’t think the M0’s firmware isn’t that bad at this stage for how young it is and I know Shanling will keep working on it. I don’t expect new firmware every 2 months- would be cool but not going to happen.

I've not included the portable cassette players I have in the late 70's 80's :wink:

Shanling are looking pretty good so far on the updates.

I must admit I fancy the Audiobook addition if it comes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back